Tyron is gone - LT is the pick at 24

stinkface

Reaction score
I think you’re right…I just handcuffing ourselves like that.

We’re either asking Tyler to move after an all pro year or forcing a need pick.
Lots easier to find a LG then a LT. Move Tyler and find a LG either in the draft or free Agency. That way you don't have to force a LT pick. Seems like a no brainer.

rambo2

Reaction score
Bc that would be the most Cowboys thing ever.
It's a huge decision. It could be a tackle, center, receiver, dtackle, or even linebacker. They could even trade back and get an extra player. Whoever it is, they better hit on a good player. We will hear arguments here not matter what they do. I do know that they can get a very good player at 24 because the receiver group is so good and 4 or 5 qbs will go before 24. Mitchell, Thomas, Franklin, and Coleman might be available at 24. I think that at least 3 of them will be available.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That’s the thread…Cowboys will force LT in round 1 guaranteed.
If the news about him not returning is legitimate, totally agree taking a 1st rd Tackle is a lock this yr. Great yr to need one and we should have options at the position. Actually am glad that the team is moving on, time to get younger, more durable and athletic. Yes, many can make the argument that they can either draft a Tackle or a Guard, but why move Tyler now if he is an all-pro at the position? A decision on Martin has to come sooner rather then later as well.

rambo2

Reaction score
If the news about him not returning is legitimate, totally agree taking a 1st rd Tackle is a lock this yr. Great yr to need one and we should have options at the position. Actually am glad that the team is moving on, time to get younger, more durable and athletic. Yes, many can make the argument that they can either draft a Tackle or a Guard, but why move Tyler now if he is an all-pro at the position? A decision on Martin has to come sooner rather then later as well.
I could see them moving Tyler Smith to tackle and drafting Adonai Mitchell.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t address needs in FA and have to take a T and C in the first 2 rounds.
This^^^^^^ It would not surprise me if 24 is used on CB. The position has always been a priority in his D. Lots of speed DBs in this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lots easier to find a LG than a LT. Move Tyler and find a LG either in the draft or free Agency. That way you don't have to force a LT pick. Seems like a no brainer.
It’s the easiest path but the problem
here is you’re moving an all pro assuming he’ll be as good outside. He was below average as a rookie at LT and I’m sure he’s improved but strong chance he’s not as good as Tyron was.

stinkface

Reaction score
It’s the easiest path but the problem
here is you’re moving an all pro assuming he’ll be as good outside. He was below average as a rookie at LT and I’m sure he’s improved but strong chance he’s not as good as Tyron was.
He was drafted to move to Tackle when Tyron was gone. That time is now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Always respect your draft takes…I hate the position we have out ourselves in but the only saving grace is it’s a loaded OT class and there’s a good chance OT is still BPA at 24. Question is will that player be good enough at LT as a rookie in year 1? If we aren’t extending Dak it appears we have 1 year to make a run.

100% agree on leaving Tyler at LG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Twinkle Toes from Washington and Barton from Duke.
Love Barton. Everything I’ve heard says he’s kicking inside but I think Fautanu is good enough to stay outside.

Barton would be a good C option. Actually like him more than JPJ due to the athleticism.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Always respect your draft takes…I hate the position we have out ourselves in but the only saving grace is it’s a loaded OT class and there’s a good chance OT is still BPA at 24. Question is will that player be good enough at LT as a rookie in year 1? If we aren’t extending Dak it appears we have 1 year to make a run.

100% agree on leaving Tyler at LG.
With rumblings about the team not meeting with many agents and discussing the need not to extend Dak’s contract, think they are going to have an extremely tight budget to work with.

Now the positives are: good tackle class and the team has an excellent track record of finding plug and play starters along the OL with their 1st rd picks

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I feel like we’d be starting 2 rookies on an OL for a team that was a contender last year and we’re going backwards.

You’re also assuming Tyler will be as good at LT as he was at LG which I’m not sure he will be. He struggled at LT as a rook and led the league in penalties.

For a team that is “all in” this would be a horrific approach IMO.
Agreed, and if they moved Tyler then they'd really have to draft a LG, there's no Pro Bowl guard on the team other than Tyler.
Which means you'd have two new position players on the line, 40% of your o-line.

Whether you want to or not, you'll have to draft or trade for a LT this year.

But it's sad, as Michael Irvin said when Emmitt wasn't retained and left for Arizona: "Shouldn't have happened".

For a player who gave as much, and played as well, as Smith he should be retained, whatever the cost. Hell, the Cowboys have no great playoff success during Smith's storied career, Jerry at least show you care for your loyal players, it's all you have....

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agreed, and if they moved Tyler then they'd really have to draft a LG, there's no Pro Bowl guard on the team other than Tyler.
Which means you'd have two new position players on the line, 40% of your o-line.

Whether you want to or not, you'll have to draft or trade for a LT this year.

But it's sad, as Michael Irvin said when Emmitt wasn't retained and left for Arizona: "Shouldn't have happened".

For a player who gave as much, and played as well, as Smith he should be retained, whatever the cost. Hell, the Cowboys have no great playoff success during Smith's storied career, Jerry at least show you care for your loyal players, it's all you have....
You don’t need all 1st round picks on the OL though…maybe they feel good about Bass. Who knows.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Very little that comes out of Jerry’s mouth is true. I don’t listen to anything he says. But I watch what he does. If he shocks me and basically just lets Dak play this year out and become a FA, then maybe the following year becomes a rebuild. If that’s the case take. a guy that might develop in to really good LT. IMO Guyton has that potential.