Tyler - G or LT?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let me get this straight your plan going into 2024 is a rookie at Daks blindside at LT and Steele who struggled at RT .

I like my plan much better Tyler Smith a proven commodity at an all important position of LT and draft your next center . And by all means get a T later in the draft at whatever round and have open competition for the RT job .

But a rookie and Terrence Steele at tackles no thanks .
I would not say he is proven at LT just yet.

I would hope they draft the best OLineman available and play him accordingly.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People ignore Bass at G and ok if you leave Tyler Smith at G who in the world is your LT ?

:facepalm:
If you don't move tyler then you'd have an issue. Bass's play really makes it an easier decision to go ahead and pencil him at the LG.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The good news is we don't have to reach because of him. I really like the idea of drafting Barton I think it is, the tackle who projects at guard or center. Then you could see if Hoffman or Bass could man the other inside spot and Barton could also kick back all the way outside to LT if needed due to injury. Think he's a no brainer if available but sadly we sometimes draft with no brain.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I feel that Tyler can be a Pro Bowler at either position, and that he'd be a better LT than anyone we draft, at least right away.
I also think Bass can play LG. I like him. He has some punch in the run game and can get to the 2nd level well.
In the run game, I actually think Tyler/Bass will be better than Tyron/Tyler.
In the pass game is where we may see a retreat, but a better run game can help that, as can a possession type of pass game.
So I like a C in Round 1, and ideally, we could move back a bit and maybe get an extra 3rd.
Ran a mock and got offered a 3rd to move back to 27. Had a lot of guys I liked still on the board so I did it. JPJ went at 26 so I grabbed Barton at 27. Got Legette at 56. I like him as I think we need a big, powerful, physical receiver (he reminds me a little of Deebo). I think a guy like that can really help us keep the chains moving. In the 3rd, I got T'Vondre Sweat and Braelon Allen, then moved up in the 5th and got Eichenberg. Thought that was a great draft.
I think a great running game can help keep pressure off Dak, and also help the D by keeping them off the field, and a big WR like Legette could help too.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I feel that Tyler can be a Pro Bowler at either position, and that he'd be a better LT than anyone we draft, at least right away.
I also think Bass can play LG. I like him. He has some punch in the run game and can get to the 2nd level well.
In the run game, I actually think Tyler/Bass will be better than Tyron/Tyler.
In the pass game is where we may see a retreat, but a better run game can help that, as can a possession type of pass game.
So I like a C in Round 1, and ideally, we could move back a bit and maybe get an extra 3rd.
Ran a mock and got offered a 3rd to move back to 27. Had a lot of guys I liked still on the board so I did it. JPJ went at 26 so I grabbed Barton at 27. Got Legette at 56. I like him as I think we need a big, powerful, physical receiver (he reminds me a little of Deebo). I think a guy like that can really help us keep the chains moving. In the 3rd, I got T'Vondre Sweat and Braelon Allen, then moved up in the 5th and got Eichenberg. Thought that was a great draft.
I think a great running game can help keep pressure off Dak, and also help the D by keeping them off the field, and a big WR like Legette could help too.
I prefer a dominant no nonsense Center that sets the tone. I would love to see Barton at 24. I loved JPJ as well, just not sure about his injury risks.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Don’t worry guys, coach Jerry will figure a way to make him play both.

LysleE

Reaction score
Leave him at LG where he earned All-Pro honors last season; and he would provide a security blanket along with our HOF RG for the Cowboys’ OC, who will either be a rookie, or an inexperienced depth player promoted to the active roster.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Leave him at LG where he earned All-Pro honors last season; and he would provide a security blanket along with our HOF RG for the Cowboys’ OC, who will either be a rookie, or an inexperienced depth player promoted to the active roster.
And pick the 7th OT that had 5 starts in college?

That sounds like a great plan.

1942willys

Reaction score
its going to be a decision for sure; where do you put your emphasis. I have to agree that surrounding a rookie center with two all pros makes that secure; we can manage a rookie LT as we have done that before.

Gambit

Reaction score
Bass did not embarrass himself let him compete at G slide Tyler Smith back to LT protecting the 140 million $ mans blindside and get a Center at 24 .
You keep Tyler at Guard. Build around him. Even Duke Manyweather has explained this.

Bass is probably heir apparent at RG.

At 24 not a T worth taking over other spots. Don't be shocked a D pick at 24 if we can't trade back.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In a perfect word you keep Tyler at LG. But whatever Tackle prospect you get at 24 is a project. Much easier to find a day 1 starter on the interior than at LT.
Also much easier to find a decent older veteran play G. It's where good tackles often end their careers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
LT - He is certainly best suited to be a G but LT is where we needed him. G is much easier to fill with a less experienced lineman.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Depends on how the draft goes. Few, if any, expected Lamb to fall to us at 17 in the draft. Not at all unusual for the draft to have a run on one position or the other, what if there's a run on quarterbacks and receivers, and one of the top tackles falls to Dallas at 24? Then you grab him, leave Tyler at LG. If there's a run on offensive tackles and one of the top centers falls to 24, grab the center, move Bass to LG and Tyler to LT.

Now if the draft runs true to form, we have to realize the O-line is going to struggle, Dallas needs at least 2 linemen, and even if you get a top C or LT, likely you aren't getting another top lineman with the second round pick, could be a surprise player pop up but probably not, so your second lineman will need seasoning at best, and maybe a couple of years to develop.

And that's not even considering Dallas really needs better DT play, for example. If Mazi and Overshown don't light up the league the defense will also struggle.

Biggest problem is that Dallas has too many needs, impossible to fill all of them in the draft. So, we better pray some of the second-year players really improve greatly this year....

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
One thing the Cowboys do well is Draft Oline early. Smith, Martin, Fred. Even Conner Williams and McGovern were good picks. The whole board disagreed with the Fred Beard and Tyler picks. How that turn out. I'm thinkin Center early. Tyler to LT. Asim or Bass RT. Can't use too many premium picks on the Oline..

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep him at G because of the penalty issue. I think a huge mistake would be passing on a C because you feel the need to reach for a T though.

This team is in a division where you’ll see top DTs week after week, the inside oline positions are extremely important.
Plus, having a weak C derails every other position on the OL.

Same as having subpar DT's paralyzes every position on D.

kskboys

Reaction score
One thing the Cowboys do well is Draft Oline early. Smith, Martin, Fred. Even Conner Williams and McGovern were good picks. The whole board disagreed with the Fred Beard and Tyler picks. How that turn out. I'm thinkin Center early. Tyler to LT. Asim or Bass RT. Can't use too many premium picks on the Oline..
No we did not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely loved the Fredsy pick. However, I was one of the few

kskboys

Reaction score
Can Tyler play at All Pro Level at LT? Doubtful.
BUT we have no other REAL LT candidate on the roster.
Bass may be OK at LG but more than that is unlikely. Certainly never All Pro level
THAT leaves Center and any plan expecting Hoffman to play well against the best DTs in the NFL is a disastrous plan.

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:
We have TWO LARGE HOLES on the OLINE

We need two people to fill them that are NOT on the roster right now.

AND also the likelihood of getting a Day One Starter at LT that will really protect Daks blindside well enough at 24 is DOUBTFUL.

Once again the clown show FO has put us in this position by not doing its duty in FA. ONE of those holes should have been plugged then and was not.
We got Chupa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!