Twitter: Tyron could be out multiple months

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I feel this is a little bit loaded based on things happening around the team at the time. That play action rating difference is almost nonsensical. Maybe the backup at the time was particularly bad

We also had Connor Williams on that side of the field, and he was our weakest link.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
May be this was the plan from day One , LT replacement is Tyler Smith and let him bring on slowly as guard in the left side to get familiar with NFL work and move him to LT ( once Tyron inevitably injured)

But this approach has weakened the whole left side not to mention so-so center. Biadaz, McGovern and Smith ( too much inexperience , which will be exploited by DLs )

gimmesix

Reaction score
Remember Chaz Green? He was Tyron’s replacement for a stretch. That Falcons game probably takes a few QBR points off by itself

This is true as well. Tyron is an All-Pro so of course the team is going to play better when he's on the field. But there are multiple factors to consider for a lower success rate, especially when you are dealing with the offensive line, where playing as a unit is probably more important than with any other unit.

Verdict

Reaction score
Wow, who could have ever thought Tyron Smith might not be able to play because of an injury?

Seriously I love the guy and feel bad for him. But this front office has lived in fantasy land thinking he was a reliable anchor of this OL. Just sad.
Not sure age or wear and tear has anything to do with this particular injury, but the Cowboys should have planned ahead for the inevitable injury to TS.

Whether the first round draft pick qualifies as prior planning I will leave up to the huddled masses. I think the first round pick does qualify, but that’s just me. We are about to find out if the rookie can play LT or not.

JayFord

Reaction score
22 page thread?

any chance to overreact and say the sky is falling.....

gimmesix

Reaction score
No. They should have signed a legitimate backup tackle months ago, and let the rookie focus on playing G without holding. Why would you move the rookie. If Zack Martin is so good, which I think he is, let him play tackle.

I wouldn't move Martin to the left side after years of playing just on the right side. He probably could do it, but it would be better to shift him to RT IMO and move Steele to LT if we want to leave Tyler at LG. Steele played some at LT just last year.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I remember thinking how this OL was just getting started in 2016 and would reign for a decade given the longer career outlook for offensive lineman (play well into their 30s).

Would never have imagined Frederick would be done by 26 and Tyron’s body would start breaking down at 28/29.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I remember thinking how this OL was just getting started in 2016 and would reign for a decade given the longer career outlook for offensive lineman (play well into their 30s).

Would never have imagined Frederick would be done by 26 and Tyron’s body would start breaking down at 28/29.

It was great in 2014, 2015, and 2016 and never quite as good after that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why our dysfunctional front office continues to be Cowboys Football greatest handicap.

We knew this was a strong possibility and didn’t address it in offseason.

Tussinman

Reaction score
How have we priced ourselves out of the FA market :huh:? We have the 3rd highest available CAP?
Because there's no way there dropping 7 figures for a year rental at LT which is what it will cost to get someone actually somewhat legitimate. Too expensive for there taste even if they have the money (there egos won't allow it, they'll either roll a jag out there already on the roster or sign someone extremely washed to save a few million)

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Jethro’s response is actually why he has no business being a GM. He doesn’t plan for worse case scenario.
No body can always plan for worse case scenario, but Tyron hasnt played a full season in 5-6 years and so they should have got a backup ( as swing tackle. Atleast )