Tyron Smith Pro Day

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3893501 said:
What do people think workout warriors are always hype?

I'd rather he had a dominating college career and a lousy workout.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
bbgun;3893511 said:
I'd rather he had a dominating college career and a lousy workout.

I like his tape just fine. Good blocker IMO.

Think he still needs a touch more strength and some technique work to reach his potential though.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;3893422 said:
Don Banks (SI.com) mocks Tyron Smith to Dallas, and he states that Detroit would jump all over him at 13. Pouncy, Watkins, Sherrod, and Ijalana go in round 1. This would make my other favorite, Stefan Wisniewski a prime target at pick 40. I'd love this to play out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/?eref=sinav

You can go ahead and add Detroit to these teams who probably have Smith as their number 1 rated OT:

Cleveland
Dallas
Washington
Houston
Minnesota
Detroit
New York Giants
Philadelphia

I bet all these teams have Smith rated number 1 at the position. 7 of the 8 teams need an OT for sure.

I got these teams possibly might be interested

12 Vikes
13 Det
17 NE
19 NYG
21 KC
22 Indy
23 Philly
26 Ravens
29 Bears
31 Pitts

so just take him at 9 don't get to cute

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I dont see how moving down to 12 and getting an extra 4th is going to make you feel better.

one reason is were missing out on Deunta Williams or John Moffitt

but I am fine with that just go ahead and get the guy you want at 9

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3893530 said:
I dont see how moving down to 12 and getting an extra 4th is going to make you feel better.

one reason is were missing out on Deunta Williams or John Moffitt

but I am fine with that just go ahead and get the guy you want at 9

[B/][I/][U/][/COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"/][SIZE="1"/][COLOR="DarkOrange"/][B/][I/][U/][/U][/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]tacos[//U][/I][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE]yea but hitting the 1st round pick is way more important and they need to hit on it. you have to love the guy.
[B/][I/][U/][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][SIZE="1"/]tacos[COLOR="DarkOrange"/][/COLOR/][/SIZE/][//COLOR][/SIZE][//COLOR]

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3893556 said:
[B/][I/][U/][/COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"/][SIZE="1"/][COLOR="DarkOrange"/][B/][I/][U/][/u][/i][/b][/color][/size][/color]tacos[//u][/i][/b][/FONT][/FONT][/quote]yea but hitting the 1st round pick is way more important and they need to hit on it. you have to love the guy.
[B/][I/][U/][color="DarkOliveGreen"][SIZE="1"/]tacos[COLOR="DarkOrange"/][/COLOR/][/SIZE/][//color][/size][//color]

very nice:bang2::laugh1:

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score

one more time - we will probable miss out on D Williams or Moffitt

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Woods;3893253 said:
I would probably take him at 9, depending on what offers I got to trade down (maybe it was something absolutely tremendous). And I hope we do draft Smith.

BUT, from the Cowboys perspective, they MAY be thinking that if they can trade down a few spots and land either Smith, Carimi, C Jordan, or Watt plus get an extra 2nd or 3rd, they can then trade up with their 2nd rounder and get yet another blue chip talent - either an OL, CB, or DL.

That way, the Cowboys could end up with 2 top 25 players out of one draft - guys who could start perhaps from Day 1. That's like having 2 first rounders.

I'm just throwing this scenario out there.

I guess it depends where they have Smith rated vs. Carimi, Sherrod, etc. and also versus Jordan and Watt and how enticing the offer is to trade down.

I like this ok. I'd trade down and get Watt then trade back up into the first and get an OT.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3893523 said:
I got these teams possibly might be interested

12 Vikes
13 Det
17 NE
19 NYG
21 KC
22 Indy
23 Philly
26 Ravens
29 Bears
31 Pitts

so just take him at 9 don't get to cute

I agree if you want him you have to get him at 9 IF he isn't already gone which is a possibility

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3893475 said:
fail_01.jpg

:laugh2:

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Zaxor;3893628 said:
I agree if you want him you have to get him at 9 IF he isn't already gone which is a possibility

Bunting has been saying he goes in the 9-13 range. He probably doesn't go higher than 9 as Dallas is helped by the fact that he hasn't played LT. But I agree, you need to get him at 9 if he is your guy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SDogo;3893078 said:
http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/13682485

Southern Cal tackle Tyron Smith took a step towards the top of the draft Thursday at the Trojan's pro day. With every NFL team represented, the 20 year-old Smith timed a 4.91 40 while weighing in at 310 pounds. Despite his ridiculously long 36 3/8" arms, today Smith also increased his bench mark from 29 to 31 reps.

