Turns out Zeke had enough leverage

Dre11

Reaction score
He got Jerry to give him what he wanted. It wouldn't have happened without the holdout. That's the definition of having leverage.

What was that? They were planning to sign him anyway. Stephen said that in Feb.

Dre11

Reaction score
Sign him yeah but they didn’t want to give him a Gurley contract and did.

He said in Feb, it would start at Gurley and with the real numbers, it's really not more than Gurley per year....lol

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Let's review: What was Zeke's salary scheduled to be in 2019? What is he pocketing this year with the extension? How much guaranteed money is he getting? Is that the most any player at his position has ever received? Since guaranteed money is what really matters (much more than annual salary, which can be flubbed to look however you want), it's easy to say Zeke's holdout was worth it. Unless you can provide some shred of evidence that this was the same deal he was offered in July.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Let's review: What was Zeke's salary scheduled to be in 2019? What is he pocketing this year with the extension? How much guaranteed money is he getting? Is that the most any player at his position has ever received? Since guaranteed money is what really matters (much more than annual salary, which can be flubbed to look however you want), it's easy to say Zeke's holdout was worth it. Unless you can provide some shred of evidence that this was the same deal he was offered in July.

Prove it wasn't.

I mean, you gotta be careful there. Sometimes that swinging door will come back and put a tooth out for you, if your not careful......

MarcusRock

Reaction score
For all of those who think Zeke won:

What you seem to be missing is that Zeke still has to complete the 2 years he had on his original rookie contract. When you put the two contracts and the corresponding money together, it comes out to 8 years and a little less than 103 million dollars. If you divide 103 by 8 you get 12.875, which is right in line with exactly what the Jones boys wanted to pay.

But of course the agent wants the world to think Zeke won the negotiation because after all that's how he gets more talent to sign with him and his agency.

It's not just Zeke and his agent who thought they won (see below) but let me ask you this. I don't know a ton about contracts, although the link below is a nice little tutorial at analysis, but did Zeke get his guaranteed money and salary the first 3 years of the contract so far and what was that?

Agent's Take: Who got the better end of Ezekiel Elliott's new contract?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Prove it wasn't.

I mean, you gotta be careful there. Sometimes that swinging door will come back and put a tooth out for you, if your not careful......
Well, when the holdout started there wasn't even an offer on the table. Jerry was saying things like Zeke wasn't at the front of the line.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The contract does not look the way you think it does. Guaranteed money, structure, etc. all matter more than the raw total amount. This is a good contract for Zeke, but you're exaggerating.

Soooooo he's not the highest paid in history?

jday

Reaction score
It's not just Zeke and his agent who thought they won (see below) but let me ask you this. I don't know a ton about contracts, although the link below is a nice little tutorial at analysis, but did Zeke get his guaranteed money and salary the first 3 years of the contract so far and what was that?

Agent's Take: Who got the better end of Ezekiel Elliott's new contract?
Doesn't matter what you pay a 24 year old superstar rb in the first 4 years. The question has always been will the Cowboys have an out once he turns 28...and they do.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what you pay a 24 year old superstar rb in the first 4 years. The question has always been will the Cowboys have an out once he turns 28...and they do.

I was simply asking what Zeke's total haul on the 8-year deal might/will be? On the extension part he can get up to $50M guaranteed. Does he also get what's been part of the first 3 years in guarantees and salary? I mean, since you want to combine everything.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke just needed to wait 30 days.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, when the holdout started there wasn't even an offer on the table. Jerry was saying things like Zeke wasn't at the front of the line.

None that either side would ever admit to but, Jerry and Stephen had already talked about what kind of deal they might be looking at, for Zeke.

Why do you have to insist on winners and losers is what I am wondering? Both one and both lost. That's a good negotiation. As a Cowboy fan, why can't you get behind that? Why does it have to be about Zeke and not about team?

birdwells1

Reaction score
For all of those who think Zeke won:

What you seem to be missing is that Zeke still has to complete the 2 years he had on his original rookie contract. When you put the two contracts and the corresponding money together, it comes out to 8 years and a little less than 103 million dollars. If you divide 103 by 8 you get 12.875, which is right in line with exactly what the Jones boys wanted to pay.

But of course the agent wants the world to think Zeke won the negotiation because after all that's how he gets more talent to sign with him and his agency.

Zeke has 50,000,000.00 reasons that he thinks he won.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Interestingly enough, if you ever got an invite to Jerry's, I'd bet that he would sit you down, pour out three fingers of Johnny Walker Blue into a couple of glasses, look at you dead in the face and say, "So does Jerry......"

That's how you know it's a good deal all around.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

All I care about is 1 reason, SB. Zeke is the highest paid RB kind of. lol He is not paid more than DLaw and no one is throwing a fit over that. Zeke got his money and Cowboys structured a deal that suites them as well. Let play ball