Tyler Smith physically similar to Larry Allen

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what is called confirmation bias. You’ve created this ridiculous narrative that Smith is like Larry Allen so you are choosing to see what you want. He got called for holding penalties because he constantly grabs the outside shoulder of the rusher, it couldn’t be more obvious.

https://youtu.be/JOz4H_6osvY

If by “pancake” you mean “tackling the defender after getting beat”…sure we can agree on that.

And having 0 technique doesn’t get solved moving to guard. You simply can’t block the way this kid does in the NFL, there is flat out constant holding when you watch him. And it has nothing to do with playing at Tulsa either. We are talking about basic fundamentals here, bend at the knees and and keep your elbows in and punch at the chest plate…Smith has no concept of simple techniques that are taught at the 8th grade level.

Green is a safe pick at OG no doubt, but I would try to trade down to somewhere between #30 and #34.
- It's highly possible that either Green or Zion remain available after a trade down but if not, then, he Tyler Smith after a trade down would be a good pick.
- At OG the only risk, IMO, is his readiness in 2022.
- By his 2nd season, he be at least at a young Trai Turner type OG.
- I just don't see the season one readiness risk as a big issue relative to the potential upside at LT backed by the mitigated risk of projecting to a plus level starter at OG by year 2.

tm1119

Reaction score
I've watched that game multiple times.

Go to 4:31 in the video (8:15 in the 2nd quarter) to see the 'fall on top of the defender' type penalty. If he just lets up before falling on top, it's not a penalty.

It is Tulsa vs Ohio State.

If he was playing OG and had an Ohio State or SEC type OL coach, it's a different story.
- His OL coach was a 1st time OL coach in 2020 and only moved past grad assistant for the 1st time in 2018.

So let me get this straight…if he didn’t commit the penalty it wouldn’t have been a penalty? No idea what you are saying. He was beat trying to make a stretch block to the inside and fell on the guy’s back. At no point was Smith making an impactful block before the penalty. And I’m not even blaming him for not making the block as it was an extremely tough ask…but I don’t understand what you are trying to defend with this penalty.

And we are just talking in circles. I don’t care if his coach was an infant, he clearly lacks basic fundamentals that are coached at the high school level. Sometimes it’s a “you” problem. And I’m not saying he can’t/won’t improve, but your ridiculous hyperboles are making me seem like a Smith hater. I’m not, he’d be a great pick…at 56.

But enjoy your man crush, I’m sure I have 1 or 2 you’d disagree with

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let me get this straight…if he didn’t commit the penalty it wouldn’t have been a penalty? No idea what you are saying. He was beat trying to make a stretch block to the inside and fell on the guy’s back. At no point was Smith making an impactful block before the penalty. And I’m not even blaming him for not making the block as it was an extremely tough ask…but I don’t understand what you are trying to defend with this penalty.

And we are just talking in circles. I don’t care if his coach was an infant, he clearly lacks basic fundamentals that are coached at the high school level. Sometimes it’s a “you” problem. And I’m not saying he can’t/won’t improve, but your ridiculous hyperboles are making me seem like a Smith hater. I’m not, he’d be a great pick…at 56.

But enjoy your man crush, I’m sure I have 1 or 2 you’d disagree with
No penalty if he didn't end up on top of the defender.

Reactions: BAT

terra

Reaction score
No penalty if he didn't end up on top of the defender.
"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry christmas." Don Meredith

Sorry, but trying to claim the majority of those penalties were because he was outstanding just makes me laugh.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Then NFL executives across the league are suffering from same confirmation bias because Tyler Smith has been jetting up draft boards since combines.

Warts and all.

This is what is called confirmation bias. You’ve created this ridiculous narrative that Smith is like Larry Allen so you are choosing to see what you want. He got called for holding penalties because he constantly grabs the outside shoulder of the rusher, it couldn’t be more obvious.

https://youtu.be/JOz4H_6osvY

If by “pancake” you mean “tackling the defender after getting beat”…sure we can agree on that.

