Tyler - G or LT?

cowboybish

Reaction score
If you are the coach do you draft a LT and expect him to play well this year and play Hoffman at C or do you slide Tyler over, play your best G currently on the team and take the best C available at 24. To me... Tyler has already proven he can play LT draft the top rated C and I'm confident we have a RG already on our roster.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I keep him at G because of the penalty issue. I think a huge mistake would be passing on a C because you feel the need to reach for a T though.

This team is in a division where you’ll see top DTs week after week, the inside oline positions are extremely important.

Motorola

Reaction score
If you are the coach do you draft a LT and expect him to play well this year and play Hoffman at C or do you slide Tyler over, play your best G currently on the team and take the best C available at 24. To me... Tyler has already proven he can play LT draft the top rated C and I'm confident we have a RG already on our roster.
1) Leave Tulsa Tyler at LG
2) Move up to get Fautanu \ Fashanu \ Latham to be your stalwart LT next to the stalwart LG

Last edited:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I'm kinda all over the map on this one....mainly cuz it depends on how the draft turns out. If you don't get your LT, you gotta go with moving Tyler there, ...if you do get one, and has to be a quality blue chipper, then keep him at G. I am not confident yet on Hoffman at C right now, so would not mind at all going C in the first round. I do feel good with Bass at G though.

So here's me in a nutshell......get your starting C in the first, move Tyler to LT and put Bass at G. I would even draft a LT in the second if one is there. We have found that the skilled players are only skilled if the big uglies are doing their job.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Moving an ALL-Pro to another position creates additional Oline questions. Rarely can a player play at an ALL-Pro level at two different positions.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I keep him at G because of the penalty issue. I think a huge mistake would be passing on a C because you feel the need to reach for a T though.

This team is in a division where you’ll see top DTs week after week, the inside oline positions are extremely important.

This, you draft a C now because the middle is weak and has been weak since the beard retired.

Motorola

Reaction score
And then roll with Hoffman at C or take a C in the second round?
Yes - select the best center prospect on the board.
Hoffman can remain the backup - but he has the opportunity to assert himself to being the starting center for the Cowboys for the 2024 season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It shouldn’t come to this, but it probably depends on how this draft goes, and/or what they think of Bass and Richards.

For me, when you know you have a capable LT on the roster, I’d move him there but I’ve also witnessed Larry Allen’s career…so could go either way.

The most important part for now is understanding that a few years from now we will need to re-sign Tyler to a big money deal, so they shouldn’t participate in free agency and save up for that day.

That seems to be the organizational philosophy….find a star, then make sure there’s plenty of cap space to overpay them years down the road.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Bass did not embarrass himself let him compete at G slide Tyler Smith back to LT protecting the 140 million $ mans blindside and get a Center at 24 .
I see what you are saying but to me, this creates THREE question marks.
*Can Tyler play LT at the same ALL-Pro level?
* Can Bass play LG anywhere close to Tyler's high level?
* Can rookie C play at a high level next to 3rd string starting LG?
* Tyler just stated his preference is to stay at LG ( but will play where he's asked ). He doesn't have the same confidence playing LT as LG.

IF you leave Tyler at LG
* Your LG position is secured with an ALL-Pro
* He can help your rookie or less-talented LT
* He can also help your less-talented C

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is huge .,..........our division has some of the league best best DTs ........you could argue all three teams have ALL-Pros at the positions.

Motorola

Reaction score
Moving an ALL-Pro to another position creates additional Oline questions. Rarely can a player play at an ALL-Pro level at two different positions.
The consensus of the the various entities that follow and evaluate the players eligible for the NFL Draft - the top offensive tackle candidates are second-to-none versus any other position - offense or defense.

Motorola

Reaction score
I'm kinda all over the map on this one....mainly cuz it depends on how the draft turns out. If you don't get your LT, you gotta go with moving Tyler there, ...if you do get one, and has to be a quality blue chipper, then keep him at G. I am not confident yet on Hoffman at C right now, so would not mind at all going C in the first round. I do feel good with Bass at G though.

So here's me in a nutshell......get your starting C in the first, move Tyler to LT and put Bass at G. I would even draft a LT in the second if one is there. We have found that the skilled players are only skilled if the big uglies are doing their job.
My take...Tulsa Tyler remains at LG...FO moves up-stays pat- trades down to get the best LT available on how draft unfolds - AND -accordingly how the Cowboys draft board candidates are rated in their research.

1942willys

Reaction score
Can Tyler play at All Pro Level at LT? Doubtful.
BUT we have no other REAL LT candidate on the roster.
Bass may be OK at LG but more than that is unlikely. Certainly never All Pro level
THAT leaves Center and any plan expecting Hoffman to play well against the best DTs in the NFL is a disastrous plan.

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:
We have TWO LARGE HOLES on the OLINE

We need two people to fill them that are NOT on the roster right now.

AND also the likelihood of getting a Day One Starter at LT that will really protect Daks blindside well enough at 24 is DOUBTFUL.

Once again the clown show FO has put us in this position by not doing its duty in FA. ONE of those holes should have been plugged then and was not.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Tyler played above avg at LT his first year and I believe he will be a top 5 LT with 2 years under his belt. Now we need a smart bully at C in the draft at pick 24. Between Bass, Hoffman and Richards they should have the RG.