Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
At #4 you HAVE to take "Best Player Available!"
Even if Laremy Tunsil is there at #4 - if he is your highest rated player - then do not pass him up.

Never draft for need - you always end up reaching.

lol. Not happnin. They want to see what Chaz Green has as Free's replacement. Anyways, who says Tunsil is tops in their board.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Sure, whatever.

League leader team rushing yards
Playoff wins: 5
2015 Bills
2014 Seahawks (2)
2013 Eagles
2012 Commanders
2011 Broncos (1)
2010 Cheifs
2009 Jets (2)
2008 Giants
2007 Vikings
2006 Falcons

Good stats to look at for sure. I don't think there is a certain formula to winning a superbowl as we have seen different ways.

Seems to me that most teams win by playing great defense. Don't take regular season but in the playoffs example. ....giants defense didn't play well in the regular season, neither did their run game but in the playoffs they won by great defense and running the ball well. Sure Eli had some great games but I think defense is the key

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stats to look at for sure. I don't think there is a certain formula to winning a superbowl as we have seen different ways.

Seems to me that most teams win by playing great defense. Don't take regular season but in the playoffs example. ....giants defense didn't play well in the regular season, neither did their run game but in the playoffs they won by great defense and running the ball well. Sure Eli had some great games but I think defense is the key

The formula is to pass better than the other guys. You can do it by passing well, or by making it hard to be passed against, but that's the formula.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The formula is to pass better than the other guys. You can do it by passing well, or by making it hard to be passed against, but that's the formula.

Manning didn't pass the ball well and won the superbowl.

Seattle lost by throwing instead of running at the 1 yard line. Sorry but formula is not the same. Great defense is the only one that is pretty consistent

Manster68

Reaction score
Oh, we all would really be crying about an offensive line of Smith, Collins, Fitzgerald, Martin, and Tunsil....for the next ten seasons. :)

I will go out on a limb and think you meant Frederick.

Fitzgerald was part of that Irish Corps from ~40 years ago.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

Seattle lost by throwing instead of running at the 1 yard line. Sorry but formula is not the same. Great defense is the only one that is pretty consistent
Great pass defense and/or great pass offense.

All four of teams involved in the SB you mentioned (Denver, Carolina, NE, Seattle) were Top 5 in either offensive or defensive passer rating. In fact, the same is true of 17 of the last 20 SB teams.

Likewise, 17 of the last 20 have ranked in the top 12 in passer rating differential.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I will go out on a limb and think you meant Frederick.

Fitzgerald was part of that Irish Corps from ~40 years ago.

Yea, sometimes I put a wrong, but not intended name out there...kind of a brain fart. lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
Great pass defense and/or great pass offense.

All four of teams involved in the SB you mentioned (Denver, Carolina, NE, Seattle) were Top 5 in either offensive or defensive passer rating. In fact, the same is true of 17 of the last 20 SB teams.

Likewise, 17 of the last 20 have ranked in the top 12 in passer rating differential.

That hits upon Parcells old Big Three...one of which, is control of the game clock.

Another way to look at this...the first to 35 usually wins the game.

CCBoy

Reaction score
first 4 starts: 142 ypg (Rams 3-1)
last 8 starts: 66 ypg (Rams 3-5)

I would too, but not without a QB who forces the defense to play honest.

Percy, would you project that Tunsil in the first round and the healthy return of both Tony Romo and Dez Bryant would place the current team's running back duo of Morris and McFadden into a similar production window of a Gurley? Now, with Tunsil in the first, and a quality #2 receiver at the top of the 2nd round, what would your instinct be to the outcome of that offensively changed picture?

And if that occurred would Dallas still be obligated to acquire a quarterback at the top of the 3rd round, for the future? Leaving the entire rest of the draft for defense...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Percy, would you project that Tunsil in the first round and the healthy return of both Tony Romo and Dez Bryant would place the current team's running back duo of Morris and McFadden into a similar production window of a Gurley?
I think as long as we have an elite passing game and a competent back, and the OL stays healthy, and the defense is at least close to average, we'll win.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think as long as we have an elite passing game and a competent back, and the OL stays healthy, and the defense is at least close to average, we'll win.

I'll add, and with a Cowboys team and with Jerry and his family running the franchise, that formula will be producing strongly competitive teams. Every team has to weather the nature of the game with an adversary that in the playoffs, have to be progressively effective and in recent time frames.

In the picture that I presented, the Cowboys could win the race to the highest score, against any team...whether offensively or defensively a top dog. The improved Dallas offense could knock heads with the strongest of defenses that a team might have to pay to maintain.

Kind of like air dominance in today's land wars...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Think those two examples through a bit more. Both are examples of the passing differential argument.

'Great defense' is relevant because it generally provides you with one half of the passing effectiveness differential equation.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Need the defense to have a consistent pass rush and the secondary to not trail every receiver downfield.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Need the defense to have a consistent pass rush and the secondary to not trail every receiver downfield.

If Dallas does get Ramsey, the resulting umbrella would be pretty impressive. Not perfect, but a great addition.

Good groups in the secondary and third levels, helps out the rush as well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Really anything that gets us up around average in DPR and points per drive.

And it wouldn't hurt to be better, of course.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Really anything that gets us up around average in DPR and points per drive.

And it wouldn't hurt to be better, of course.

Percy, do you recall who the rather small running back from Jackson State, who compiled a total of zero yards gained on eight rushes in his first professional game? Hint, he was taken in the 4th pick, by a defunct Chicago Bears....Walter Payton. There was questioning on whether he even belonged in the professional ranks, at that point. lol

Not all trials back then, were fair. Karl Douglas, from A&I, was drafted by the then, Baltimore Colts in the third round. That was the off season following the departure of both, Earl Morril and Johnny Unitas. They gave him a whole two Exhibition Game trial and cut him...yea, he was a black quarterback before that was a proven element in NFL sight.