And having 0 technique doesn’t get solved moving to guard. You simply can’t block the way this kid does in the NFL, there is flat out constant holding when you watch him. And it has nothing to do with playing at Tulsa either. We are talking about basic fundamentals here, bend at the knees and and keep your elbows in and punch at the chest plate…Smith has no concept of simple techniques that are taught at the 8th grade level.

terra

Reaction score
And where have
Then NFL executives across the league are suffering from same confirmation bias because Tyler Smith has been jetting up draft boards since combines.

Warts and all.
we seen that before....

Underwear olympics gold medal winners and complete failures in the NFL

terra

Reaction score
What makes the all time greats like LA and LT and the others is what is between the ears.

Falling in lust with someone because of measurables is something virtually all GM's do. Jamarcus Russell perhaps one of the very best examples. Physically he had it all with an arm as strong as any that had ever been seen. Did not make him an NFL player thought, did it?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
What makes the all time greats like LA and LT and the others is what is between the ears.

Falling in lust with someone because of measurables is something virtually all GM's do. Jamarcus Russell perhaps one of the very best examples. Physically he had it all with an arm as strong as any that had ever been seen. Did not make him an NFL player thought, did it?

So pancakes and ragdolling defenders is now considered measurables and combine related?

***** and moan with accuracy please.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is the very definition of boom bust. Yes he could develop into Larry Allen but he also is not capable of playing in the NFL currently and may never. We have less practice time than ever nowadays to train him.

This will not happen. McClay came in and changed our valuation of small school prospects.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Bob Sturm went against the Smith momentum in his write up on Smith yesterday in the Athletic. Had him as a day 3 prospect as a tackle prospect. He really liked the End from Penn State and said he should be in consideration at 24 as well.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You cannot teach what Smith possess from a physical standpoint. If he is willing to work on his craft, could potentially become the best tackle in this year's class. Terrence Steele who is known to be one of the hardest workers, made the team as an undrafted fa and now is the team's starting tackle. He has limited physical traits, if Smith does the same, we are talking about an elite tackle.

What is in this thread is practically all I know about his player & I was having similar thoughts as relates to Steele.

No way I would take this type player in early round based on this limited info .... BUT as a later round guy who might put in the work & become something special, sure.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Came to post the Tyler Smith vs Ohio State tape. He faces a Day 3 talent in Tyreke Smith and gets worked in pass pro.

Tyler is years away if ever from starting at LT, and I'm not sold on him as a LG either. He brings movement to pull and nuclear-detonator power, but I don't think his pass pro issues are solved by moving inside.

And frankly, I'm not convinced that Tyler Smith is this uniquely powerful prospect with Larry Allen-ish strength. Green and Johnson are on his same level with 100x more polish, and the most immovable guard I can remember seeing in years was Quenton Nelson.

Verdict

Reaction score
Larry Allen was a bit raw coming into the league as well. I’m not comparing the two, I’m just saying Allen was far from a finished product coming in.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Came to post the Tyler Smith vs Ohio State tape. He faces a Day 3 talent in Tyreke Smith and gets worked in pass pro.

Tyler is years away if ever from starting at LT, and I'm not sold on him as a LG either. He brings movement to pull and nuclear-detonator power, but I don't think his pass pro issues are solved by moving inside.

And frankly, I'm not convinced that Tyler Smith is this uniquely powerful prospect with Larry Allen-ish strength. Green and Johnson are on his same level with 100x more polish, and the most immovable guard I can remember seeing in years was Quenton Nelson.
Penning got beaten repeated at the Senior Bowl by day 3 DEs.

terra

Reaction score
So pancakes and ragdolling defenders is now considered measurables and combine related?

***** and moan with accuracy please.
And HOW many penalties did he get by your supposed great plays?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Green is a safe pick at OG no doubt, but I would try to trade down to somewhere between #30 and #34.
- It's highly possible that either Green or Zion remain available after a trade down but if not, then, he Tyler Smith after a trade down would be a good pick.
- At OG the only risk, IMO, is his readiness in 2022.
- By his 2nd season, he be at least at a young Trai Turner type OG.
- I just don't see the season one readiness risk as a big issue relative to the potential upside at LT backed by the mitigated risk of projecting to a plus level starter at OG by year 2.
He would have been a decent pick 10 spots lower with an added draft pick. He is a second round draft pick.