Tyron gone for 6.5mil? Something has changed

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyron made 2nd Team All Pro and went to the Jets for a 1year 6.5mil contract.

He only missed one game in the 2nd half of the season, and played the last 3 games. He's not injured and is playing great.

We've spent almost that much for backup swing Ts in the past. As a percentage of cap, we might have spent more.

We stuck with Tyron coming off inferior play and more injuries for much more money than 6.5mil.

Something has changed. I would have expected them to jump at that price.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/tyron-smith-7724/

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyron made 2nd Team All Pro and went to the Jets for a 1year 6.5mil contract.

He only missed one game in the 2nd half of the season, and played the last 3 games. He's not injured and is playing great.

We've spent almost that much for backup swing Ts in the past. As a percentage of cap, we might have spent more.

We stuck with Tyron coming off inferior play and more injuries for much more money than 6.5mil.

Something has changed. I would have expected them to jump at that price.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/tyron-smith-7724/
Seems the old man has given up on this team.
More changes are on their way so buckle up..............

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree, this year feels very different than previous years. His deal this year is roughly $6M with incentives to get to $20M. Last season the Cowboys paid him a $3M base, $3M signing bonus + incentives to get him to $17M. WIth the cap going up about 10% this year it's basically the same deal the Cowboys were willing to do last year. Hes still a quality LT when healthy and played in 14 games last year. Considering scrubs like Jonah Williams are getting $15M in free agency to play T, Tyron is not a bad signing at all given his incentive based contracts hes willing to sign.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is the classic case of only break glass in case of an emergency....He can't stay healthy, when he's somewhat healthy, he can't practice, his only value at his age is as a backup swing tackle, so it was time to move on.....
I mean you are correct he’s oft injured but saying “only value” is as a back up to an all pro is a bit silly. It was 6.5 million only guaranteed it’s worth the risk to see if you get another all pro year from him

Big_D

Reaction score
That belt is much tighter than usual and they’re choosing not to rework anyone to free up space. If they had the money.. every single Cowboy would’ve been back. Tyron, Pollard, Biadiscz, Gallimore. It’s desperate times when they can’t keep their own FAs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It’s up to $20m on the contract
But it was up to $17M on the contract a year ago, so i still think the OP is correct. Something has changed as they were willing to do basically the same deal a year ago and now they are not. Could just be a Tyron specific issue, could simply be they like Tyler Smith at T, or it could be something bigger.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
That belt is much tighter than usual and they’re choosing not to rework anyone to free up space. If they had the money.. every single Cowboy would’ve been back. Tyron, Pollard, Biadiscz, Gallimore. It’s desperate times when they can’t keep their own FAs.
I just don't get what's going on what's the real reasoning

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I mean you are correct he’s oft injured but saying “only value” is as a back up to an all pro is a bit silly. It was 6.5 million only guaranteed it’s worth the risk to see if you get another all pro year from him
He can't play a full season anymore, your naive to think he can, it's not about the money, it's about availability, and running Richards, or Edoga or Walenski our there every other week is NO WAY To run a franchise at such an important position which protects the blind side of the quarterback...Tyler Smith was drafted specifically to be Tyrons replacment, so it's time to move Tyler back outside, let Bass, Richards and Edoga battle it out at left guard and draft center Jackson Powers-Johnson in the first round...

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
But it was up to $17M on the contract a year ago, so i still think the OP is correct. Something has changed as they were willing to do basically the same deal a year ago and now they are not. Could just be a Tyron specific issue, could simply be they like Tyler Smith at T, or it could be something bigger.
And if he hit the incentives for $20m (he won’t) then it would be way past worth the money because it means he was always on the field and likely had an amazing year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyron Smith is the classic case of only break glass in case of an emergency....He can't stay healthy, when he's somewhat healthy, he can't practice, his only value at his age is as a backup swing tackle, so it was time to move on.....
2nd Team All Pro
Healthiest season since at least 2019.
Played 9 out of our last 10 games.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He can't play a full season anymore, your naive to think he can, it's not about the money, it's about availability, and running Richards, or Edoga or Walenski our there every other week is NO WAY To run a franchise at such an important position which protects the blind side of the quarterback...Tyler Smith was drafted specifically to be Tyrons replacment, so it's time to move Tyler back outside, let Bass, Richards and Edoga battle it out at left guard and draft center Jackson Powers-Johnson in the first round...
I’d rather have Tyron smith for 13 games playing at an all pro level, then have to replace 2 offensive lineman in the same year for a team that’s supposedly competing for a championship. That’s my preference. I also think it’s ridiculous to move Tyler smith now after he has played so damn good at his position.

Jpj is going to be gone. Regardless saying Tyron is only a back up is silly

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
2nd Team All Pro
Healthiest season since at least 2019.
Played 9 out of our last 10 games.
So he missed almost half the season, and your defense is he played more games than the last 5 years proving my point he can't stay heathy.

Last edited: