Twitter: Tuesday Training Camp Practice Updates

Bluefin

Reaction score
Nate Newton on Monday's practice:

Joseph Randle's looked good last two days, tried to talk to him and could tell he's really confident, he's feeling it.

Davon Coleman was awesome in pass rush drills.

Jason Witten reminds him of an elderly guy, the older he gets the more he talks. Wit gave the Rams LB coach an earful about needing to play zone because they were constantly holding him in practice, drew two flags and had jersey torn on a play that didn't get flagged.

Gus Johnson, there's a big difference between a first round pick (Byron Jones) and someone who barely got picked, I love you, hurry up and get back.

Bluefin

Reaction score
DMN Blog

The first fight started when reserve linebacker Andrew Gachkar and Rams center Demetrius Rhaney began pushing each other after the play. Multiple players converged, with several punches thrown and Cowboys rookie defensive end Randy Gregory had his helmet ripped off by Rams rookie offensive lineman Cody Wichmann.

But on the next play, Gregory – the Cowboys’ prized second-round pick – hadn’t forgotten. He threw Rams rookie offensive tackle Isaiah Battle to the ground. With Gregory walking away and his back turned, Battle came charging after Gregory and jumped on his back as the two teams converged again with several players throwing punches. Gregory again lost his helmet and was knocked to the ground at least twice.

“It’s a brawl, man. They cheap shot. We showed we ain’t backing down from nobody now,” Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey said. “Randy got blocked in the back and he got up and he pushed [Battle] down and it was a dogpile on the rabbit after that. It was just three fights going on at one time.”

“It’s great to have the fans here but we got fences 2 yards away from the sideline. It gets over there and you’re by the fence and fans and it gets dangerous,” Cowboys safety Jeff Heath said. “You want to have your helmet on. Guys are kicking and eye-poking and crap like that. You just have to protect yourself and your buddies.”

After both teams finally appeared to get under control, the fight started again between the two practice fields. That’s when both coaches agreed to call practice.

Cowboys cornerback Tyler Patmon came away with four red marks on his face after he was involved in the fight without a helmet on between the two fields. “It’s just football, man,” Patmon said. “We’re grown men. Whatever happens, happens.”

Receiver Dez Bryant was off to the side talking to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones when the fight between the two fields started up again. Bryant dropped a football, pulled his helmet down and charged toward the fight. One video clip shows Bryant without a helmet on apparently taking a punch to the face by Rams fullback Zach Laskey.

“Well, I hate it,” Stephen Jones said. “I know our players aren’t proud of it. But it’s going to happen.”

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Cowboys cornerback Tyler Patmon came away with four red marks on his face after he was involved in the fight without a helmet on between the two fields. “It’s just football, man,” Patmon said. “We’re grown men. Whatever happens, happens.

OMG I love Patmon!

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Cowboys cornerback Tyler Patmon came away with four red marks on his face after he was involved in the fight without a helmet on between the two fields. “It’s just football, man,” Patmon said. “We’re grown men. Whatever happens, happens.

OMG I love Patmon!

I hate to say I told y'all so about him......nah I dont ;)

Aven8

Reaction score
These are grown men. If you cant handle talk it isnt the talkers fault.

I said I didn't mind it. Just was curious. The greatest athlete of all time was the best trash talker of all time as well, so Dez is allowed. It helps when you're in the action however!

Bluefin

Reaction score
More from Nate Newton:

Best punch on the OL - Tyron Smith, Zack Martin is next.

If he'd do it every down, Ronald Leary, if he wanted to do it every down, I've seen him knock people's heart out the back of their chests when he wanted to do it, but he won't do it all the time.

Donald Trump wrecked the USFL, got us $3.00, and he wants to run the country?

Right now, Orlando Scandrick is the top CB, but I promise you, if Mo Claiborne comes on and does what he has to do, Scan will fall back to your slot CB.

When you talk to the coaches and scouts, if Mo comes on and just be halfway there, they will give him every opportunity, I promise you they will. And Brandon Carr is the other corner, that's plain and simple, whether you like how he plays or not. He's the other corner, if they had their way, Scandrick would be the third corner, the slot corner.

