Tyler - G or LT?

Havic

Reaction score
Keeping him at G and only switching it up if injuries mount. I'd really like to see us draft LT / Center in the first two rounds, LB in the 3rd, and RB in the 5th

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
What's your point.........your OP said we didn't hear his name called as a rookie at LT. What does Tyron Smith's stats have to do with that?????
I think it's pretty evident with anyone that watches Football that if you don't hear the media or fans talking about the player because he cost them a game, that's what you're looking for from a rookie playing a position like left tackle that protects the blind side of the QB...Now think of how many times last year did you hear about Steeles play at right tackle or Edoga's play at left tackle after games from fans and the media.....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Depend on how the draft falls. His ability to play multiple positions is a huge plus.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Tyler is a versatile player who can play either LG or LT. But it will depend on the draft and FA to answer the question, where should Tyler play? Currently, he is our starting LG and we have a hole to fill at LT, with Tyron moving on to the Jets. If the FO fails to acquire a starting LT, Tyler is capable of sliding over to the LT position and allowing Odoga or Bass to fill the LG position. So we have to wait and see what happens this offseason.

chagus

Reaction score
Keep him at guard. Draft LT or center with best available at those two positions in 1st or 2nd rd.

plasticman

Reaction score
Good question.

I think that would depend on their other options at LT. The only option in which I think he shouldn't be the LT is if the Cowboys draft one in the 1st round and he is capable of starting at an acceptable level. I see no other option on the current team and I doubt they find one from remaining or future free agents.

I suppose they could trade for one but what team in their right mind would trade a potentially starting LT? Even if they have another, you want him for swing, these guys don't grow on trees.

The only other deterrent would be nobody else at LG capable of stepping in. I know you can't have two rookies starting side by side on an offensive line and they need a new starting center. Where they place Tyler Smith could depend on the progression of Brock Hoffman at center.

There is also the pleasant possibility of one of the backups like Asim Richards or T.J. Bass taking a huge leap. You never really know, maybe Waletzko or Ball stays healthy for a season.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Does not make him an All pro tackle, does it?

How do we know if they don’t stop changing his position . Leave him at LT let him protect Daks blindside and pancake some defenders on the edge . Bass can more than hold up his end of the bargain at G . I’m not in the least worried about Tyler Smith at LT it’s the right tackle that’s the real issue .

1942willys

Reaction score
How do we know if they don’t stop changing his position . Leave him at LT let him protect Daks blindside and pancake some defenders on the edge . Bass can more than hold up his end of the bargain at G . I’m not in the least worried about Tyler Smith at LT it’s the right tackle that’s the real issue .
Really cannot see it can you? Tyler Smith made ALL PRO as a guard. Do you really think he can do it at tackle when its basically only been done a couple of times IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL?
So what you do is weaken SIGNIFICANTLY at LG and MAYBE have a very good LT. Last year we had ALL PRO's at both LT and LG and this year we are looking at being weaker at BOTH POSITIONS.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If i'm the coach I move Tyler to LT, Bass to LG, hoffman to probably backup if i can get one of the better centers late round 1 of the draft. Center is too important to not bring in an immediate starter. Hoffman looked ok in his lone start but i'd bring in the best prospect possible and let camp work it out.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
1) Leave Tulsa Tyler at LG
2) Move up to get Fautanu \ Fashanu \ Latham to be your stalwart LT next to the stalwart LG
I think our draft position in the round 1 , probably a little late for top LT position but should get a starting OC . If so they should get one .

I know Edoga is not the answer but If Bass plays well at LG , Tyler can fill the LT.

RonWashington

Reaction score
If i'm the coach I move Tyler to LT, Bass to LG, hoffman to probably backup if i can get one of the better centers late round 1 of the draft. Center is too important to not bring in an immediate starter. Hoffman looked ok in his lone start but i'd bring in the best prospect possible and let camp work it out.

People ignore Bass at G and ok if you leave Tyler Smith at G who in the world is your LT ?

:facepalm:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Let me get this straight your plan going into 2024 is a rookie at Daks blindside at LT and Steele who struggled at RT .

I like my plan much better Tyler Smith a proven commodity at an all important position of LT and draft your next center . And by all means get a T later in the draft at whatever round and have open competition for the RT job .

But a rookie and Terrence Steele at tackles no thanks .