Twitter: Tyron Smith out against Giants

fivetwos

Reaction score
I mean that would be nice in an ideal world but that’s going to come down to who’s available where. At the end of the day Tyron is barely 30. If his back and neck injuries are behind him he’s still a 3-4 year starter. Bone spurs and a rolled up ankle are minor injuries that aren’t going to result in moving on from a HOFer.

What happens if you draft a G/T high and he goes his whole rookie contract without ever overtaking the job at LT? Now in terms of needing a starting LG we do need to pick one in the first few rounds. But the need for a starting T is moot as long as Smith isn’t suffering from his neck/back ailment. You’re just not gonna find anyone good enough to replace him if he’s upright.

If Steele or Ball are viable swing tackles then we are just fine.
Fair points and I'm not ready to give up on Tyron...

But you'd have to figure this reasonably high pick can at least start at guard during his four years.

I'm talking a second rounder.....and Wittens presence never stopped then from taking a TE three times during his prime.

Even Martin is getting long in the tooth and the OL is apparently of paramount importance to this QB.

They don't need another Josh Ball. One is fine. We need someone who can start at guard day one and possibly be a tackle eventually, and/or fill in for the inevitable time that Tyron misses.

There's way too much of a drop off when he is out.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Ty Nseskhe's got this.

If not, Steele or Collins are more than capable.

Hardly any drop off whatsoever regardless of who replaces him.

This offense will just keep clicking along.

No worries.

Lol…”this offense will just keep clicking along”…That’s rich: so you like 3 and outs, running in the middle for 2 yards, and missed throws, huh ?

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
This could turn into a week to week thing. If this team plans to make noise in the playoffs, then they are gonna need big #77.

817Gill

Reaction score
Foolish thinking. Yes, it's not his back but it's still an injury and he's still missing games and he's clearly a guy you can't count on for a full 17 games. Now, no, you don't cut him or anything like that, but this offseason should absolutely be used to figure out where we are going with the LT position. If that's Ball, great. If they aren't sure Ball is the guy, yes, using a high pick on a LT would make sense.
You’re a Rashawn Slater guy? Imagine picking him for the future at LT and passing on an immediate impact player. Or him sitting behind Tyron for 12/13 games and operating as a swing. Now he has inside/out versatility but that’s not the norm.

We have guys who can be swing T’s, so drafting a LT high must be with the intention to start him sooner rather than later. If not it’s a wasted pick. Again, the injuries he has suffered this year are not serious therefore they don’t affect his future. Had he still been going through back or neck issues I totally get it. But an ankle sprain isn’t going to spell the end of his career. He’ll be back in a few weeks and as long as he goes into next offseason without any new major injuries he’s the starter going into 2022.

I understand it’s annoying he misses 3/4 games, but I’m not going to draft a guy in round 1 who could theoretically not see the field as the normal starter for his whole rookie contract. You have good swing tackles who can hold it down for a few games, that’s all a high pick will be anyways.

Literally Rashawn Slater is the exact situation you’re referring to. Now as the poster above mentioned getting a guy who’s a G that can become your LT makes sense. But a sole LT pick high makes little sense as he won’t start a majority of the year.

I don’t spend 1st round picks on guys who won’t start for probably 2-3 years. If it’s BPA we can talk but it’s not a 1st round pick priority. In a perfect world you take a G/T to plug in at LG and hope he’s around for the future of the LT position. But other than those situations drafting a LT high makes no sense.

The question I have for you is, are you willing to draft a guy in round 1 who will likely only see 3-4 weeks of starter snaps (assuming he’s purely a T)? Keep in mind other than the neck/back which seems to be behind Ty, his injuries have always been minor and keep him out for 1-3 weeks a season. Because we both know that as long as Tyron goes into next season without a major injury he’s the starter and there’s not going to be an available human being in the world better than him at LT, he’s been great this year.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
I thought the previous injury was bone spurs

It is but if you sprain the ankle or have increased inflammation the things rubbing on the bone spur rub on the bone spur more. McG did a King Kong Bundy splash on his ankle.

817Gill

Reaction score
Fair points and I'm not ready to give up on Tyron...

But you'd have to figure this reasonably high pick can at least start at guard during his four years.

I'm talking a second rounder.....and Wittens presence never stopped then from taking a TE three times during his prime.

Even Martin is getting long in the tooth and the OL is apparently of paramount importance to this QB.

They don't need another Josh Ball. One is fine. We need someone who can start at guard day one and possibly be a tackle eventually, and/or fill in for the inevitable time that Tyron misses.

There's way too much of a drop off when he is out.
Oh yeah, again drafting a G with T ability high is fine by me, but first and foremost he’s gotta be able to play guard. Don’t want a T who we force at G (C. Will) for the sole purpose of getting him on the field.

An interior lineman is definitely a need in the first few rounds, but let’s not try to make him a Tyron replacement before making sure he’s an upgrade at G.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I get it that it's just a random injury and not tied to his back concerns he's had for years, but at this point, Smith is an injury risk. You cannot count on him anymore to play a full season or be ready to play in our biggest games. Only a foolish, all too loyal Jerry Jones would do something stupid like that.

This team would be wise to use this offseason to address the LT position and look to the future.

Look around the league, a LOT of OL don't make it a full year, lots big bodies being moved around in close quarters, things like this happen. He is no more of an injury risk than anyone you would draft to replace him - unless they have some magical type legs to don't get rolled up on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
From the be careful for what you wish for file....

McGovern tripped him.

Biadasz tripped Prescott earlier in the game as well.

That OL is a complete mess right now. Everything from tripping on each others feet to ejections.

Edit....make that stepped on him and fell on him while Smith was engaged with a rusher. Lucky it wasnt worse.
very common for centers to step on the qbs foot if the qb doesn't get out quick enough happened at least 3 games this weekend that i know if..has nothing to do with being out of sync and its mess in the trenches already people always getting ran into and stepped on..it happens..

him being hurt again is an issue..hope he back for the playoff run, him zeke and few others need rest last few games of the year..