Twitter: Tyron could be out multiple months

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tyron is a LT ..

Nevertheless, for once, I agree with you. One guy going down can't be an excuse for tanking the entire season. Losing a guy the caliber of Tyron Smith is hard, and it hurts the team's chances, but a team strong enough to have a lot of success has to be able to overcome some hardship. Every team will have obstacles over the season, and success and failure is all about how well a team deals with them
Generally I’d agree but we’re talking about the most dysfunctionally managed franchise . Lol

What GM doesn’t plan for worse case scenarios ?

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
This may have been asked but I didn't feel like reading through all of the replies:
If Tyron needs to retire due to injury, what becomes of his cap hit? Are the Cowboys still on the hook for it? I know they've been restructuring his contract for what seems like every year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Update I saw. He had a avulsion fracture in his knee, which involves the hamstring tendon tearing off the bone. And this dude walked out and went home like nothing. I would be calling ambulance..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What have we done with one of the best offlines(and expensive to point out) the past 6 seasons?
Beaten up on the NFC East and 1 playoff win.
Let's trade all our next year picks for a stud LT you think anything will change?
NOPE.....
P.S.Offlineman are NOT playmakers.......Turpin is.
We haven't had the best O-Lines the last 6 seasons. Martin at LG has been the only top, reliable starter that long.

* Tyron has been playing with nagging injuries for several years, and hasn't played a full season since 2015.
* Frederick developed an unusal illness and hasn't played the last 2 seasons at all, or 3 of the last 4. The last time he played fully healthy was in 2017.
* LG hasn't had a steady, reliable starter since Ron Leary in 2016
* Collins was solid at RT for a year or two, but that hasn't been the case at the position over most of the past 6 years

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You want them to pamper Dak even more? He's getting paid to be the leader. He has to take the good with the bad. If he gets hurt so be it, if he does not get hurt so be it.
If it was up to some of the Dak lovers here they would want him to be in a glass case filled with pictures of all his charity and goodwill functions and just worship him without even having played a single down just in case he sprains his little pinky.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This may have been asked but I didn't feel like reading through all of the replies:
If Tyron needs to retire due to injury, what becomes of his cap hit? Are the Cowboys still on the hook for it? I know they've been restructuring his contract for what seems like every year.
We are on the hook. Maybe he would restructure and take a pay cut next year and just play backup. No camp. Just show up game time. Knowing his injury career they had no business having him practicing.

Well here is the big injury that happens to us every year to a star player.

Throw Tyler in at LT and McGovern apparently is supposed to be having a good camp at guard.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

It's time for JJ to do some type of injury settlement with Smith and release him from the team. This type of injury is one that will take a season or two to get him right and that's just not in the cards at this time. The Cowboys can't afford to carry this dude anymore, he was once the heart and sole of the O-Lione, but that was years ago and with his latest injury he isn't going to be worth a plum nickel to the Cowboys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Generally I’d agree but we’re talking about the most dysfunctionally managed franchise . Lol

What GM doesn’t plan for worse case scenarios ?
I don't really see that as disagreeing with what I wrote. Dysfunctional ownership/management isn't an acceptable excuse for the team for not being strong enough to overcome the loss of one player.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Dallas is so stupid for trusting that he'll be healthy. Everyone knows he's going to be hurt, it's just a matter of how many games he'll miss. Now he's gonna miss them all. He just needs to retire, if only so the team can smarten up a bit and quit counting on him.

Tussinman

Reaction score
He has a combined 8 million that's already been physically paid to him for 2023 and 2024 so it would be a dead cap of 4 million each year for those two years

Obviously dead cap isn't a good thing but all things considered that's extremely low. To get out of a defensive end left tackle or QB contract in the year 2023 with that low of a dead cap is actually not bad, especially considering how many times they've restructured his deal

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If it was up to some of the Dak lovers here they would want him to be in a glass case filled with pictures of all his charity and goodwill functions and just worship him without even having played a single down just in case he sprains his little pinky.
Dak obsessed troll.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
All we have to do on offense is kneel 3 times and punt: Let Micah and Co score on defense. Coach Red Bayou executed a similar tactic lol

ac1da8eb-3a40-4962-ad41-ff841c3cfadd_screenshot.jpg

Tussinman

Reaction score
If they don’t they will lose a 140 million dollar investment at QB.
It's a weird situation where emotionally they care but economically they don't. This is like the six or seventh straight year that they've done absolutely nothing for tackle depth even though there cap situation has been decent for most of those years and they've had chronic health issues

Another classic case of the dollar signs and the decisions they make aren't lining up with the whole "oh yeah we're all in"

Majic

Reaction score
Important Martin stays at RG.

We don't know when he will start to regress. I believe he didn't grade particularly well against the 49ers and perhaps another late season game.

Keep him where he is to prolong his career

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Another problem is since they waited so long they might have priced themselves out of the free agent market

There's a huge difference between "we will pay you three to five million to be a backup and maybe fill in a few games" versus "hey we have to pay you to start 17 games at the second most valuable position"

Happened to the eagles a few years ago and that situation their backup was already on the roster let alone a free agent (they were paying Peters I think 5 million to be guard and be the emergency backup tackle and when their starter went down in camp and they pitch to Peter's hey you might have to start the full year at LT he immediately went no I'm not touching that for less than 10 million a year).
That's a great recall of that Peters situation.