Tyler Smith physically similar to Larry Allen

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyler Smith is the closest OL that I've seen to Larry Allen in terms of power and athleticism.

He has LT athleticism with the power of a mauling gap-scheme OG.

He is completely raw with no technique.

He had penalty issues in college, about half of which were due to pancake blocks.

If he had played OG only in college and if he had SEC type coaching, he would be projected to the top half of the 1st. Lack of technique would have been OK at OG but even the very most athletic OL have to have some technique at LT. He was small school but they played Ohio State and other much bigger colleges.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyler Smith is the closest OL that I've seen to Larry Allen in terms of power and athleticism.

He had penalty issues in college, about half of which were due to pancake blocks.

If he had played OG only in college and if he had SEC type coaching, he would be projected to the top half of the 1st. Lack of technique would have been OK at OG but even the very most athletic OL have to have some technique at LT. He was small school but they played Ohio State and other much bigger colleges.
I am actually ok with him at 24. Ya might get Conner Williams in 2022, but he has legitimate LT potential. He could be as good an LT as Cross in 3 years

Reactions: BAT

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The question is can the Cowboys turn him into a serviceable guard by opening day. In two seasons he could develop into our best offensive lineman. Sign me up.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, within Bob Mcginns draft article where he speaks with gms and scouts, Kenyon Green was specifically compared to Larry allen by one scout.

This is Tyler smith's writeup:

5. TYLER SMITH, Tulsa (6-4 ½, 327, 5.04, 1-2): Another third-year sophomore. Started two of four games as a true freshman before redshirting. “Natural left tackle,” said one scout. ”This guy can pull and trap. Great technician. He can bend his knees and move his feet and slide. He was 21 on April 3. At the second level he was totally amazing. About as tough a guy as I saw. I don’t know how Tulsa got him. Only thing I didn’t like: he wants to hurt people. Sometimes when they do that, they get holding penalties (12 in 2021). He just smashes guys down and officials call a hold.” His high school in Fort Worth was small and fielded losing teams, reducing his exposure and college offers. “When you have the toughness he plays with and his makeup, there’s not an offensive line coach that would not want to work with him,” said a second scout. “He might have more upside than all these guys. You’re getting a really good athlete that can play guard or tackle. He’s long (34 arms). He’s a violent player. It’s hard for those guys to fail, but he has to clean up a lot of stuff from a fundamental standpoint. If you moved him to defense you’d be talking about a high-end nose tackle.” Made 21 starts at LT. Wonderlic of 30. “He’s a left tackle but I thought he was a long, long ways away,” said a third scout. “He’s just so out of control and so raw. Just sloppy. The big guy tries but the technique’s way off. He lunges, he’s top-heavy. I don’t see the top athletic ability that some others may see.”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

there are others stronger than Allen, but they are not football players, which are highly skilled. what's concerning is you say he is raw, which makes him a project and nothing more than a 6th round pick.

RS12

Reaction score
This team can't afford a first round bust. I think they have their eyes on Cross if the opportunity presents itself. Huge bust potential here IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I think many of us, really like the player, but are nervous to take him at 24. He is the ideal trade back option, but he may not last too long.

reddyuta

Reaction score
unfortunately we cant afford to take him,we need our 1st RD player to start on day 1.

buddieluver

Reaction score
there are others stronger than Allen, but they are not football players, which are highly skilled. what's concerning is you say he is raw, which makes him a project and nothing more than a 6th round pick.

I have never seen another player bench 705 pounds except Allen.

terra

Reaction score
I consider LA the greatest O lineman in NFL history so throwing around comparisons to him make me laugh out loud.

kumizi

Reaction score
If you gonna call this dude Larry Allen, you’re either going to be the go to guy on the forum or mocked mercilessly for years.

kevinhickey

Reaction score

Raw with no technique scares the hell out of me. It would be different if we had a loaded roster instead of a roster with many question marks. We can’t take chances and miss on our early selections; it sets the roster back years when the Jones refuse to use free agency to fill a hole with a stud. Poor technique only leads to penalties. This team has lacked proper execution for a number of years.

tm1119

Reaction score
Smith is like a freakishly athletic 6’10 freshman entering the nba draft. Love everything about him…except his ability to dribble, pass and shoot. Maybe the traits work out, but good luck with that project. Not picking an o-lineman in round 1 that literally needs to learn how to block. There are other very large athletes that can be had past the 4th round if you are looking to mold an athlete into a football player.