Tyler - G or LT?

RonWashington

Reaction score
I see what you are saying but to me, this creates THREE question marks.
*Can Tyler play LT at the same ALL-Pro level?
* Can Bass play LG anywhere close to Tyler's high level?
* Can rookie C play at a high level next to 3rd string starting LG?
* Tyler just stated his preference is to stay at LG ( but will play where he's asked ). He doesn't have the same confidence playing LT as LG.

IF you leave Tyler at LG
* Your LG position is secured with an ALL-Pro
* He can help your rookie or less-talented LT
* He can also help your less-talented C

If I remember correctly Tyler Smith started his Cowboy career as a T and drew raves for play as a rookie T

Motorola

Reaction score
And then roll with Hoffman at C or take a C in the second round?
To 'cowbish' - yes.
The best way to move forward for the Cowboys.
OL - decent...improving to solid and beyond (despite the Cowboys choices\ direction on on who will be the QB1 beyond 2024).

1942willys

Reaction score
Tyler played above avg at LT his first year and I believe he will be a top 5 LT with 2 years under his belt. Now we need a smart bully at C in the draft at pick 24. Between Bass, Hoffman and Richards they should have the RG.
There is a huge difference between above average and top 5. Top 5 in the NFL is pretty much right at ALL PRO level. Tyler would have a lot of wood to chop to reach that level at LT

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are the coach do you draft a LT and expect him to play well this year and play Hoffman at C or do you slide Tyler over, play your best G currently on the team and take the best C available at 24. To me... Tyler has already proven he can play LT draft the top rated C and I'm confident we have a RG already on our roster.
If he can play left tackle , put him there. It’s going to be a lot easier putting a rookie at G than LT.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
he did not draw raves. Considering he was playing Guard and then at the last minute before the season was sent to LT he did pretty well. BUT NOT that good
You never heard his named called during his rookie season at tackle, and that's all you can ask for from a left tackle....

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm kinda all over the map on this one....mainly cuz it depends on how the draft turns out. If you don't get your LT, you gotta go with moving Tyler there, ...if you do get one, and has to be a quality blue chipper, then keep him at G. I am not confident yet on Hoffman at C right now, so would not mind at all going C in the first round. I do feel good with Bass at G though.

So here's me in a nutshell......get your starting C in the first, move Tyler to LT and put Bass at G. I would even draft a LT in the second if one is there. We have found that the skilled players are only skilled if the big uglies are doing their job.
Feeling the same brother. I might even go defense in round 1.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you are the coach do you draft a LT and expect him to play well this year and play Hoffman at C or do you slide Tyler over, play your best G currently on the team and take the best C available at 24. To me... Tyler has already proven he can play LT draft the top rated C and I'm confident we have a RG already on our roster.
Depends on who the Cowboys draft. If draft a center with the first pick Tyler is a tackle, if it’s a tackle Tyler is a guard.

Beaker42

Reaction score
LG - he’s already a holding target and at LT it will only get worse. Think Connor Williams on steroids.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No real answer. Tyler said he's "comfortable" at LG. He was All Pro there. So leaving him where he played last year is the safest option. If you move him, then you'll have a new LG and a new C. Don't think having two rookies (draftees) or one draftee and a green player right next to the other is a good idea.

And this draft is said to be deep at OT. Problem is, can't move up in the draft to get to one of the top rated OTs, that would probably cost you your second rounder, and Dallas has too many needs, can't afford to not get a pretty good LB, C or RB as well.

I'd take a chance on getting a LT with the 24th pick and leave Tyler where he is, put Hoffman at C and let 'er rip....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Much harder to get a quality LT than LG.

Tyler has shown that he's a player. Unlikely we do better where we're picking. We hit on a guy who can be a good LT. Don't waste him at LG.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Take the best C at this point in the draft you will likely have to move around for it as well because ppl know how desperate we are since the Jones have failed this offseason.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I keep him at G because of the penalty issue. I think a huge mistake would be passing on a C because you feel the need to reach for a T though.

This team is in a division where you’ll see top DTs week after week, the inside oline positions are extremely important.
Post of the day!!!!!

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Much harder to get a quality LT than LG.

Tyler has shown that he's a player. Unlikely we do better where we're picking. We hit on a guy who can be a good LT. Don't waste him at LG.
In a perfect word you keep Tyler at LG. But whatever Tackle prospect you get at 24 is a project. Much easier to find a day 1 starter on the interior than at LT.

conner01

Reaction score
He’s a much better guard than tackle. Draft a tackle and keep him at guard

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let the draft decide. Take best OLineman available.