Twitter: Stephen Jones Get Real

cern

Reaction score
Here is an interesting thought, I think. More and more teams have gone to young offensive coordinators whose ideas are congruent with the current game. My sense is - and I could be shown to be mistaken - that teams have been less proactive in hiring younger defensive coordinators.

This seems a bit odd. Maybe the older DCs, set in their ways, are married to ideas and schemes that worked once and have become outmoded. Mike Nolan has, for many years, been a competent DC in the NFL. He might never have been the best, but he was competent. Suddenly his scheme seems to have more leaks than the Titanic. Has he forgotten how to coach defense, or is the opposite -- he remembers too much that is no longer effective?

I don't think Williams is the answer. I'm not sure Wade Phillips is the answer. I wonder if the answer is to turn to someone whose background is more tuned to defending modern offenses.
We let a young, outstanding dc candidate named eberflus to to another team. I'm sure there are others. You raise a good point. I think the way to go is hire a good hc and let him assemble his staff.

reddyuta

Reaction score
a13f757e62d169d8fe99694948c4348c.gif

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
our stop gap method of dealing in free agency has failed. we need to go for the occasional splash.

I agree, though stop-gaps can really help you, too. But you can’t completely whiff at adding vets the way we did this offseason. We should be able to get a couple thousand snaps out of those guys, and we’re getting basically kicker an QB reps this season.

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean the Cowboys core problem is that they are terrible at drafting. Not only are they not finding core players, they are not even finding starters. The Cowboys just lost to the Ravens and that basically highlights it as the Ravens also were dealing with a litany of injuries, but even their backups are just better.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Mike Nolan has, for many years, been a competent DC in the NFL. He might never have been the best, but he was competent. Suddenly his scheme seems to have more leaks than the Titanic. Has he forgotten how to coach defense, or is the opposite -- he remembers too much that is no longer effective?

I feel Nolan has been riding off his reputation with the Ravens when he had talented senior leadership in the defensive side, and Ozzie figured out Nolan quickly and made sure he had the players to fit the situation.

The Nolan I fear is the one who was with McDaniels in Denver, HC at SF and coordinator with the Falcons. He has been bounced around the league quite a bit, and his last two stops teams felt at best he was a position coach. All of a sudden Dallas thinks he is a coordinator again????

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say they are similar: Jaylon got paid then disappeared. LVE had neck surgery and broke his collarbone. Lee is hurt. So right there you have zero LBs. The Dline has been a problem for years, but losing your two big free agent DTs in Poe and McCoy and you have a weak interior Dline with no supporting LBs...there is no way to stop the run with that. I’d start running a 52 or 46...if they win by passing then so be it but stop the run.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
3/4 of the season and we have given up 4 200+ rushing games and just gave up 294 yards on the ground, but he's convinced we'll get it done. LOL!!

cern

Reaction score
If mac cannot see nolan's failures as the dc, he does not deserve to be the hc.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3/4 of the season and we have given up 4 200+ rushing games and just gave up 294 yards on the ground, but he's convinced we'll get it done. LOL!!
Spoken by guy whose qualifications and lifetime contract were purchased the night his old man bought the team. No pressure to win or change. Such a toxic combination of arrogance and self delusion. Nepotism with no accountability- what could possibly go wrong? Lol.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So he may have been dropping the company line but accidentally just told us the coaching is terrible.
Or he just straight up told us they are terrible.
Either way he's blaming coaches mostly I think.

It's the natural conclusion from what he said.

We even have LVE back, and we're not better. His meh performance is a bad sign for him, or for the coaching staff.

But Stephen our big loss in free agency. No GOAT!

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I feel Nolan has been riding off his reputation with the Ravens when he had talented senior leadership in the defensive side, and Ozzie figured out Nolan quickly and made sure he had the players to fit the situation.

The Nolan I fear is the one who was with McDaniels in Denver, HC at SF and coordinator with the Falcons. He has been bounced around the league quite a bit, and his last two stops teams felt at best he was a position coach. All of a sudden Dallas thinks he is a coordinator again????
We all default, mostly, to the safe choice. Inborn. So most of us are neither billionaires nor among the destitute.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did I miss the usual thread about the clown son’s weekly words of wisdom. If so please move. We were great against the run once :(

insanity is stating you have good players and you are convinced you have good players, as you give up 300 yards on the ground regularly and are 3-9.. THAT is not just bad coaching...that IS bad effort/players as well.