I'm sold and I take him at #9. No way I would trade up to #6 just to draft a super talented idiot in Peterson.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hostile;3893243 said:
Hat trick.

Wouldn't that be doing all three?

Side note, I love how he's getting no credit for his play. Like he's so terrible that there's no way his play would warrant consideration at all.

Almost like he's Bruce Campbell V2.0

burmafrd

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3893519 said:
I like his tape just fine. Good blocker IMO.

Think he still needs a touch more strength and some technique work to reach his potential though.

Remeber that all the tape you have seen was when he was at 280 or so. So he is much stronger now as you could see in the pictures of him. And improving his BP from 29 to 31 in only a month is not bad either.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3893501 said:
What do people think workout warriors are always hype?

Because no one bothers to talk about their play, they just fall in love with what the guy looks like with his shirt off and how big his hands are.

Hype doesn't always mean a player is bad, but Smiths play does not match TE hype if people are expecting Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady, they are I'm for a rude awakening.

Woods

Reaction score
burmafrd;3893703 said:
Remeber that all the tape you have seen was when he was at 280 or so. So he is much stronger now as you could see in the pictures of him. And improving his BP from 29 to 31 in only a month is not bad either.

As a general question, I really wonder that if a player could bench 225, say 33 times, versus another player who benches 225 40 times, does it necessarily even matter that much once he's already that strong?

I understand that a player who is "only" lifting 225 lbs 12 times can clearly be outmuscled by a guy benching 225 30 times, since 12 reps isn't sufficient to be a profootball player (by that I mean the implied upperbody strength that correlates to 12 reps). But once you're already benching 30+ reps aren't the additional reps very marginal in terms of upper body strength?

Woods

Reaction score
TheCount;3893723 said:
Because no one bothers to talk about their play, they just fall in love with what the guy looks like with his shirt off and how big his hands are.

Hype doesn't always mean a player is bad, but Smiths play does not match TE hype if people are expecting Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady, they are I'm for a rude awakening.

As an honest question from me (and I know you're not keen on Smith early on in the Draft), do you not think that as he won the award as the Pac 10 top OL last season an indication that he has ability to be a quality OT? Or that his tape must be at least "pretty good" to be voted as the top OL in the Pac 10?

slotshot

Reaction score
Quick question...

I am starting to get on the Smith bandwagon as well. In that he has played RT during his time at USC, how freaking good was Matt Kalil at LT??? This guy must have been all things to all people! Ryan's brother right?

Please forgive my obvious ignorance of USC and college football in general.

Thanks!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Woods;3893733 said:
As an honest question from me (and I know you're not keen on Smith early on in the Draft), do you not think that as he won the award as the Pac 10 top OL last season an indication that he has ability to be a quality OT? Or that his tape must be at least "pretty good" to be voted as the top OL in the Pac 10?

I have not, at any point, said Smith might not turn out to be a good player. I think he's a good prospect, but he needs a lot more work than some people seem to want to admit.

People say don't get cute with the #9 pick, take Tyron. But what's cuter than taking an "athlete with potential" instead of a football player?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
slotshot;3893802 said:
Quick question...

I am starting to get on the Smith bandwagon as well. In that he has played RT during his time at USC, how freaking good was Matt Kalil at LT??? This guy must have been all things to all people! Ryan's brother right?

Please forgive my obvious ignorance of USC and college football in general.

Thanks!

I believe Kalil played LT due to being more polished technique wise and Smith was still developing physically. Smith still needs another year to develop both physically and technique wise. Although, he is showing that physically he is just about there. (weighing in a 310lbs at the pro day)

I think the kid can play RT this year. He will have to work extremely hard and I'm sure it won't be flawless, but once he is a fully matured NFL tackle; I think he can be a pro bowl tackle. Better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. (whom also took some time to develop into a great tackle)