Tyler Smith physically similar to Larry Allen

Beaker42

Reaction score
These are obviously bad clips. But I feel it's only fair to share some good clips too.

Ultimately, I'd rather not use a first in a development guy. But we are looking at a legitimately powerful dude who could be a difference maker at g

He'd get nailed for holding with that first takedown. Tyron gets called for holds on pancakes that are 10X cleaner than that.

LOBO7

Reaction score
30 on his Wonderlic, only 21 and has had very little coaching. Seems to have a great attitude.
Most potential for improvement for a lineman in the draft.

rags747

Reaction score
This is what is called confirmation bias. You’ve created this ridiculous narrative that Smith is like Larry Allen so you are choosing to see what you want. He got called for holding penalties because he constantly grabs the outside shoulder of the rusher, it couldn’t be more obvious.

https://youtu.be/JOz4H_6osvY

If by “pancake” you mean “tackling the defender after getting beat”…sure we can agree on that.

And having 0 technique doesn’t get solved moving to guard. You simply can’t block the way this kid does in the NFL, there is flat out constant holding when you watch him. And it has nothing to do with playing at Tulsa either. We are talking about basic fundamentals here, bend at the knees and and keep your elbows in and punch at the chest plate…Smith has no concept of simple techniques that are taught at the 8th grade level.

Hello?!

tromofan

Reaction score
We need Mean & Nasty on our OL bigtime, trade down and take him. Start him at guard and let him learn there, has to be better than what we had.
Yeah, we need another Erik Williams type.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Great reading the comments from this old post, have all of the doubters enjoyed their CROW?!

I enjoy my crow, served.

That's why I don't bash other posters' opinions just because they've been wrong before. I've been wrong before. But I was a Tyler Smith fan before our draft because of the discussions on the board in the draft zone.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Wow.... now he's Larry Allen. Some of you clearly don't remember Larry Allen.

And some don't get that a comparison isn't an exact match comparison.

Yet, if you consider that, he's right.

Like Allen, who was also raw as a young player, Tyler Smith gets by, dominates even, on strength.

"Similar," doesn't mean exactly like...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And some don't get that a comparison isn't an exact match comparison.

Yet, if you consider that, he's right.

Like Allen, who was also raw as a young player, Tyler Smith gets by, dominates even, on strength.

"Similar," doesn't mean exactly like...

I like Tyson but I think its unfair to start comparing him to an all-time great and first ballot HOFer. I think its setting folks up for disappointment b/c the lord only made one Larry Allen. Heck, lets just hope he's Mark Tunei at this point.

He's exceeded his rookie expectations at LT so far b/c he wasn't supposed to play there and everyone was waiting for disaster. He's currently PFF's 45th ranked OT. If you have a rating service that has him grading out more impressively, post it.

He's holding down the position but the Cowboys are fooling themselves if they keep him there when Tyron is healthy enough to play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sturm went against the Smith momentum in his write up on Smith yesterday in the Athletic. Had him as a day 3 prospect as a tackle prospect. He really liked the End from Penn State and said he should be in consideration at 24 as well.
Listen to me and ignore Strum next time...