Twitter: Tyron Smith Possibly to Move On From Cowboys?

Sydla

Reaction score
So Bobby Belt posted the below Tweet last week, and at the time, I didn't think much of it. Thought it was 100 percent speculation that this team would ever be looking into moving on from #77. But he doubled down on it last week, citing the team's frustration with his recent injury history and the fact that they can free up 10M more dollars of cap space to presumably sign their QB or add some cogs on defense. Still thought he was crazy.

But, as I was listening to a Jeff Cavanaugh live stream yesterday, he dropped a nugget I haven't heard before. Apparently, Tyron Smith is completely at odds right now with Cowboys medical personnel and has been for years. They don't get along, which is why most of the work done on him is done elsewhere.

I don't see an heir apparent on this roster, but if this is what the Joneses are thinking, who starts at LT?

I believe there is some validity to the part about friction between Smith and the medical staff. Whether that means the Cowboys are now ready to move on from him, I can't say. But Smith has always been against back surgery thinking exercise and medicine would work. There have long been some whispers that the med staff thought he made a big mistake and if he had initially got the surgery, he'd likely not have the issues he still finds himself having with his back.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We have no idea what his health status is so pretending we do is criminally stupid.
He only made it to 2 games this year and doesn't cooperate with the team Docs.

Would you? I wouldn't. Team docs represent the team first, not saying they'd do anything to intentionally hurt Smith, but they'll look to maximize his value to the team first...

phildadon86

Reaction score
There's some buzz that Tyron might retire/walk away from football.

I can't see the Cowboys simply releasing him.
I dont see either happening. Why would we release him when the contract is good? And why wait to announce retirement until months after a surgery hes recovering well from? This is some guy spewing his opinion, and as usual this board making it into "Fact"

Tussinman

Reaction score
Feel a little bad for him because he delayed the surgery (or was given misleading medical advice) because he along with the franchise legitimately thought that 2017-2019 was there window to win.

What's funny is fans whine that he didn't get the surgery earlier but if he had gotten the surgery earlier and missed the season then those same fans would of screamed "why is he taking an elective surgery during our window to win ?" or "ohh back in my day players would just play through the pain, this generation is soft"

J-man

Reaction score
I'd say it would be absolutely crazy to just release him. He is a top tier LT when healthy and still fairly young for the position. Thinking about a future replacement isn't a bad idea, but I would create the whole on purpose.

If he suddenly retired, we would in a tough spot and maybe forced to draft his replacement early. However, we would be in a good spot to draft a replacement this year. Slater, Leatherwood and Darrisaw may all be available at 10.

If they do want to move on, the should absolutely look to trade him. I think they can easily get a 3rd. And then they are most certainly looking at an early pick.

If they have to move the O-line around I would let Collins, Martin and Williams battle for the OT spots. The loser of the comp plays at OG.
McGovern is capable to man the other OG spot. Biadasz should step into the starting role at C. They should definitely look to keep Fleming and Looney another year as well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Would you? I wouldn't. Team docs represent the team first, not saying they'd do anything to intentionally hurt Smith, but they'll look to maximize his value to the team first...
I have zero data here to judge anyone.
I definitely respct players abilities to get 2nd opinions.

Tyron has been out and out special for this team but he has made 87M.
There is zero reason were I his doctor I'd advise any health risk.

But Dallas might be a title contender next year and were I the player I might risk it and want to chase that here or with say the Chiefs on a 5m 1 year deal.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd say it would be absolutely crazy to just release him. He is a top tier LT when healthy and still fairly young for the position. Thinking about a future replacement isn't a bad idea, but I would create the whole on purpose.

If he suddenly retired, we would in a tough spot and maybe forced to draft his replacement early. However, we would be in a good spot to draft a replacement this year. Slater, Leatherwood and Darrisaw may all be available at 10.

If they do want to move on, the should absolutely look to trade him. I think they can easily get a 3rd. And then they are most certainly looking at an early pick.

If they have to move the O-line around I would let Collins, Martin and Williams battle for the OT spots. The loser of the comp plays at OG.
McGovern is capable to man the other OG spot. Biadasz should step into the starting role at C. They should definitely look to keep Fleming and Looney another year as well.

If Dallas moves on from T. Smith, or he retires or can't play, Williams was a tackle mostly in college, inside he needs mores strength to deal with DTs, at tackle it's more footwork and dealing with lighter DEs, so he goes to LT.

Looney to guard, where he played mostly in college. Biadasdz at center, Martin remains at RG and Collins remains at RT.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Players in general have an inherent mistrust with team Physicians. It's age old and will never change.

It looks like the Cowboys would save $6M in 2021 by cutting TS loose and his subsequent salaries to 2021 are $15M and $15M. They save about $10M in 2022 by letting him go at that point in time.

It makes sense to keep him for 2021 because you won't find his replacement for $6M and he is a beast when he is healthy.

J-man

Reaction score
If Dallas moves on from T. Smith, or he retires or can't play, Williams was a tackle mostly in college, inside he needs mores strength to deal with DTs, at tackle it's more footwork and dealing with lighter DEs, so he goes to LT.

Looney to guard, where he played mostly in college. Biadasdz at center, Martin remains at RG and Collins remains at RT.

I'd agree with this assessment, but I'd let them fight it to prove what we think.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There will be a lot of this kind of stuff this offseason. 1st they need to finalize the cap number. Teams near or over the cap may be having to make this decision and maybe that drives down the market rate.

JMPearson

Reaction score
So Bobby Belt posted the below Tweet last week, and at the time, I didn't think much of it. Thought it was 100 percent speculation that this team would ever be looking into moving on from #77. But he doubled down on it last week, citing the team's frustration with his recent injury history and the fact that they can free up 10M more dollars of cap space to presumably sign their QB or add some cogs on defense. Still thought he was crazy.

But, as I was listening to a Jeff Cavanaugh live stream yesterday, he dropped a nugget I haven't heard before. Apparently, Tyron Smith is completely at odds right now with Cowboys medical personnel and has been for years. They don't get along, which is why most of the work done on him is done elsewhere.

I don't see an heir apparent on this roster, but if this is what the Joneses are thinking, who starts at LT?

resign the worse player in the bunch awesome

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
First off, I don't see cutting Tyron as a possibility yet. Maybe they can convince him to restructure his contract.

But if I'm wrong and he does go, I wonder if the Cowboys shift either La'el Collins or Zack Martin to left tackle (both played there in college) ?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why do our fans post things like this as fact when its literally some random Twitter guys opinion? How did this get to 9 pages? lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

martin does. Williams and McGovern are the guards.