Twitter: Tyron Smith out against Giants

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
I thought the previous injury was bone spurs
Bone spurs already, ? he's going to be hurting when he's 60. I just got an x-ray of my lower spine and it wasn't pretty : spurs at all Lumbra levels.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Did everyone calling Tyron glass and a problem NOT see the replay of his ankle get rolled up on? Or did you see it and you think he should just Zeke it?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Foolish thinking. Yes, it's not his back but it's still an injury and he's still missing games and he's clearly a guy you can't count on for a full 17 games. Now, no, you don't cut him or anything like that, but this offseason should absolutely be used to figure out where we are going with the LT position. If that's Ball, great. If they aren't sure Ball is the guy, yes, using a high pick on a LT would make sense.

Upgrade your swing then. I'll take Smith for 14 games over some mediocre tackle for 17.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Need to get his replacement but honestly just had has bad luck. Mcgovern big arse fell right on his ankle

fivetwos

Reaction score
very common for centers to step on the qbs foot if the qb doesn't get out quick enough happened at least 3 games this weekend that i know if..has nothing to do with being out of sync and its mess in the trenches already people always getting ran into and stepped on..it happens..

him being hurt again is an issue..hope he back for the playoff run, him zeke and few others need rest last few games of the year..
They need to go back to the unit that worked best.....regardless of your draft status, salary...whatever.

Of course it's at least a week without that now.

I have a feeling thats Dak problem....he is so worried about getting hurt and doesn't trust the OL fully.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
..let the guy rest and heal. His presence is huge later in season. Next man up.

I think the same goes for Wilson. He's having a good year. I didn't see him coming with the other guys on our roster. But here he is.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well, the Giants will be without DT Leonard Williams and probably WR Toney. And their starting QB Danny Dimes might not play.

Just go ahead and give Tyron Smith the rest of the regular season off. Might as well. Sean Lee Part Deux.

Sydla

Reaction score
You’re a Rashawn Slater guy? Imagine picking him for the future at LT and passing on an immediate impact player. Or him sitting behind Tyron for 12/13 games and operating as a swing. Now he has inside/out versatility but that’s not the norm.

We have guys who can be swing T’s, so drafting a LT high must be with the intention to start him sooner rather than later. If not it’s a wasted pick. Again, the injuries he has suffered this year are not serious therefore they don’t affect his future. Had he still been going through back or neck issues I totally get it. But an ankle sprain isn’t going to spell the end of his career. He’ll be back in a few weeks and as long as he goes into next offseason without any new major injuries he’s the starter going into 2022.

I understand it’s annoying he misses 3/4 games, but I’m not going to draft a guy in round 1 who could theoretically not see the field as the normal starter for his whole rookie contract. You have good swing tackles who can hold it down for a few games, that’s all a high pick will be anyways.

Literally Rashawn Slater is the exact situation you’re referring to. Now as the poster above mentioned getting a guy who’s a G that can become your LT makes sense. But a sole LT pick high makes little sense as he won’t start a majority of the year.

I don’t spend 1st round picks on guys who won’t start for probably 2-3 years. If it’s BPA we can talk but it’s not a 1st round pick priority. In a perfect world you take a G/T to plug in at LG and hope he’s around for the future of the LT position. But other than those situations drafting a LT high makes no sense.

The question I have for you is, are you willing to draft a guy in round 1 who will likely only see 3-4 weeks of starter snaps (assuming he’s purely a T)? Keep in mind other than the neck/back which seems to be behind Ty, his injuries have always been minor and keep him out for 1-3 weeks a season. Because we both know that as long as Tyron goes into next season without a major injury he’s the starter and there’s not going to be an available human being in the world better than him at LT, he’s been great this year.

Timing was different then compared to now. Smith had his surgery so you were hoping on him being fully healthy for 2021. He's again hurt, granted not the back, so it would be quite smart to start thinking about succession at LT. It's too important a position to just worry about when you develop a hole there. You just invested in Dak, you shouldn't waste his prime years trying to find a LT if Smith continues to battle injuries.

Now note, I am not suggesting you draft for need in the first round or two or three. But if you are sitting there and a stud LT is there, it wouldn't be the worst decision to take one. Maybe they already have that guy in Ball. But fact is, you have to start thinking about what you are going to do post-Smith at LT. It's foolish to expect him to go out and play 16-17 regular season games and also be healthy for the entire playoffs when he hasn't finished a full season in 6 seasons.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Upgrade your swing then. I'll take Smith for 14 games over some mediocre tackle for 17.

Why does the guy you target to eventually replace Smith have to be "mediocre"? Maybe you draft another Smith type?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Why does the guy you target to eventually replace Smith have to be "mediocre"? Maybe you draft another Smith type?

I'm mean sure, if you have a top 5 pick and get lucky. HOF tackles aren't exactly an easy find.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Left Tackle has gotta be one of the most brutal positions in football. The wear and tear is legit. However, Tyron Smith is by far and away the MVP of this season. When he plays, we look good and he gives Dak tons of additional time. When he doesn't they look awful. Replacing a dominate LT and saying "move on", really doesn't make sense to me. I get everyone complaining about consistency, etc, etc. However, every team in the NFL deals with tons of injuries week and week out. It's what the sport is.

With that said. Tyron Smith is an amazing generational talent and team leader. Dallas needs to win one game without him. Rest him till the playoffs. Have a healthy Tyron Smith to start playoffs and life is good!