Try this cooking thread

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Baked Alaska

10 ½ tablespoons Butter
5.3 Ounces Egg Whites (from about 5 large eggs, room temperature)
0.12 cup Whole Almonds (toasted, cooled, then finely ground)
½ cup Whole Pistachios (toasted, cooled, then finely ground)
1 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
add Salt
⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour (plus 1 tablespoon, 50 grams)
1 ½ teaspoons Unsweetened Pistachio Paste
3 cups Sugar
½ cup Lemon Juice (plus 1 tablespoon, 133 milliliters, freshly squeezed)
2 tablespoons Water
6 Large Egg Yolks
3 Lemons (Zest of)
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
1 cup Egg Whites (room temperature)

th

1. Step 1
    Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter is a toasty brown color and smells nutty. Pour butter into a heatproof bowl; let cool to room temperature.

2. Step 2
    Heat the oven to 350. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and coat with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

3. Step 3
    In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites until tripled in volume. Whites should look like shaving cream and hold a stiff peak.

4. Step 4
    On slow setting, whisk in the toasted almonds, pistachios, sugar, salt and flour. Whisk in the pistachio paste until fully incorporated, then the browned butter.

5. Step 5
    Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely, then remove it from the pan.
Make the Lemon Semifreddo

1. Step 1
    Line a small metal 5- to 6-cup-capacity bowl with plastic wrap; set aside.

2. Step 2
    In a small, clean and dry nonreactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and the water. Let liquid saturate the sugar before setting on heat. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches 250 degrees — hard-ball stage on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Do not stir or swirl the sugar. Cover with a tightfitting lid for a few seconds to create moisture, if needed.

3. Step 3
    Whisk egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed until they are thick and pale in color, about 5 minutes.

4. Step 4
    When the sugar reaches 250 degrees, remove it from the heat. With the mixer on low speed, carefully pour the sugar into the yolks, taking care to pour down the inside of the bowl so that the sugar doesn’t hit the moving whisk and spin into a mess of threads. Whisk until fully incorporated.

5. Step 5
    Add the zest, vanilla and remaining lemon juice, and increase the speed to medium. Continue to beat until the mixture is completely cool; transfer to a large bowl.
    1. Step 6
      Wipe out the mixing bowl, then whisk the heavy cream until it holds stiff peaks. Gently mix the whipped cream into the lemon-sugar mixture until fully incorporated.

2. Step 7
      Pour the mixture into the prepared bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until firm
  6. Make the Meringue
    1. Step 1
      Bring a full inch of water to a boil in a wide pot. In a bowl large enough to sit on top of the pot without touching the water, combine the sugar and egg whites. Place the bowl over the pot of boiling water, and whisk until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Run your finger across the bottom of the mixture to be sure there are no grains of undissolved sugar.

2. Step 2
      Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk on high speed until the meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks and is no longer warm at all, about 7 minutes.

1. Step 3
        Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
    1. To Assemble the Baked Alaska
      1. Step 1
        Cut a 6-inch round from the cake.

2. Step 2
        Remove the semifreddo from the mold, and invert on top of the cake, creating a dome.

3. Step 3
        Working from the bottom of the cake, pipe the meringue around the entire dome.

4. Step 4
        Freeze until ready to serve.

5. Step 5
        Using a kitchen torch, brown the meringue all over until toasty.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What is "Goulash"?

I love a good American Goulash, but sometimes I mix it up depending on my mood. I always use ground beef, but I'll also add some chorizo and seasonings to make it Mexican Goulash, or add some diced andouille sausage to make Cajun Goulash, or some Italian sausage to make Italian Goulash. I also like throwing in a few veggies depending on what type I make or have on hand.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It is my prayer today that each of you enjoy your day. Go forth in life and make someone's day better than you found it.

Grow from experience, learn from failure and know you were not the first to walk this path.

When you look back, make sure you like what you see.

"This was my Grandfather's prayer, and he would have been 101 today!"

:clap:

rags747

Reaction score
Who deep fries a Turkey for Thanksgiving? That is my plan this year, thoughts?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Ham day in the MWH house.

Super easy, super lazy going to watch Ohio State play later today.

Last edited: