Tyron Smith Pro Day

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
fortdick;3894531 said:
Did any of those guyus ever play a new position?

IDK. Saffold might have.

Tyron Smith played RT in college though and he would probably start off there. They would make a switch in year 2 or 3 if they think he can be an All-Pro LT and shows it in TC and pre-season

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3894540 said:
IDK. Saffold might have.

Tyron Smith played RT in college though and he would probably start off there. They would make a switch in year 2 or 3 if they think he can be an All-Pro LT and shows it in TC and pre-season

No way do I see Smith playing RT and starting in year 1.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3894570 said:
No way do I see Smith playing RT and starting in year 1.

:confused:

If he's picked at 9, he's starting. And not just because he was picked at 9, but because he'd be a vast upgrade over Colombo.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
fortdick;3894041 said:
Gabe Carimi won the Outland Trophy as the best lineman IN THE NATION!

If that means anything to you.

Well, FYI the Pac 10 isn't a part of the nation..........so..........

Hoofbite

Reaction score
dbair1967;3894678 said:
:confused:

If he's picked at 9, he's starting. And not just because he was picked at 9, but because he'd be a vast upgrade over Colombo.

So would any number of players in the draft.

Hell, Rob Petitti might be an upgrade.

The bar isn't set too high. Colombo is DONE and might as well be dead weight at this point.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick;3894508 said:
Seriously, if he had to start next year, I would trust carimin over Smith all day! Now, three years from now, maybe not, but next year, certainly.

Remember, Smith has not played Left Tackle. You expect him to walk in and everyone to just give up? Good pass rushers will beat him like all day.

no I expect him to day one starter at RT

in the next couple of years then he an Free can fight it out in camp

Doug Free played well at ROT last year in Columbo's absence and with the top LOT still on the board, why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable?????????????????

Sure makes game-day decisions of whittling down 53 to 45 easier, in the case of deciding on back-up OL in the case of injuries. This is a case where value equals need and is a fine pick by Dallas

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Absolutely Smith will be starting Day 1 if he's taken #9. He played in a Pro Style offense in college under and offensive line coach who was a former NFL offensive line coach. If Ryan Clady can go to the Pro Bowl in Year 1 and win OROY, Tyron Smith can at least start since they're really not that different coming out of college. If Roger Stafford can start as a rookie, so can Smith.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Goose came out with his positional rankings tonight. Let's just say that if you believe Goose is plugged into NFL front offices, the Cowboys aren't the only ones who think Smith is the best OT in the draft. Let's just also say Carimi is way more popular with messageboard posters than NFL teams.

Reaction score
If they were to draft him I wouldn't be mad at all.... I believe his best position will be LT, Free would be an excellent RT.

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3894820 said:
Goose came out with his positional rankings tonight. Let's just say that if you believe Goose is plugged into NFL front offices, the Cowboys aren't the only ones who think Smith is the best OT in the draft. Let's just also say Carimi is way more popular with messageboard posters than NFL teams.

I agree...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3894689 said:
So would any number of players in the draft.

Hell, Rob Petitti might be an upgrade.

The bar isn't set too high. Colombo is DONE and might as well be dead weight at this point.

Petitti actually did not really SUCK until he injured his ankle late in the season. He was almost decent at times before that.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
burmafrd;3894885 said:
Petitti actually did not really SUCK until he injured his ankle late in the season. He was almost decent at times before that.

It was amazing the wieght he lost to get on Survivor.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd;3894885 said:

He did suck, but since Parcells liked him at the time, people ewwed and awwed over him. He was always a lousy player.

Some of his suckness was overshadowed by the suckness of the guy playing LT, Torrin Tucker

fortdick

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3894807 said:
Absolutely Smith will be starting Day 1 if he's taken #9. He played in a Pro Style offense in college under and offensive line coach who was a former NFL offensive line coach. If Ryan Clady can go to the Pro Bowl in Year 1 and win OROY, Tyron Smith can at least start since they're really not that different coming out of college. If Roger Stafford can start as a rookie, so can Smith.

So, basically, we would draft Smith to play right tackle. At #9? How about we trade down and get Carimi to play right tackle?

fortdick

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3894823 said:
If they were to draft him I wouldn't be mad at all.... I believe his best position will be LT, Free would be an excellent RT.

Yes, he would. BUT.....he is an excellent left tackle. Why move him and replace him with an unknown?

I just don't get this thinking!

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
fortdick;3895183 said:
Yes, he would. BUT.....he is an excellent left tackle. Why move him and replace him with an unknown?

Doug Free is a good left tackle. He led the team in penalties last year. He's a better right tackle.

Reaction score
fortdick;3895183 said:

No correction he was an OK LT but would be a great RT.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
fortdick;3895183 said:

If Smith can't play LT, he shouldn't be drafted at #9 if you ask me.

If you think Free is an excellent LT and the future there, then there's no need to spend the #9 pick on a RT.