There's so many WRs on the field, a lot of guys don't worry about it these days.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
If you don't like the talker, tune him out or better yet prevent providing opportunities to talk.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Nate Newton on Rolando McClain:

When he's right, he's one of the best MIKEs in the game, and that's bar none, because of his size and ability to run and hit people, he's got great instincts, he can find the ball, it seems like he's lost and all of a sudden he winds up wherever the ball is.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Nate Newton on Monday's practice:

Joseph Randle's looked good last two days, tried to talk to him and could tell he's really confident, he's feeling it.

Davon Coleman was awesome in pass rush drills.

Jason Witten reminds him of an elderly guy, the older he gets the more he talks. Wit gave the Rams LB coach an earful about needing to play zone because they were constantly holding him in practice, drew two flags and had jersey torn on a play that didn't get flagged.

Gus Johnson, there's a big difference between a first round pick (Byron Jones) and someone who barely got picked, I love you, hurry up and get back.

Good to see Randle playing well !!!

dallasdave

Reaction score
Nate Newton on Rolando McClain:

When he's right, he's one of the best MIKEs in the game, and that's bar none, because of his size and ability to run and hit people, he's got great instincts, he can find the ball, it seems like he's lost and all of a sudden he winds up wherever the ball is.

McClain is very important in the playoff run, very tough, a natural middle LB.

dallasdave

Reaction score
More from Nate Newton:

Best punch on the OL - Tyron Smith, Zack Martin is next.

If he'd do it every down, Ronald Leary, if he wanted to do it every down, I've seen him knock people's heart out the back of their chests when he wanted to do it, but he won't do it all the time.

Donald Trump wrecked the USFL, got us $3.00, and he wants to run the country?

Right now, Orlando Scandrick is the top CB, but I promise you, if Mo Claiborne comes on and does what he has to do, Scan will fall back to your slot CB.

When you talk to the coaches and scouts, if Mo comes on and just be halfway there, they will give him every opportunity, I promise you they will. And Brandon Carr is the other corner, that's plain and simple, whether you like how he plays or not. He's the other corner, if they had their way, Scandrick would be the third corner, the slot corner.

There's so many WRs on the field, a lot of guys don't worry about it these days.

Nate is our new sideline reporter :)

Bluefin

Reaction score
dallascowboys.com notes

“I'm not sure what started any of that. I just know at the end of the day we're going to have each other's back,” Patmon said. “Whenever something like that happens we have to be there for our teammates. All you're thinking about is having your teammates' back, and that's all that matters."

The Rams decided to cancel their Wednesday practice in Oxnard, while the Cowboys will have a day off. The decision was made before Tuesday’s practice.

One guy who made sure not to participate in the fight was defensive end Greg Hardy, who has made headlines for the wrong reasons this past year. Hardy made a point to run away from the fracas with a smile on his face.

Linebacker Sean Lee missed his second practice in three days but the Cowboys are far from concerned. “No setbacks,” Stephen Jones said. “Everything's just management with most of these guys."

Notable Standouts

Terrance Williams – Williams clearly answered the call on Dez Bryant’s challenge to play with more intensity. As the Cowboys’ top wide out, he enjoyed a strong day of practice with several key catches. It began in one-on-ones, when he skied over Trumaine Johnson for a contested touchdown on a fade route. He also added a touchdown on a shallow post in full-team work. But the highlight of his day came in the team run period, when Tony Romo hit him on a play action pass for a long gain down the middle of the field.

Darren McFadden – Tuesday was McFadden’s first day mixing into 11-on-11 work, and he looked impressive doing it. The veteran looked decisive hitting holes for solid pickups, and he managed to make solid yardage even in a practice without live hitting. He also showcased his value as a receiver, as Romo found him several times. On a 3rd-and-Goal from the 12, Romo found him in the flat, and he took the ball down to the one-yard line.

Tyler Patmon – Before he got involved in the fight that ended practice, Patmon had a strong day in the Dallas secondary. He fended off St. Louis in one-on-one drills. Moreso than that, he came up with a big win for the Cowboys defense when he intercepted Nick Foles in full-team drills against the St. Louis offense.