CFZ True Litmus Test for Dak this season!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Seems like this board has more Dak haters then supporters. Take away the hate for a second, last year's personnel was one of the worse he has ever had:

-Gallup clearly wasn't the same player after his injury and probably shouldn't have had a big role. Tolbert gave the team nothing in his 1st season as a 3rd rd pick. Noah Brown, who has always been more of a special teamer was our #2 WR by default. A passing offense of Lamb, Brown and Shultz isn't going to be successful against any legitimate defense.

-Zeke clearly has held this team back as he isn't the same player at all. Many will say that he has hurt the team more then he has helped it not just last season but a few prior.

-Team lost Tyron for basically the regular season and had to play a green rookie at Tackle who practiced only as a Guard throughout camp. Team had to sign a 40 year Tackle for insurance. Lost their other Tackle Steele late in the season, who was the team's best run blocker. Once he went down, our run game disappeared.

-Dak was basically forced into many 3rd and longs facing teams who put extra men in coverage. Take out Lamb and let Brown or Shultz beat them. That isn't a winning formula. Yes, Dak had a career year in interceptions, where he had to force many passes into tight windows.

This year, team added a legitimate #2 WR in Cooks who has the blow off the top speed. He should open up the offense for others. Tolbert appears to have made the next step in his development, Gallup looks better, players like Vaughn/Turpin will add more juice to the offense that was lacking any playmakers outside of Lamb/Pollard.

Dak hater or not, this is the year we can get an actual true litmus test on Dak as the QB.
You're right. On the same token, Cooper Rush also managed to have some success out there with the same personnel. I'm not big on the whole hater thing. But I do think it might be time to consider moving on if he can't get it done with this roster and give another player a chance.

I agree on the litmus test. We won't have a team this talented on paper for a long time. Gilmore and Cooks are on rentals..

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're right. On the same token, Cooper Rush also managed to have some success out there with the same personnel. I'm not big on the whole hater thing. But I do think it might be time to consider moving on if he can't get it done with this roster and give another player a chance.

I agree on the litmus test. We won't have a team this talented on paper for a long time. Gilmore and Cooks are on rentals..
Cooper rush himself had zero success as a quarterback had us in the bottom 10 in offense could barely score a touchdown couldn't get third downs done punted a lot I mean do we need to go back game by game and show you that that team was playing at an absolute elite level before all the injuries and whatnot started to happen.... We're talking about the playoffs, last time I checked Cooper rush had zero success in the playoffs he would not even have been in the games that Prescott has been forced to play without a run game the offensive line has been weak... Not just the last three playoff losses without talking about the defense that was really bad his first two years..

But go ahead breakdown the games Washington game with Cooper rush two interceptions called back yeah we won the game but it was because of the defense how about the Rams game you call that a good game the man had two fumbles he had 107 total yards passing, he literally could have just walked over to the sideline after the snap and we would have won that game, then we could talk about the complete meltdown in the Philly game with three interceptions..

Cooper was a mirage in a very long dry desert and fans were like needed water the dak haters they couldn't distinguish the real from the fake.. That team those five weeks played at an elite level on offense defense special teams the run game and the offensive line what's the best that they played all year and that wasn't the case all year especially after Prescott came back..

Now back to the playoffs, you can't expect a quarterback to win when your offensive line has 11 penalties there's 14 penalties in a game or when the offensive line has absolutely no run game they can't block and they can't open holes..FACTS REAL Facts

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Dak’s been proving himself for 7 years. He has nothing to prove. He’s going to be here for a very long time. The only litmus test is whether the haters have the gonads to admit they were wrong or not. Most of them don’t have what it takes.
Dak and Romo are pretty much the same QB. Not that they aren't different people. But both have just enough to get the job done, but never have.

NYC is right. If Dak can't get it done this year, I think it's time to move on. It's really not about hate. It's about how much do you want to pay a QB when you have to pay at least 52 other guys, likely more, and that QB is eating up 1/4th of the team's money.

