Try this cooking thread

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
A couple easy ones from living in HI

Potato Mac salad- basically a mix of potato and elbow macaroni made up similar to potato salad

Served at every plate lunch place. You get your main, scoop of potato Mac and a scoop of sticky rice.

Potatoes
Elbow macaroni
Mayo
Dijon
Hard boiled eggs
Sweet onion
Green onion
Bacon (optional)
Some hot sauce
I also throw a bit of curry powder in (optional)
S & P

Oven Kailua pig- different way to prepare a pork butt that imitates the imu cooked pig you get at luaus
Pork butt- bone in is better IMO but boneless works. Needs to have a fat cap
Liquid smoke
Hawaiian Salt like Ono. You can find it cheaper elsewhere and it’s great on steaks and seafood
https://www.amazon.com/Ono-Hawaiian-Seasoning-Hawaii-Ounce/dp/B001Q2MMZM

Poke the butt a bit and rub salt and liquid smoke on it. Put it in a Dutch oven or similar (foil roasting pan etc) fat side up. Add a 1” of water to pan and wrap tightly with foil. Cook it at 300 for 5 or 6 hours. If it has a bone it’s done when the bone pulls out clean. No bone check to see it it falls apart easily. You really can’t overcook it.

After done pull the fat cap off and discard. Pour off most of the liquid in the pan and pull the pork apart with a couple forks. Take a cup of hot water and add a TBS or so of more Ono and some more liquid smoke. Add that mixture to the shredded pork. You want it moist but not soaking wet. Serve with sticky rice.

Sam Choy’s recipe has more detail. I think the banana leaves add a bit of flavor but if you can’t get them don’t worry about it. Goya puts out frozen ones you can usually find. I also use a bit more liquid smoke then he does and a bit less water at the end but basically the same.

I love doing butts on my barrel cooker but this is an easy way to change it up some. This can also be done in a crock pot. Turn it on low in the AM and you’ll be good for dinner.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sam-choys-oven-roasted-kalua-pig-233927

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Popeyes ghost pepper wings are serious good but be ready they are pirdy hot I love um but I am a chili head I have pepper X ordered it for a while they said it would not be released to the general public cause it was to hot For beginner chili heads be careful the really hot peppers can kill you it has happened

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Popeyes ghost pepper wings are serious good but be ready they are pirdy hot I love um but I am a chili head I have pepper X ordered it for a while they said it would not be released to the general public cause it was to hot For beginner chili heads be careful the really hot peppers can kill you it has happened

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
  • Save
  • Shop
  • Keep Screen On
There's no way around it; the best part of picnics is the potato salad. Pair our creamy potato salad recipe with barbeque, anything from the grill or even as a potluck entrée! For any warm-weather get-togethers, this potato salad recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Co...
by Betty Crocker Kitchens

Updated May 17, 2021

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2pounds round red or white potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled
  • 1 1/2cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1tablespoon white or cider vinegar
  • 1tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1/4teaspoon pepper
  • 2medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
  • 1medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 4hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • Paprika, if desired

Steps
    Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.
    Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl.
    Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill. Store covered in
  • Save
  • Shop
  • Keep Screen On
There's no way around it; the best part of picnics is the potato salad. Pair our creamy potato salad recipe with barbeque, anything from the grill or even as a potluck entrée! For any warm-weather get-togethers, this potato salad recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Co...
by Betty Crocker Kitchens

Updated May 17, 2021

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2pounds round red or white potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled
  • 1 1/2cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1tablespoon white or cider vinegar
  • 1tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1/4teaspoon pepper
  • 2medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
  • 1medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 4hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • Paprika, if desired

Steps
    Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.
    Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl.
    Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill. Store covered in refrigerator.
How did you obtain my Mom’s recipe for Potato Salad? She’s gonna be so pissed.