Turns out Zeke had enough leverage

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A guy with no leverage doesn't get offered a contract while still having two years left on his original contract.

It doesn't matter how many people yell "Zeke had no leverage" he had it the moment Dallas made him an offer.
Jaylon and La'el got deals as well.
Zeke didn't raise his 2019 take at all.
He just got his future money locked in but really it was locked in anyway as he would have surely been franchise tagged.
If he had real leverage would have gotten his 20M this year.
DAL on principle made the deal for after this deal ends.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He got Jerry to give him what he wanted. It wouldn't have happened without the holdout. That's the definition of having leverage.

That guy is just salty because he guaranteed Zeke would not be here for a long time.

He likes to act like he has inside info

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure why this place continues to think that Jerry ever intended to play hardball. Jerry has been outspoken about wanting to get deals done with both Zeke and Dak - and from everything I've seen, nothing shows that Zeke got some incredible number - it's actually less in the long term than I expected. It's a relatively team friendly deal for a top 3-5 RB.

I'm more worried about the Dak potential contract and really really hoping Jerry just let's the 2019 season play out before considering an extension.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke was smart. And the new money portion of this deal is all in his favor. I like how we structured it, but we overpaid for a RB. And his distraction might have gotten in the way of getting Dak done before the season opener.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry sold his soul to the devil for his 3 SB wins. I don't know that he's got anymore deals to make that get us another SB win.
Don't you know that all cats have 9 lives...
Jerry the cat.
Meow!

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Well, when you stop laughing, please correct your post to say that "he was the 4th overall pick" and not a 4th round pick. Gonna help out your credibility like 10 fold, seriously.
He must have Dak on his mind but Zeke coming out his lips

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No, it doesn't.

The contract is what was offered weeks ago. Z finally agreed.

Huh? Zeke had all the leverage. It's why Dallas offered the contract 2 years before his rookie deal was done. They know they can't win without him with the offense they have installed.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
All this talk of leverage and I'm just sitting here hoping he doesn't bust his leg up and we end up being stuck with all this dead money.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
That guy is just salty because he guaranteed Zeke would not be here for a long time.

He likes to act like he has inside info
That depends on what your definition of "a long time" is. It is highly unlikely Zeke will be on this team 8 years from now.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything that says they were offering $50 million guaranteed or anywhere close, early on.

That's because there was no report of such and is now just a figment of a walkback imagination. This board would have been all over that with cries of "outrage" if that were the case. The only one pushing the $50M guarantee number was me because I knew he was worth more than Gurley and because it was probably what Zeke's team was asking for. He got it. But no leverage though, nope, nada, of heaven's no, lol.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Huh? Zeke had all the leverage. It's why Dallas offered the contract 2 years before his rookie deal was done. They know they can't win without him with the offense they have installed.

We've won without Zeke in a similar offense. The offense goes as far as this offensive line takes us.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
He got Jerry to give him what he wanted. It wouldn't have happened without the holdout. That's the definition of having leverage.

That where you’re wrong.

The company line says other wise

Dre11

Reaction score
No, it doesn't.

The contract is what was offered weeks ago. Z finally agreed.

Exactly, it was reported after the true numbers came out that the per year amount was way lower than Zeke camp wanted and the hold up was Zeke's camp not knowing the salary cap rules...lol