Dak can be a nice guy, Walter Payton Man of the Year, a great role model, leader, all of that, but that's a whole lot of money that I think spread around would do more good for more people. Just how I see it.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak and Romo are pretty much the same QB. Not that they aren't different people. But both have just enough to get the job done, but never have.

NYC is right. If Dak can't get it done this year, I think it's time to move on. It's really not about hate. It's about how much do you want to pay a QB when you have to pay at least 52 other guys, likely more, and that QB is eating up 1/4th of the team's money.

Dak can be a nice guy, Walter Payton Man of the Year, a great role model, leader, all of that, but that's a whole lot of money that I think spread around would do more good for more people. Just how I see it.
Dakchoka has consistently played on much better teams than Romo, particularly on the defensive side and during in an era of facing weaker quarterbacks. There isn't much of a comparison between the two except they both play(ed) quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. Very different players to boot.

blueblood70

Reaction score

So go ahead cut the top ten quarterback with no plan and no real guarantee that you're going to get better by letting him go and you talk about his salary well... I believe $39 million will still be on the dead cap hit..

if you're willing to give up all that to save a little money, that's you're not really saving a whole lot.​
Even if Prescott agreed to a trade with a no trade clause, I believe you still have to eat that money on your cap... so whether you cut him or trade him and he may not even agree to a trade because if you try to cut this guy now he's just going to tell you to go fly a kite. so that way he can go pick the team he goes instead of being trade to it and you're going to have to eat his dead cap money no matter what...​
Then what??? I mean at work what do you think our records going to be this year where do you think we're going to be picking from where do you think we're getting our quarterback from you think Trey Lance is the answer??​
is that what you're trying to infer?​
because if you are I'm going to have to put you on the ignore list.. Don't say our defense and all that other stuff is so great we're like the 85 bears that we can roll with an average quarterback no it's not did you not see the defense in the middle of the season last year give up all those rushing yards, give up those two big blown overtime losses ,and at times all the points that were given up I mean did you not see the fact that we had to score 40 points against the Eagles and Prescott got it done.. The 85 bears gave up like 11points a game and they shut you down at every level there was no weaknesses on that defense.. I'm sorry but our defense and our special teams and all the other things around the team are not gonna cover up the fact that you don't have a top ten quarterback at the helm. I mean do you really believe that our offensive line is dominant enough to have a strong run game also that you need when you have a less than good quarterback like Cooper or Trey Lance or someone you draft??​

Newsflash they are not I don't know what you've been watching that offensive line and the run game are part of the issue in the playoffs, we don't have a strong enough run game or an OL to block consistently against the better front 7s...

Show me your plan Mr. Internet GM expert where are we going to get a quarterback from and take into account there's at least 16 teams still trying to find their quarterbacks but yet you think we can cut ours and easily find his replacement to save some money against the cap??

So what you're saying is you hate winning enough to get into the second round of the playoffs but you rather lose for a few years in hopes with no guarantees that we'll finally get back to a Super Bowl is that what you're saying?? that the windows still open for Prescott and this team and yet you're willing to let him go even if we get to the second round of the playoffs again this year but a failure to get to the NFC championship game???? You do real how hard it is to find a starting quarterback in this league especially one on Prescott 's level.​

And you all keep saying he, he can't get it done, UMM TRY they can't get it done..TEAM

that's the reality Romo and Prescott were not the sole reasons we're not making it to the NFC championship game and that's a fact we would be far worse without both of them it already showed.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Cooper rush himself had zero success as a quarterback had us in the bottom 10 in offense could barely score a touchdown couldn't get third downs done punted a lot I mean do we need to go back game by game and show you that that team was playing at an absolute elite level before all the injuries and whatnot started to happen.... We're talking about the playoffs, last time I checked Cooper rush had zero success in the playoffs he would not even have been in the games that Prescott has been forced to play without a run game the offensive line has been weak... Not just the last three playoff losses without talking about the defense that was really bad his first two years..

