T'Sweat - Texas

1942willys

Reaction score
If he was taken in the 2nd or with a trade back in the first, do you feel better about this run defense? How is he compared to his teammate Murphy?
get him to lose some weight but I think he would truly plug the middle. Now worth a first? No. To me he is at best a middle second round player

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m not using a top 60 pick on a guy that will play 50% of the snaps at best. No thanks

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This team’s DL is a bigger problem than the OL. Team needs to get bigger and more athletic. Sweat could certainly help, but we need more. If he’s the pick with our 2nd pick I could deal with it, but he would not be my 1st pick even with a trade back.

Hardline

Reaction score
Sweat won't be our 1st round pick and will be long gone before our 2nd round pick. I don't even see how we could get him. And he would play more than 50% of the snaps. He is also a legit pass rusher.
Byron Murphy isn't falling to our 1st round pick either. If he did I would hope the Cowboys select him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Sweat is a rare breed at NT. The "2 gap run stuffer" moniker gets thrown around to any 330+ lb DT, but as we've seen with Mazi, it's not always true. Sweat really is that dude... a 360 lb man-mountain that eats double teams like Funyons. Offenses can't move him. He's a legit talented pass rusher too, which for a guy his size is wild.

In a less loaded draft, I think he's a first round cinch, but there's so much talent this year that he might lose the numbers game. Sweat's a heck of a prospect though, and he will play a long time in the pros as long as he can keep his weight under control.

How does Sweat compare to Murphy... the latter is a lot better prospect in my opinion. He's as much of a menace in the passing game as Sweat is in the running game, and that's ultimately the more valuable role. Murphy led CFB in pressures from a DT and crushed the Combine.... the tape is top-tier and his measurables are too. He's a small DT, but he doesn't play small, so he's not a total liability in the run game either. And he fits into any NFL defense as a one-gap rusher. He's just a super clean prospect with both a very high floor and a high ceiling. In a normal year, he'd have a shot at the top ten.

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score
Sweat is a rare breed at NT. The "2 gap run stuffer" moniker gets thrown around to any 330+ lb DT, but as we've seen with Mazi, it's not always true. Sweat really is that dude... a 360 lb man-mountain that eats double teams like Funyons. Offenses can't move him. He's a legit talented pass rusher too, which for a guy his size is wild.

In a less loaded draft, I think he's a first round cinch, but there's so much talent this year that he might lose the numbers game. Sweat's a heck of a prospect though, and he will play a long time in the pros as long as he can keep his weight under control.

How does Sweat compare to Murphy... the latter is a lot better prospect in my opinion. He's as much of a menace in the passing game as Sweat is in the running game, and that's ultimately the more valuable role. Murphy led CFB in pressures from a DT and crushed the Combine.... the tape is top-tier and his measurables are too. He's a small DT, but he doesn't play small, so he's not a total liability in the run game either. And he fits into any NFL defense as a one-gap rusher. He's just a super clean prospect with both a very high floor and a high ceiling. In a normal year, he'd have a shot at the top ten.
The problem with the vast majority of small DTs is they wear down. You need a rotation.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
If he was taken in the 2nd or with a trade back in the first, do you feel better about this run defense? How is he compared to his teammate Murphy?
There are TWO nose tackles in this draft! At least before you get to the 6th round. Nose is our greatest need IMO.

I see him rated 36-43 as far as overall best players. It will take pick 24 or a trade back to get him. Not sure the reach is worth it at 24, especially if JPJ is there to play center.

But you need to be ready to reach for Jackson McKinnley to fill that NT spot.

tm1119

Reaction score
Sweat won't be our 1st round pick and will be long gone before our 2nd round pick. I don't even see how we could get him. And he would play more than 50% of the snaps. He is also a legit pass rusher.
Byron Murphy isn't falling to our 1st round pick either. If he did I would hope the Cowboys select him.
More than 50% of the snaps for Sweat is asking a lot. Osa played 59% last year. DLaw played 57%. Mazi and Hankins played a COMBINED 60% of the snaps. Sweat is

Hardline

Reaction score
More than 50% of the snaps for Sweat is asking a lot. Osa played 59% last year. DLaw played 57%. Mazi and Hankins played a COMBINED 60% of the snaps. Sweat is
I'm not saying he won't do it. But he can do it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I’m not using a top 60 pick on a guy that will play 50% of the snaps at best. No thanks
In reality, he's playing 30% of the snaps at best.

1Techs play maybe 60% of available defensive snaps.

Defensive Linemen, especially trench guys, rotate snaps.

I don't mind him at pick 56 or later. No one at 56 would likely have the immediate impact Sweat would there.

tm1119

Reaction score
In reality, he's playing 30% of the snaps at best.

1Techs play maybe 60% of available defensive snaps.

Defensive Linemen, especially trench guys, rotate snaps.

I don't mind him at pick 56 or later. No one at 56 would likely have the immediate impact Sweat would there.
Agree with the top part…but the last paragraph is a little crazy. OG/OC, RB, WR3, or even DE could easily have a bigger impact than another 1tech.

Reality is that this is the situation you put yourself in when you refuse to use free agency. A solid 1 tech to pair with Mazi could have been such an easy and relatively cheap position to fill for the past 2 offseasons…and yet here we are talking about drafting a 2nd non-impact pass rushing DT in the top 56.

