Troy Aikmans take is telling

morat1959

Reaction score
Can’t wait until we get another leader like Troy behind center. We have been trying to get by with scraps.
You just hit the nail on the head. How can anyone with a little knowledge of this game say any different. Romo was just a little higher scrap than Dak.

morat1959

Reaction score
Romo was in the same position trying to lead and call plays at the Los to fill the huge void of no HC leadership .. some could make an argument that Dez also tried to fill in for the lack of HC leadership.
Romo was 1/10 the QB Troy was.

plymkr

Reaction score
Lol....you missed the whole point because your so tunnel vision hate.

the point is that the head coach should be the true leader and Aikman hated doing it once jimmy left.

Same issue here with Garrett.
When Jimmy left the coaches on the team were Michael Irvin, Aikman, Woodson. The stars of the team took over but most of the brunt of the leadership fell on Aikman. When Aikman retired we have not had a coach until Parcells came, then once Parcells left we have not had a coach. The problem is 2 fold. Jerry won't hire a coach he can't control. The other problem is Emmitt, Irvin, Woodson, Aikman, etc. were special players and special people that wanted to win so so badly they didn't care about having the extra responsibility of being the unnamed coaches. They just wanted to win at all costs. The players we get want to be famous, look pretty, and if they win great, if not then at least they looked good losing. Our players accept mediocrity from themselves and each other and they don't have a coach, or an owner, that pushes them. That's the main difference between now and 94-99. Aikman and company simply would not lose they just ran out of time to win. Our players come to play on sundays like it's a job, they punch in for the game, do their job and go home and get on IG and Twitter for attention. Those 90's players wanted to win, they didn't care about anything else.

ICP

Reaction score
When Jimmy left the coaches on the team were Michael Irvin, Aikman, Woodson. The stars of the team took over but most of the brunt of the leadership fell on Aikman. When Aikman retired we have not had a coach until Parcells came, then once Parcells left we have not had a coach. The problem is 2 fold. Jerry won't hire a coach he can't control. The other problem is Emmitt, Irvin, Woodson, Aikman, etc. were special players and special people that wanted to win so so badly they didn't care about having the extra responsibility of being the unnamed coaches. They just wanted to win at all costs. The players we get want to be famous, look pretty, and if they win great, if not then at least they looked good losing. Our players accept mediocrity from themselves and each other and they don't have a coach, or an owner, that pushes them. That's the main difference between now and 94-99. Aikman and company simply would not lose they just ran out of time to win. Our players come to play on sundays like it's a job, they punch in for the game, do their job and go home and get on IG and Twitter for attention. Those 90's players wanted to win, they didn't care about anything else.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Can’t wait until we get another leader like Troy behind center. We have been trying to get by with scraps.

And yet, his leadership still didn't elevate the team once the talent level dipped in the late 90's

And that's not an attack on Troy

Freaking loved the guy. Still do

Just noting that despite his leadership, once Jerry had total control of everything and the considerable dynasty eroded post Jimmy, Aikman knew it was a lost cause

He was smart to cut bait when he did

I don't blame him a bit

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Troy was going to decline no matter what. His play was part of the problem after the 95 season. He had about 5 elite seasons in the NFL before he fell off a cliff.

There's probably some truth to this

Part of it was probably the same thing Tony dealt with. Took such regular savage beatings early in career, probably cost them both on the back end in terms of longevity

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And yet, his leadership still didn't elevate the team once the talent level dipped in the late 90's

And that's not an attack on Troy

Freaking loved the guy. Still do

Just noting that despite his leadership, once Jerry had total control of everything and the considerable dynasty eroded post Jimmy, Aikman knew it was a lost cause

He was smart to cut bait when he did

I don't blame him a bit
That last SB win I knew it was over. I didn't even enjoy that game. It was like we lucked out and afterwards all the media talked about was how the Steelers lost not that the Cowboys won.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
There's probably some truth to this

Part of it was probably the same thing Tony dealt with. Took such regular savage beatings early in career, probably cost them both on the back end in terms of longevity
He was a shell of himself at the end. I wanted him to retire for his own good. That 2000 season was brutal.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
That last SB win I knew it was over. I didn't even enjoy that game. It was like we lucked out and afterwards all the media talked about was how the Steelers lost not that the Cowboys won.

