Tyler Smith praised as "off the charts good."

Hardline

Reaction score

RS12

Reaction score
Him showing up at Vonn Miller's pass rush camp shows you he is willing to go the extra mile to be great. Would like to see Peters retained in some capacity as his mentoring was important in his development.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know about all of that praise...

Tyler Smith played well, but he also struggled at times at Left Tackle. He played 1,144 snaps (6th overall in the NFL), but he gave up 6 sacks (tied for 15th overall) and 13 penalties (tied 1st).

I believe Tyler Smith would perform even better at Guard. Looking forward to see Tyler Smith start at Left Guard since Tyron Smith will be back starting at Left Tackle.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Tyler Smith played well, but he also struggled at times at Left Tackle. He played 1,144 snaps (6th overall in the NFL), but he gave up 6 sacks (tied for 15th overall) and 13 penalties (tied 1st).

I believe Tyler Smith would perform even better at Guard. Looking forward to see Tyler Smith start at Left Guard since Tyron Smith will be back starting at Left Tackle.
Tyron Smith allowed 9.5 sacks as a rookie, and he was playing right tackle. Tyler Smith performed about as well as any should expect a rookie left tackle to perform.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tyron Smith allowed 9.5 sacks as a rookie, and he was playing right tackle. Tyler Smith performed about as well as any should expect a rookie left tackle to perform.
True but only 7 penalties as a rookie for Tyron compared to 13 for Tyler. Why? I believe because of their slight difference in athleticism. See the RAS scores of both below...

Picsart-23-07-05-23-46-40-981.jpg

As you can see, Tyron is bigger/taller, yet faster, quicker and more athletic, hence why the lesser amount of penalties. Tyler is a very good player, but since he is slightly slower, less quick and slightly less athletic than Tyron, it would most likely be best for Tyler to play inside at Guard.

Being moved to Left Guard to start the season and watching how he performs there will be very telling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Water is wet. He is what we thought he could be.
Everyone thought that he was talented but raw. That he needed a ton of work and refinement before he was ready. His hard work proved them wrong. Nobody could have predicted just how good he would be as a rookie, especially by being forced to play multiple positions due to injuries.

He exceeded all expectations.

starfan1

Reaction score

Well the cowboys apparently agree with you because that’s the apparent starting left side

Not sure having Tyron anywhere else but swing is a good idea but I’ll gladly be wrong if he can perform well and stay healthy

I give over under at 5 games before he’s hurt or playing hurt and below standards

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
"Off the charts good", "Best shape of his life", "about to take the next step and become elite"... when are these accolades going to pay off? Where is the Super Bowl at the end of this rainbow?

Frankly, these over the top praises should cease until these players actually do something in the playoffs.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True but only 7 penalties as a rookie for Tyron compared to 13 for Tyler. Why? I believe because of their slight difference in athleticism. See the RAS scores of both below...

Picsart-23-07-05-23-46-40-981.jpg

As you can see, Tyron is bigger/taller, yet faster, quicker and more athletic, hence why the lesser amount of penalties. Tyler is a very good player, but since he is slightly slower, less quick and slightly less athletic than Tyron, it would most likely be best for Tyler to play inside at Guard.

Being moved to Left Guard to start the season and watching how he performs there will be very telling.
I don't think anyone's claiming he's as good as Tyron, just that he's really, really good.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"Off the charts good", "Best shape of his life", "about to take the next step and become elite"... when are these accolades going to pay off? Where is the Super Bowl at the end of this rainbow?

Frankly, these over the top praises should cease until these players actually do something in the playoffs.
As with the QB, you can't judge one player by the results of the team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hope I’m wrong here, but I’m not expecting Tyron Smith to play that much. He has missed 33 games the last 3 years due to injury and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. He was once the absolute best player on the team but his reliability is extremely low. Love the guy but his body is balsa wood.

Tyler Smith on the other hand will probably play the vast majority of the season at LT. Father Time is undefeated and he’s been rapping on Tyron’s door.

And Tyler Smith played very well last year. For a rookie, he was great.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Maybe they should shut this board down until they win a SB. I say only one team per year is allowed to have any message boards. Ya with me!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No man is an island. It’s a team game. Tyler Smith can be the next Larry Allen but other factors may contribute to the team not winning it all. That shouldn’t detract from his individual performance.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

It's mental, not athleticism. Tyler is a good enough athlete that if he's in position, he's not going to get beat clean very often. He struggles when he doesn't know exactly how to approach a play.

That, and refs call a lot more nonsense than they did in 2011.