Twitter: Tyron could be out multiple months

dogberry

Reaction score
On roster maintenance, do we cut Smith and re-sign him in 24 hours?

Move Martin to left Tackle. More two TE formations.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nah they could buy one easy......remember 8 billion worth and 1 billion in revenues ain't peanuts!!!

The Jones boys could buy whatever they wanted in a non-cap world, but would they make the right choices? I have my doubts.

It's not like they've earned their personnel roles on merit. They simply handed them to themselves, and we've seen the results.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I am sorry but this is nearly unbelievable. I love Tyron Smith and he is one of my favorite Cowboys, but when I read this initially I literally thought it was satire. The injury prone label is usually thrown around too loosely, but wow it is shocking at the variety/severity of injuries that Tyron has dealt with the last 4 or 5 seasons.

Is it still good business to not use all the cap space? Asking for me.

Our front office treats the salary cap like some mythical deity that will bring death and destruction upon us all if we so much as look at it the wrong way. The fact the Jones boys have refused to even entertain getting veteran help on the offensive line/ WR is just dumbfounding to me. We all knew there was no chance Tyron plays more than 8 games this season but the front office seemed to think that 5+ years of injury history would evaporate for an aging player at a premium position.

plasticman

Reaction score
I was already mentally prepared for this.

I mean, c'mon, Tyron wasn't getting a "second wind" to his career. If it wasn't the hamstring, it was going to be the back or something else.

Tyron gave us some great years and it's sad that it never came to championships, but it's over. At least that's my frame of mind. If he makes it back, then pleasant surprise, but I certainly don't expect it.

I guess it would have been rude to just play Tyler at LT all preseason but that is his position. Really, it always was.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But it shouldn't even be a concern at all if the FO understood the concepts of disaster planning and risk assessment.

It's like living in a volcano hazard area where there's a hazard of lava every so often flowing through the backyard. Eventually, that lava is going to enter the living room unless you're smart enough to realize that you need to move. Jerry, in this analogy, wouldn't realise it until the lava was on the floor.

Ken

Reaction score
Everyone seemed to know this was coming but the GM that did nothing to shore up the swing tackle position.
Ya...they clearly should have another all pro LT ready to step in like every other team does.

They drafted Smith for this eventuality. They didn't expect it.to happen so soon and for so long though. Frankly, i think Tyler can be an above average PT but he has All pro capability at LG, IMO.

They like Ball and Waletzgo. I trust them in their OL evals, willing to roll with it and see what happens.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ya...they clearly should have another all pro LT ready to step in like every other team does.

They drafted Smith for this eventuality. They didn't expect it.to happen so soon and for so long though. Frankly, i think Tyler can be an above average PT but he has All pro capability at LG, IMO.

They like Ball and Waletzgo. I trust them in their OL evals, willing to roll with it and see what happens.

Maybe, but they need to make a move also for either Wynn or Fisher to serve as insurance if something happens.

Reactions: Ken

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

How do they know what they had in Ball this offseason?

No one is saying they need an all-pro but how about someone who has taken a snap in the NFL? They have a LT that hasn't been healthy for a full season in a long time.