LOL

I wonder if Larry Brown is still in possession of Neil O'Donnell's MVP trophy from Super Bowl XXX :laugh:

plymkr

Reaction score
He was practically the coach after Jimmy left.
Yep, the fact that they won the 95 championship shows how great a QB and leader he was. Not to disrespect any other QB or super bowl in NFL history but that '95 super bowl championship is one of the greatest athletic accomplishments in history by Aikman. Think about this. During that season he was accused by the media for throwing 3 games to get Switzer fired, the 2 Commanders games and the horrible San Francisco blowout in Texas stadium. The media (skip bayless) allegedly stated that Aikman threw those games to get Norv Turner to replace Switzer. Speaking of Skippy Bayless he started a rumor that Troy was gay during the '95 season. John Blake, the DL coach accused Troy of being racist and Switzer just sat there and watched the drama unfold without showing any leadership at all. Also Jerry started his Pepsi marketing thing that made the league very angry and they filed a 500 million dollar lawsuit at Jerry and Jerry fired a 650 million lawsuit back at the league. Every single week there was some headlining drama with this team. But most of the talk was about the feud between Aikman, Switzer and Blake.

Not to be biased but I really don't see any QB that had to be the de-facto head coach and deal with rumors about his sexuality, whether or not he's racist, and a constant fight with his head coach and all the distractions from Jerry and get his team to rise above it all and win a championship. I think that's the greatest accomplishment in NFL history, or in the top five. I wonder if most people realize the mental and physical toughness it took for Troy to lead this team to a super bowl win with all that working against him. Troy was the man!!!!!!

Hey on a lighter note, does anyone remember when Switzer got caught taking a pistol threw the dallas airport. Imagine trying to win a super bowl with someone as dumb as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
He was a shell of himself at the end. I wanted him to retire for his own good. That 2000 season was brutal.

I was at the Cardinals blowout in 2000, the game that got their coach fired (Joe Bugel I think)

I remember feeling really irritated that a sizeable contingent of fans wanted Aikman benched for Cunningham

You could tell our team had totally fallen into disarray. Even though we won that day it was tough to watch, knowing what these guys had been just 6 years earlier

CowTiger

Reaction score
Troy's back was shot and he couldn't put his helmet on without getting a concussion. All that is true, but in the documentary he made sure to state he didn't like the direction the franchise was going. Clearly a shot at the FO

Cole Beasley has been very outspoken about this as well. If Jerry would ever JUST BE AN OWNER! But apparently his ego is too big to see that.

bewp7

Reaction score
troy is 100% right that they should have won way more, and i hope cowboys fans realize what kind of person jerry jones is. always remember that jerry jones was willing to destroy a dynasty because he couldn’t handle jimmy johnson getting more credit than him for the cowboys success. that’s jerry jones and who he is.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I feel like Jerry wasted Romo and Wittens carreers pretty much as well

Don't forget DeMarcus Ware

And honestly there are some current players you could probably add. Tyron Smith.

Probably could even put a guy like Flozell on that list. We've been fortunate to have really good Left Tackles for a good portion of the 2000's with not much to show for it

CowTiger

Reaction score
troy is 100% right that they should have won way more, and i hope cowboys fans realize what kind of person jerry jones is. always remember that jerry jones was willing to destroy a dynasty because he couldn’t handle jimmy johnson getting more credit than him for the cowboys success. that’s jerry jones and who he is.

I’ve always wondered how any owner in his right mind could fire a back-to-back Super Bowl winning coach the next year.