But go ahead breakdown the games Washington game with Cooper rush two interceptions called back yeah we won the game but it was because of the defense how about the Rams game you call that a good game the man had two fumbles he had 107 total yards passing, he literally could have just walked over to the sideline after the snap and we would have won that game, then we could talk about the complete meltdown in the Philly game with three interceptions..

Cooper was a mirage in a very long dry desert and fans were like needed water the dak haters they couldn't distinguish the real from the fake.. That team those five weeks played at an elite level on offense defense special teams the run game and the offensive line what's the best that they played all year and that wasn't the case all year especially after Prescott came back..

Now back to the playoffs, you can't expect a quarterback to win when your offensive line has 11 penalties there's 14 penalties in a game or when the offensive line has absolutely no run game they can't block and they can't open holes..FACTS REAL Facts
They put a leash on Cooper Rush last year. His arm strength really hurts him. I wasn't saying Cooper was the next Tony Romo, or whatever. Just that the team was good enough to win with. This year, the team is even better.

If we had Mahomes on this team, what would our odds of winning the SB be? I'd say at least near 50 percent.

What is it with Dak? Hard to say.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

My point was last year we had one of the worst supporting casts for Dak and the offense. This year should be a better litmus test to see if Dak continues being the QB for this franchise.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Rodgers and Brees were performing in the playoffs. Rodgers didn't have that great a team around him for many years.They had the misfortune of playing in the Brady Era also. As I said before that SBs and championship games are for QBs that perform against good teams. You're not winning a championship beating the snot of the Bucs. You have to be able to go out and make plays against good defenses even if you struggled all day. You still need to find a way to get these plays made. That's where Dak falls short and so does cousins neither guy is going to ever win anything because they don't have the mental capacity or the physical talent which you need both and once again it all comes down to pedigree unless your name is Brady.
Brees was awful outside the dome, Rodgers also has had his share of terrible losses in the postseason.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They put a leash on Cooper Rush last year. His arm strength really hurts him. I wasn't saying Cooper was the next Tony Romo, or whatever. Just that the team was good enough to win with. This year, the team is even better.

If we had Mahomes on this team, what would our odds of winning the SB be? I'd say at least near 50 percent.

What is it with Dak? Hard to say.
You're making assumption the teams better.. Nice assumption that you know what assumption means... Leash? on Cooper rush, umm no that is who he is there's no leash that is Cooper rush has nothing to do with his arm strength... he is not a very good quarterback that's why he's ranked about 40th in the league... You do realize people have access to his film and you expose them to the practice squad how many times we've let him go he's been a free agent he hasn't got any actual hits even as a backup and people were saying hey Kellen Moore he's going to follow him and be the backup to Herbert because he knows the system very well,

CRICKETS not one offer...

anyone who feels like Cooper rushed at anything but a very average to sub average job last year is looking through it with dak hater goggles.

GINeric

Reaction score
So in other words the Dakfanatics on here that disappear a Dallas loss in which Dak plays poorly, in your mind, are not real fans either. Got it.
I would assume these "Dakfanatics" are Cowboys fans. I see real Cowboys fans post here after wins AND losses. I'm trying to figure out why people have a problem supporting Dallas Cowboys players that currently play for the Dallas Cowboys. Please make that make sense.

But since you volunteered yourself in this conversation, maybe you can tell me why a Cowboys fan would ONLY post after losses and disappear and never verbally celebrate with the other Dallas Cowboys fans here. Why do those particular fans appear to be down when we when, but more than happy to post after losses?

I'll wait....

GMO415

Reaction score
So outside Geno Smith, seven years aint enough?
giphy.gif

leeblair

Reaction score
Dak has already had his litmus tests and failed every year.
This is just another season the Cowboys go into without a leader under center.
If he is their leader, football is not what he is leading. Maybe in press conference etiquette.
It is, however, a chance for him to redeem himself and do better.

plasticman

Reaction score
We already know Dak by now so much that we can consider 2022 a fluke because it is a complete contradiction of Dak's numbers up to that season.

