Twitter: Tyron Smith likely out for Sunday

blueblood70

Reaction score
ITs collins for sure..not sure why else he wouldn't practice all week as LT1 and do it.. TY is jag decent plug but no way you dont give the snaps to LC

quickccc

Reaction score
Seems like the obvious answer. La'el has never worked at LT as a pro and coaches don't like to move a guy to a new spot without any previous reps. Nsekhe is obviously the least attractive solution.

Maybe they don't with the average guy.
Yet they (coaches) did so when they moved Zack Martin to RT, who had no previous OT reps, but practiced there in one week and started at RT,
when he filled in for a benched a healthy Terrence Steele last year in 2020.

- The LT position is not totally brand new to Collins, and he is flat out far more talented than Ty Nseke.
And whether starter or not, it would still be in our best interest in beginning to train-prepare Collins at LT, .in the event of injury.

- If Nseke starts at LT and is injured.. who then becomes the emergency backup ? ... Collins with no reps or preparation at LT ?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Collins starts at LT this week and will replace Connor Williams at LG when Tyron returns. He is too good of a player to be on our bench. Ty remains the backup, swing tackle.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not surprised. Let him rest and plug Collins in.

That's why i am vastly trying to search for practice notes, ..to see who is getting the snaps per LT this week.
Who is getting the most snaps this week at LT.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe they don't with the average guy.
Yet they (coaches) did so when they moved Zack Martin to RT, who had no previous OT reps, but practiced there in one week and started at RT,
when he filled in for a benched a healthy Terrence Steele last year in 2020.

- The LT position is not totally brand new to Collins, and he is flat out far more talented than Ty Nseke.
And whether starter or not, it would still be in our best interest in beginning to train-prepare Collins at LT, .in the event of injury.

- If Nseke starts at LT and is injured.. who then becomes the emergency backup ? ... Collins with no reps or preparation at LT ?
truth !!

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Collins starts at LT this week and will replace Connor Williams at LG when Tyron returns. He is too good of a player to be on our bench. Ty remains the backup, swing tackle.

it will be interested to see how OL coach Joe Philibin works it out.

- But i would find it curious to try to re-learn Collins to play zone blocking at OG, during the season and expect him to start immediately right away at that LG spot replacing Williams.
It's not just one on one, but it's also stunts, twists, game trenches and various blitzes that have to be accounted for.

- Also again, where and what does that say about Connor McGovern, who was supposed to be the heir apparent LG when Williams may be expected to depart in FA ?

Creeper

Reaction score
Bone spurs don't go away without surgery. However, they could continue to grow depending on what caused them to grow in the first place. He could also develop new ones.

So if he is out because of bone spurs this week, then why would he be available the next week or the week after that?

Also, for those calling for surgery there may be a good reason they want to avoid surgery in the middle of the season. Depending on a number of factors surgery may mean end of season for him. Perhaps this is another situation where they will try to manage it if they can. If he can come back, great. If not they are no worse off than if he had the surgery.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
it will be interested to see how OL coach Joe Philibin works it out.

- But i would find it curious to try to re-learn Collins to play zone blocking at OG, during the season and expect him to start immediately right away at that LG spot replacing Williams.
It's not just one on one, but it's also stunts, twists, game trenches and various blitzes that have to be accounted for.

- Also again, where and what does that say about Connor McGovern, who was supposed to be the heir apparent LG when Williams may be expected to depart in FA ?
Interesting to see this play out in season and in the off-season

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I wonder why they aren’t doing surgery.

By all means rest the guy. Heck give him November off. Just make sure that guy is 100%.
"That guy" should've taken care of this.

Off-season......it seems to me, as of the last few years, it's been "oh yah, I have this shoulder, elbow, knee, neck thing going on.......yet doesn't address the nagging issues. Waits until the season starts.

I think he's been physically breaking down for the last several years.

Dam shame.....he's incredible.

rambo2

Reaction score
Steele plays left tackle and Collins plays right tackle.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Steele plays left tackle and Collins plays right tackle.
Why mess with a young player, keep him where he is and allow the veteran to play the left side which he has in the past.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Yeah I trust Nsekhe 0% against a good front 7, put Collins over there.