Trysten Hill: What Do Inactive Mean?

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys rookie defender did not know what being inactive means. He knows now.
1 hour ago

jrswsn9prtjvyirg3fsk.jpg

by Mac Engel

FRISCO

Trysten Hill did not see it coming, because he did not even know the term existed.

The Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive tackle from Central Florida was unaware that there existed a possibility he would not at least suit up for the season opener against the New York Giants.

He said he was told of the Cowboys decision to make him inactive for the opener on Sunday, the day of the game, hours before kickoff. That’s a fairly standard procedure for the inactive players.

“I didn’t even know that this existed, that you only dress 46 and not all 53,” Hill said. “I didn’t even know what being ‘inactive’ was.”

Safe to say he knows now.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article234991837.html

----
VkVxgu0.gif

Our D line is pretty good considering how badly it appears we missed on our last 2 early round D line picks

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Yeah but he didn't dress on Sunday and he let the world know how upset about he was on Saturday through social media. I bet he's off this team before Trysten.

I'd sure hope so seeing as hill is a rookie lol

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys rookie defender did not know what being inactive means. He knows now.
1 hour ago

jrswsn9prtjvyirg3fsk.jpg

by Mac Engel

FRISCO

Trysten Hill did not see it coming, because he did not even know the term existed.

The Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive tackle from Central Florida was unaware that there existed a possibility he would not at least suit up for the season opener against the New York Giants.

He said he was told of the Cowboys decision to make him inactive for the opener on Sunday, the day of the game, hours before kickoff. That’s a fairly standard procedure for the inactive players.

“I didn’t even know that this existed, that you only dress 46 and not all 53,” Hill said. “I didn’t even know what being ‘inactive’ was.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article234991837.html

The Cowboys drafted Hill with the full intention of giving him a red-shirt year to develop. That's the ONLY thing him being inactive means. Collins is balling out in front of him, and Hill allows the Cowboys to make choices in 2020 about whether to keep Collins or let him walk. Also, the Cowboys have BOTH Crawford and Collins to play the 3-tech, not to mention Hyder on his one-year deal.

I said it when they drafted him. Don't expect to see anything from Hill in 2019 unless there are a flurry of injuries.

Verdict

Reaction score
How a professional football player doesn’t know about that rule is beyond me. It doesn’t sound like he is the sharpest crayon in the box.

I would venture to say that 85 percent of the posters on this website know about that rule. How a fan can know the rule and a guy drafted in the second round doesn’t doesn’t bode well for his overall football knowledge.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys drafted Hill with the full intention of giving him a red-shirt year to develop. That's the ONLY thing him being inactive means. Collins is balling out in front of him, and Hill allows the Cowboys to make choices in 2020 about whether to keep Collins or let him walk. Also, the Cowboys have BOTH Crawford and Collins to play the 3-tech, not to mention Hyder on his one-year deal.

I said it when they drafted him. Don't expect to see anything from Hill in 2019 unless there are a flurry of injuries.

That is such revisionist history. Lol.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
LOL ...at least he was honest. Not something I would have admitted but he did.

I'm still trying to understand how he didn't know about game day inactives!?!? You play a sport all of your life to the point of getting drafted, watched the NFL (most likely dreamed of playing for his favorite team) yet doesn't know the basics of game day roster mgmt?

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
It's time to increase rosters to 60, game day to 55. If there is to be 18 games at some point, it should be a no brainer

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The reason Taco is on the chopping block has more to do with his attitude and effort. The Cowboys hung on to Escobar for four years. But they'll cut loose a malcontent more quickly. If Charlton had good work habits, the Cowboys would be sticking with him - just like they stuck with DeMarcus Lawrence, who was pretty much a flop after 3 seasons, and the reason they drafted Charlton in 2017. But Lawrence had good work habits, which resulted in a break-out year in 2017. That made Charlton superfluous. But the Cowboys would still keep him if he had a good attitude and good work habits.

What Garrett won't put up with is less than full effort, and a bad attitude. Despite the naysayers who think Garrett has no clout, he does have the influence to send a player packing if he doesn't like their attitude or effort.

Which all means that as long as Hill maintains a good attitude and healthy work habits, the Cowboys will give him every chance to grow into the player they hope he can be. If he quits on the team, then the Cowboys will quit on him also - as apparently has happened with Charlton.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
How? Does that affect his performance knowing that he might not dress? In college, lots of guys who dress don't get in the game. You've gotta compete to play regardless.

Why would the coaches spend time explaining something that most fans know when it will make ZERO difference in the player's approach?

Garrett even said that it is a competition to get on the gameday roster but apparently Trysten Hill didn't know about it. I think it could make a difference in the player's approach.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 hour ago

jrswsn9prtjvyirg3fsk.jpg

by Mac Engel

FRISCO

----
VkVxgu0.gif
Okay then!!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't see what the big deal is. So he didn't know. Shrug.
You're right. Having been playing college ball until now, I'm sure the thought never occurred to him that not everyone on the team gets dressed. I don't know how much NFL he watched during his time playing, but it's probably a lot less than us, and he's probably not the only one who didn't know.

stiletto

Reaction score
Wow, what did he score on his wonderlic? Like a 1, for his name maybe?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still trying to understand how he didn't know about game day inactives!?!? You play a sport all of your life to the point of getting drafted, watched the NFL (most likely dreamed of playing for his favorite team) yet doesn't know the basics of game day roster mgmt?

Not all college players focus on watching NFL games.

Many are more interested in their competition which means other college teams.

College teams have ALL healthy players active for home games.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Well now that he knows I want to see if the rookie can dig deep and earn that game day Jersey without the benefit of injury. Hurt pride can sometimes be a motivator.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is such revisionist history. Lol.
Somewhere in between.

Marinelli said in an interview in OTAs that Hill was in the caboose of the train.

During camp he upgrade that statement to Hill being in the Dining Car but not having the menu yet.

I don't think the team put his name in ink to be active for game 1 back when they drafted him.

On the other hand I don't think they are planning for it to take a year before he contributes.

Jerry has only ever said that he expects 1st round picks to play extensively as rookies.

If Hill has not been active by mid-season then I'll be a little concerned; although, if everyone stays healthy and Quinn returns healthy, I don't know who I would make inactive. They'll already have to make one of the players that were active for game 1 inactive when Quinn returns. Making Hill active after Quinn returns means make 2 players that were active for game 1 inactive for game 3.

When they elected to keep Crawford and his salary, they limited the chances for Hill. Crawford started at RDE but he played significant snaps at 3-tech DT.

Woods and Collins are the starting DTs.

Covington is a 1-tech that can play 3-tech which is really what they need as the 4th DT.

The biggest need for Hill was as a replacement for Collins who is a free agent after the season AND as a 2019 injury replacement option.

Hill would have been active if he had been draft in 2018 considering the makeup of the DL roster to start the 2018 season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Garrett even said that it is a competition to get on the gameday roster but apparently Trysten Hill didn't know about it. I think it could make a difference in the player's approach.

He could easily have interpreted that as "playing on gameday" as they do in college. Everyone dresses, not everyone plays.