There are 137 quarterbacks in history that threw 2000 or more passes. Prior to the 2022 season only Rodgers and Mahomes had a lower INT rate. Only Cousins and Brees had a higher completion rate. Dak was #5 in passer rating of all quarterbacks that threw 2000 or more passes since 1970.

After last season, Dak is #5 in lowest INT rate, still #3 in completion rate and #6 in passer rating.

Of the 36 quarterbacks eligible for advanced statistics, Dak is 3rd behind Mahomes and Brees in success rate, which counts the times a pass covers a certain percentage of the necessary yards for a first down depending on particular down. He is ranked 6th for On Target percentage.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My point was last year we had one of the worst supporting casts for Dak and the offense. This year should be a better litmus test to see if Dak continues being the QB for this franchise.
True, true ....time for Dak to dispel the nagging doubt that he just cant elevate and step up when trailing against a good defense. As previous threads have mentioned, if he cant do it with this roster, it's highly unlikely that in the next few years ,when the big extensions start effecting the overall roster (and depth).
What's fair is that there's a team (and different offensive strategy) that will give him a chance, the worry is that the bar has also been raised ......and there's no longer an excuse (we've already heard complaints about o-line depth, well suck it up, that's the converse side of paying the top end and it'll only get worse).

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I would assume these "Dakfanatics" are Cowboys fans. I see real Cowboys fans post here after wins AND losses. I'm trying to figure out why people have a problem supporting Dallas Cowboys players that currently play for the Dallas Cowboys. Please make that make sense.

But since you volunteered yourself in this conversation, maybe you can tell me why a Cowboys fan would ONLY post after losses and disappear and never verbally celebrate with the other Dallas Cowboys fans here. Why do those particular fans appear to be down when we when, but more than happy to post after losses?

I'll wait....
...and as I asked already, why do certain members-only post after a Dallas win but disappear after a Dallas loss? I'll wait....

USArmyVet

Reaction score
We already know Dak by now so much that we can consider 2022 a fluke because it is a complete contradiction of Dak's numbers up to that season.

There are 137 quarterbacks in history that threw 2000 or more passes. Prior to the 2022 season only Rodgers and Mahomes had a lower INT rate. Only Cousins and Brees had a higher completion rate. Dak was #5 in passer rating of all quarterbacks that threw 2000 or more passes since 1970.

After last season, Dak is #5 in lowest INT rate, still #3 in completion rate and #6 in passer rating.

Of the 36 quarterbacks eligible for advanced statistics, Dak is 3rd behind Mahomes and Brees in success rate, which counts the times a pass covers a certain percentage of the necessary yards for a first down depending on particular down. He is ranked 6th for On Target percentage.
Interesting seeing as how the NFL passer rating did not take effect until 1973.

CCBoy

Reaction score

The penalties are a relevant feature that could raise it's head again. Hopefully not. McCarthy should immediately blow fire for about a week with the first outbreak.

Those lapses in focus affects other areas of play and well are the actual causes for losses against top playing teams in the playoffs, (San Francisco)

CCBoy

Reaction score

I'll wait....
A discussion, C'mon.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Newsflash they are not I don't know what you've been watching that offensive line and the run game are part of the issue in the playoffs, we don't have a strong enough run game or an OL to block consistently against the better front 7s...
People forget this is a symbiotic relationship between the QB, offensive line, and the running game. Also, a good defense can get involved too in why things don't work.

If one of the controlled variables is lacking, that can affect the others. The only real assessment to see what is(are) the issue(s) is to wholistic analyze the quality of the talent, the plays called, mistakes made, etc.

It's not as simple as generally saying that the offensive line and run game suck or sucked. It could also be because teams don't respect the QB as much. It's just a fact that defenses will respect someone like Maholmes or Herbert more than Dak, just like they will respect Dak more than Rush, etc.