Tyron gone for 6.5mil? Something has changed

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to see the details, but this is what I was hoping the Cowboys would do with him. Give him a deal that paid him based on games played and performance. For me, it would be worth it to eliminate at least one more gaping hole in the roster before the draft. But as others have stated this might be the year to draft an OT since the draft class seems to be rich in OTs. My only question is, how many of them can play on the left side?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I’d rather have Tyron smith for 13 games playing at an all pro level, then have to replace 2 offensive lineman in the same year for a team that’s supposedly competing for a championship. That’s my preference. I also think it’s ridiculous to move Tyler smith now after he has played so damn good at his position.

Jpj is going to be gone. Regardless saying Tyron is only a back up is silly
I agree and that is probably the question I would ask myself is can we depend on Tyron for 13ish games. If so it's a no brainer to bring him back on a cheaper deal as hes still a top 15 T in this league when in the game. I'd rather put up with him missing a hand full of games than move my star G out to T who has penalty issues, and then still have to replace two interior OL positions while sitting out free agency. This OL is starting to remind me of 2020. Not that great to start with and one injury may put it as the worst in football.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And if he hit the incentives for $20m (he won’t) then it would be way past worth the money because it means he was always on the field and likely had an amazing year
Ah. Thanks.
I hadn't seen the 13.5 in incentives. Wish I could fix the initial post.

Anyone knows what those incentives are? I would assume straight up gameday roster bonuses. Maybe around 750k per game, plus 500k roster bonus? 800K per game?

If so, I can see us *not* matching it.

It's more like at least 14.5mil LTBI, which is about what I thought he would go for. I hope he makes his 20mil.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems the old man has given up on this team.
More changes are on their way so buckle up..............
The old man is doing what many around here wanted him to do, blow it up. Now that he's doing it, many of those same fans are upset that he is.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Ah.
I hadn't seen the 13.5 in incentives. Wish I could fix the initial post.

Anyone knows what those incentives are? I would assume straight up gameday roster bonuses. Maybe around 750k per game, plus 500k roster bonus? 800K per game?

If so, I can see us *not* matching it.

It's more like at least 14.5mil LTBI, which is about what I thought he would go for. I hope he makes his 20mil.
Not sure of full incentives but do think it’s games played heavy

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Tyron made 2nd Team All Pro and went to the Jets for a 1year 6.5mil contract.

He only missed one game in the 2nd half of the season, and played the last 3 games. He's not injured and is playing great.

We've spent almost that much for backup swing Ts in the past. As a percentage of cap, we might have spent more.

We stuck with Tyron coming off inferior play and more injuries for much more money than 6.5mil.

Something has changed. I would have expected them to jump at that price.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/tyron-smith-7724/
Yep, if we had any serious semblance of competing in 2024. You're right, we are: soft tanking, resetting the CAP, whatever we want to call it (or the thinking behind it)....but you're spot on, this isn't our usual MO.
Even with incentives, we are still looking and evaluating a veteran on value.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yep, if we had any serious semblance of competing in 2024. You're right, we are: soft tanking, resetting the CAP, whatever we want to call it (or the thinking behind it)....but you're spot on, this isn't our usual MO.
It's certainly not "all in".

On Dak's side too. I'd think Dak would be more motivated to keep Tyron around to protect his backside. That both sides could see Tyron heading for the door and let it happen hints that neither is very interested in a deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not sure of full incentives but do think it’s games played heavy
I would assume as such.
I thought we had done much the same last year. 6mil salary, 3 mil bonus earned, I assume in gameday checks.

Pretty fair contract from the Jets. A little more than I thought he'd get. Much like for us last year but with a lot more money in incentives. I expected him to get a significant raise this year after playing so well and ending the season healthy.

Thought maybe we could sign him for 14mil, with half in gameday checks. Kind of a lowball, but not so bad.

13.5mil in incentives is more than I expected him to get.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I know he struggled a little in pass protection but Tyler Smith played well at LT his rookie year. In stupid redrafts that are done ever year by the so called draft experts he was the 1st tackle off the board. I understand the idea last year was to get your best 5 lineman on the field but was the line that much better last year compared to 2022, definitely not run blocking. All the insiders said the coaching staff should keep him at LT last year and have Tyron play LT. We drafted Tyler to be the future LT, the plan should be to play him there.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I’d rather have Tyron smith for 13 games playing at an all pro level, then have to replace 2 offensive lineman in the same year for a team that’s supposedly competing for a championship. That’s my preference. I also think it’s ridiculous to move Tyler smith now after he has played so damn good at his position.

Jpj is going to be gone. Regardless saying Tyron is only a back up is silly
This team isn't competing for a Championship this year, has more holes that swiss cheese. (need a DT, 2 LB' CB, S, Center, RB,C, OT) .... Tyron prior to last year played 17 total games in three years, he was never going to stay healthy anymore, at his age here or won't be staying healthy in new York...The guy suffers an injury from sleeping!

What evidence is there that Powers Johnson won't be there in a heavy, QB, Tackle and receiver draft??

Tyler played so well in his rookie season for the often injured Tyron again that when Tyron was finally healthy, he played right tackle instead for Steele injury.......so this notion that its silly not to move Tyler back to tackle when it's easier to find a guard than a tackle is pretty silly! So you'd rather draft two offensive linemen(tackle and a center) to fill holes on the Oline instead of just one, that seems silly to me!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh should have been shown the door 3 years ago. Just another over rated "superstar" that never helps accomplish anything except a pathetic end of the year beat down.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
This team isn't competing for a Championship this year, has more holes that swiss cheese. (need a DT, 2 LB' CB, S, Center, RB,C, OT) .... Tyron prior to last year played 17 total games in three years, he was never going to stay healthy anymore, at his age here or won't be staying healthy in new York...The guy suffers an injury from sleeping!

What evidence is there that Powers Johnson won't be there in a heavy, QB, Tackle and receiver draft??

Tyler played so well in his rookie season for the often injured Tyron again that when Tyron was finally healthy, he played right tackle instead for Steele injury.......so this notion that its silly not to move Tyler back to tackle when it's easier to find a guard than a tackle is pretty silly! So you'd rather draft two offensive linemen(tackle and a center) to fill holes on the Oline instead of just one, that seems silly to me!
The team has more holes than Swiss cheese now….it didn’t before free agency. That was a decision by the front office to not create cap space. It had some positions of need that could have been filled with moderate (not egregious) spending in free agency which would allowed them to have way more flexibility in the draft- particularly signing a linebacker and a serviceable upgrade at D tackle.

in terms of jpj being gone and what evidence do I have? The same evidence you have that he’ll be there. I don’t think he gets past Pitt who desperately needs a center. And no I wouldn’t rather “draft” two offensive lineman because I would have brought Tyron back.

Tyler has a been a stud where he’s been for 2 years straight. We know what we are getting. He’s much better at this position, the cowboys need to stop moving him around and let him excel. We’ve seen Them ruin guys bouncing them around. You calling Tyron a back up is factually proven wrong by the fact that another nfl team just paid him to be a starter.