Tyler Smith physically similar to Larry Allen

Beaker42

Reaction score
Tyler Smith is the closest OL that I've seen to Larry Allen in terms of power and athleticism.

He has LT athleticism with the power of a mauling gap-scheme OG.

He is completely raw with no technique.

He had penalty issues in college, about half of which were due to pancake blocks.

If he had played OG only in college and if he had SEC type coaching, he would be projected to the top half of the 1st. Lack of technique would have been OK at OG but even the very most athletic OL have to have some technique at LT. He was small school but they played Ohio State and other much bigger colleges.
What about Jason Peters in his prime?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Tyler Smith is the closest OL that I've seen to Larry Allen in terms of power and athleticism.

He had penalty issues in college, about half of which were due to pancake blocks.

If he had played OG only in college and if he had SEC type coaching, he would be projected to the top half of the 1st. Lack of technique would have been OK at OG but even the very most athletic OL have to have some technique at LT. He was small school but they played Ohio State and other much bigger colleges.
Sounds like a great project
If he's coachable I'm in.

Reactions: BAT

Gaede

Reaction score

These are obviously bad clips. But I feel it's only fair to share some good clips too.

Ultimately, I'd rather not use a first in a development guy. But we are looking at a legitimately powerful dude who could be a difference maker at g

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith is like a freakishly athletic 6’10 freshman entering the nba draft. Love everything about him…except his ability to dribble, pass and shoot. Maybe the traits work out, but good luck with that project. Not picking an o-lineman in round 1 that literally needs to learn how to block. There are other very large athletes that can be had past the 4th round if you are looking to mold an athlete into a football player.
Not this type of physical ability.

LA had no technique in college.

terra

Reaction score
Not this type of physical ability.

LA had no technique in college.
Sonoma St if I recall correctly. Which does not even have football anymore. No weight training worth the name, coaches barely deserving even that level, etc.
Which was why LA got schooled by a few top players his rookie year. But they never did again. This guy as I said has a LOT of wood to chop to be compared to LA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You cannot teach what Smith possess from a physical standpoint. If he is willing to work on his craft, could potentially become the best tackle in this year's class. Terrence Steele who is known to be one of the hardest workers, made the team as an undrafted fa and now is the team's starting tackle. He has limited physical traits, if Smith does the same, we are talking about an elite tackle.

chicago JK

Reaction score
These are obviously bad clips. But I feel it's only fair to share some good clips too.

Ultimately, I'd rather not use a first in a development guy. But we are looking at a legitimately powerful dude who could be a difference maker at g

That is fair. I don't know much about the player and my post wasn't meant to say the OP is wrong. Bob Sturm does weekly writeups and I believe he typically does 50 players. He is doing 5 more this year and was reviewing Smith yesterday. It will be interesting to see where he rates him when it comes out.

Gaede

Reaction score
That is fair. I don't know much about the player and my post wasn't meant to say the OP is wrong. Bob Sturm does weekly writeups and I believe he typically does 50 players. He is doing 5 more this year and was reviewing Smith yesterday. It will be interesting to see where he rates him when it comes out.

Totally get it. I think the Twitterization of draft prospects is funny. You can see one 9 second highlight and just think, man this dude sucks! Or the exact opposite. That is 100 percent the case with Smith. Some amazing, some really bad.

I'm guessing he goes early second round. Perhaps a T needy team that skipped the position in Rd 1

RodeoJake

Reaction score

I saw this young man play a few times last year. He's got a lot of ability, great size and strength. However, like the video showed, he got beat by a quick first step. Sometimes his athleticism allowed him to recover. He definitely needs technique, but his biggest issue is he often went too far punishing defenders.

tm1119

Reaction score

I don’t think his 16 holding penalties had anything to do with pancake blocks, that’s a completely false narrative. He lead the nation in penalties because he doesn’t know how to block. Watching his tape now and it probably should have been close to double. He’s a walking holding penalty at tackle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think his 16 holding penalties had anything to do with pancake blocks, that’s a completely false narrative. He lead the nation in penalties because he doesn’t know how to block. Watching his tape now and it probably should have been close to double. He’s a walking holding penalty at tackle.
I watched 6 complete games.

A huge number of penalties were from the pancake blocks.

The other penalties would have been far less if he only played OG.

Play him at LG in 2022 and then move him to LT when Tyron retires unless Josh Ball lives up to his physical talent and becomes the Tyron replacement.

The risk with Tyler Smith is low as an OG.

If he was LT or nothing, then he would be a much higher risk.

tm1119

Reaction score
I watched 6 complete games.

A huge number of penalties were from the pancake blocks.

The other penalties would have been far less if he only played OG.

Play him at LG in 2022 and then move him to LT when Tyron retires unless Josh Ball lives up to his physical talent and becomes the Tyron replacement.

The risk with Tyler Smith is low as an OG.

If he was LT or nothing, then he would be a much higher risk.

This is what is called confirmation bias. You’ve created this ridiculous narrative that Smith is like Larry Allen so you are choosing to see what you want. He got called for holding penalties because he constantly grabs the outside shoulder of the rusher, it couldn’t be more obvious.

https://youtu.be/JOz4H_6osvY

If by “pancake” you mean “tackling the defender after getting beat”…sure we can agree on that.

And having 0 technique doesn’t get solved moving to guard. You simply can’t block the way this kid does in the NFL, there is flat out constant holding when you watch him. And it has nothing to do with playing at Tulsa either. We are talking about basic fundamentals here, bend at the knees and and keep your elbows in and punch at the chest plate…Smith has no concept of simple techniques that are taught at the 8th grade level.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what is called confirmation bias. You’ve created this ridiculous narrative that Smith is like Larry Allen so you are choosing to see what you want. He got called for holding penalties because he constantly grabs the outside shoulder of the rusher, it couldn’t be more obvious.

https://youtu.be/JOz4H_6osvY

If by “pancake” you mean “tackling the defender after getting beat”…sure we can agree on that.

And having 0 technique doesn’t get solved moving to guard. You simply can’t block the way this kid does in the NFL, there is flat out constant holding when you watch him. And it has nothing to do with playing at Tulsa either. We are talking about basic fundamentals here, bend at the knees and and keep your elbows in and punch at the chest plate…Smith has no concept of simple techniques that are taught at the 8th grade level.

I've watched that game multiple times.

Go to 4:31 in the video (8:15 in the 2nd quarter) to see the 'fall on top of the defender' type penalty. If he just lets up before falling on top, it's not a penalty.

It is Tulsa vs Ohio State.

If he was playing OG and had an Ohio State or SEC type OL coach, it's a different story.
- His OL coach was a 1st time OL coach in 2020 and only moved past grad assistant for the 1st time in 2018.