1942willys

Reaction score
we need a trashcan full of dirt in the middle. Which should not be that hard to get but the boys sure seem to make it so

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
OG/OC, RB, WR3, or even DE
I'm looking at the caliber of players who are projected to be available at 56.

There's not a RB in the draft I would take at 56 so that's a reach for me.

56 is probably the 3rd best Center in this draft. They would play but I'm not confident they would be better at their job (immediately) as Sweat would be.

WR3? Maybe. Is it Keon Coleman? If not, are you confident this staff will play them more than Jalen Tolbert as WR3?

DE at 56? Again, who are we getting? Adisa Isaac? Jonah Ellis? Marshawn Kneeland? They are taking snaps away from Micah, Tank, and Sam Williams?

I LOVE Austin Booker at 56 but he's a projection, banking on his athleticism to turn into an elite edge.

tm1119

Reaction score
I'm looking at the caliber of players who are projected to be available at 56.

There's not a RB in the draft I would take at 56 so that's a reach for me.- Fair enough. I would personally say Benson, Wright, and Brooks are late 2nd round caliber prospects. Also think there’s a pretty big drop off after those 3.

56 is probably the 3rd best Center in this draft. They would play but I'm not confident they would be better at their job (immediately) as Sweat would be. I think Frazier is an abnormally good #3 C. Not often you see 2 OC prospects as top 32 prospects (JPJ & Barton) so not sure the 3rd OC is the worst thing at 56. There will also be high level OG prospects there that can be long term starters in the event that Tyler plays LT.

WR3? Maybe. Is it Keon Coleman? If not, are you confident this staff will play them more than Jalen Tolbert as WR3? Yes, not like Tolbert was forced into the lineup last year a lot with Gallup struggling. If anything didn’t Brooks play more at the end of the year? Either way I don’t think there’s a WR3 on the roster.

DE at 56? Again, who are we getting? Adisa Isaac? Jonah Ellis? Marshawn Kneeland? They are taking snaps away from Micah, Tank, and Sam Williams? Armstrong + Fowler = 66% of the snaps at DE last year. Williams was 28%, even if you bump him up to 41% to replace Armstrong’s role there’s still a huge chunk of snaps to replace and I don’t see anyone on the roster to do that unless they are going to force play Fehoko at DE. Not to mention DLaw is getting up there in age and his contract expires at the end of the year.

I LOVE Austin Booker at 56 but he's a projection, banking on his athleticism to turn into an elite edge. I like both Kneeland and Booker a lot.

Rayman70

Reaction score
better? MAYBE, but not good. Its a tall order asking rookies and first year starters to come in and be good early. Losing Hankins hurts. Even though he wasn't very good against GB. We need hard workers that love the game and have a mean streak. Give me try hard guys that never quit, with high football IQ, I'll show you a long-term solution. If Sweat is that, draft him early at 24. If we have doubts, draft a really good player at another position. Like linebacker or corner. I want guys that wanna be coached and thrive in the big moments. We need thugs inside and we need big linebackers that are smart, unafraid. Cooper is the linebacker I want. Englebrecht is a good lienbacker too.

Hardline

Reaction score
Agree with the top part…but the last paragraph is a little crazy. OG/OC, RB, WR3, or even DE could easily have a bigger impact than another 1tech.

Reality is that this is the situation you put yourself in when you refuse to use free agency. A solid 1 tech to pair with Mazi could have been such an easy and relatively cheap position to fill for the past 2 offseasons…and yet here we are talking about drafting a 2nd non-impact pass rushing DT in the top 56.
Sweat is very much a pass rushing impact DT.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
NT is a circumstantial position. Even the best in the league should only be playing 60-70% of defensive snaps. Dexter Lawrence himself is a hybrid NT/interior pass rusher, maybe the best we’ve ever seen. Giants desperately need him on the field as much as possible to have a shot at anything, and even he only logged in at 67%.

Couple that with the fact that you just drafted Mazi, and NT should not be on your draft board day 1 or 2 for the next couple years. Not until you’re convinced beyond a doubt Mazi is a bust and he’s off the roster. Until then, it’s just not a value selection like Oline, DE, WR, LB right now.

You want a rotation at 3-tech, not at NT. Thats silly.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
@tm1119

I was counting Frazier as OC2, wasn't thinking about Barton's potential move there. I think Frazier will be long gone by 56 so it now becomes OC4 you are getting at 56.

The RB's sweet spot is late 3rd to mid 4th. Someone (prpobably us) will get antsy and grab their guy early. I just don't think there is a significance difference between the top RBs you mentioned and the next wave of guys.

As far as DE, this team loves justifying their past decisions so Golston and Fehoko will get the reps ar DE, plus they will sign the cheap veteran stopgap, maybe even a return of Anthony Barr, or someone else who played for Zimmer.

Same logic for Tolbert at WR. He will be given every chance to play so the Front Office doesn't look stupid for drafting him, as well as moving on from Gallup.

My main point is barring some unexpected player being there at 56 (think Diggs), I am not sure someone can come in and help the team win now more so than a 350-lb. Nose Tackle the caliber of Sweat.