Tyron Smith Pro Day

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
slotshot;3893802 said:
Quick question...

I am starting to get on the Smith bandwagon as well. In that he has played RT during his time at USC, how freaking good was Matt Kalil at LT??? This guy must have been all things to all people! Ryan's brother right?

Please forgive my obvious ignorance of USC and college football in general.

Thanks!

Because USC was already putting new starters in 3 of the 5 offensive line positions. In the one aspect of football where continuity makes the most difference, no need in needlessly causing further turmoil and chaos by making it 4 out of 5 positions. Especially since RT vs. LT archetypes are rapidly becoming antiquated concepts.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I've always contended that first round picks, much less Top 10 picks, should be spent on special talents. You can find middling talents in mid-rounds and free agency to plug holes. The elite players and difference makers never see free agency because their teams franchise tag them or tie them up long term. Generally, the only way you aquire elite level talents is by drafting them yourself, and typically drafting them highly. That's why I take DeMarcus Ware with the 11th pick instead of David Pollack, even though DeMarcus Ware came out of Troy State and Pollack was a proven producer in the SEC ... because DeMarcus Ware was an elite talent, even if he wasn't as "polished" as Pollack.

If I'm taking an offensive tackle in the first round, much less a Top 10 pick, I'm taking the guy I think can be the next Jonathon Ogden or Orlando Pace, not the next John Runyan. A Top 10 pick is supposed to be your compensation for suffering through a miserable season. I didn't suffer through a miserable season for the rights to draft the next Jon Stinchcomb.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3893854 said:
Especially since RT vs. LT archetypes are rapidly becoming antiquated concepts.

I've heard this quite a bit lately, but I don't really see the proof on the field. From what I've seen, your best tackle is still on the left and the guy on the right is no where near as heralded.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Smith is a beast of an athlete.

He is clearly best suited as a finesse LT right now and has his experience as a RT. Odd combination that only happens because he went to 5 star recruit haven, USC.

A lot has been made of his tape against Cam Jordan but that was up and down to me. He was very good in some plays and totally whiffed on a couple others. Talk of him dominating Jordan begs what tape was actually watched.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/12/21/1889327/video-tyron-smith-against-california

Smith is intriguing and could be a Hall of Fame caliber player. But he also could be a weaker version of D'Brickashaw Ferguson and that is rather scary. Ferguson has been considered a bust for a fair portion of his admittedly young pro career. He is still not a consistent Pro Bowl level performer and struggles to maintain a fairly pedestrian 310 pounds. BUT, Ferguson is young, playing at a reasonably high level and shows no signs of dropping off. That is a good value overall though it was a weak initial reward for the 4th overall pick.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This guy is BIG, strong and fast. He looks really good. I am 100% sold at taking him #9.

Look at this guys video at the pro day. This guy is going to be better that D'Brickshaw Ferguson and I have no doubts about it.

This guy claims thinks he can only be a RT based on foot work which is dumb. Footwork and technique are learned.

Either way, this kid is going to be damn good.

Article and video

Git're done Jerry!

burmafrd

Reaction score
TheCount;3893866 said:
I've heard this quite a bit lately, but I don't really see the proof on the field. From what I've seen, your best tackle is still on the left and the guy on the right is no where near as heralded.

And defenses take advantage of that to flip their best pass rushers more and more. And when you run into a team with two really good ones then you are in trouble. having both tackles be able to handle the best speed rushers would be a huge edge.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TheCount;3893866 said:

I agree with you. Whoever is stating that LT and RT are interchangeable haven't been paying attention to the actual games or the paychecks.

LT is still a rare, rare find who can pass block versus elite speed guys and still handle powerful bull rushes. RTs are still massive guys who can run block and slow down edge rushers with help of a FB or TE.

A good LT can obviously play RT but you almost never see a team take a proven quality LT and make him a RT. That only happens if a better players comes along.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jterrell;3893914 said:
I agree with you. Whoever is stating that LT and RT are interchangeable haven't been paying attention to the actual games or the paychecks.

LT is still a rare, rare find who can pass block versus elite speed guys and still handle powerful bull rushes. RTs are still massive guys who can run block and slow down edge rushers with help of a FB or TE.

A good LT can obviously play RT but you almost never see a team take a proven quality LT and make him a RT. That only happens if a better players comes along.

That's because it's rare to have one elite pass blocking tackle, much less two. That doesn't mean teams prefer a slow footed goliath at one spot, or that they wouldn't prefer two great great bookend pass protection tackles. That's why hard and true archetypes are oftentimes useless, because you're grading on a scale of average rather than preferable. It's like saying baseball teams don't like having a shortstop to hit 40 HRs in a season, because shortstops are typically only supposed to hit 12-15 HRs a year.

It really is remarkable how stupid and simple minded people believe NFL defensive coordinators are. Like they're too stupid to notice that one tackle brings a much better matchup for their elite pass rusher than the other, and they're not creative enough to figure out a way to exploit it. Not to mention that with more and more teams move to the 3-4, you're getting more and more undersized speed rushers attacking from both edges. Hell, even without the 3 man front, most 4 man sets are now moving to smaller DEs and moving them out to more and more exaggerated 9 techs split out wider, which the Eagles have already said they will be using with Trent Cole and Brandon Graham next year under Jim Washburn.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3893939 said:
That's because it's rare to have one elite pass blocking tackle, much less two. That doesn't mean teams prefer a slow footed goliath at one spot, or that they wouldn't prefer two great great bookend pass protection tackles. That's like saying baseball teams don't like having a shortstop to hit 40 HR, because shortstops are typically only supposed to hit 12-15 HRs a year.

It really is remarkable how stupid and simple minded people believe NFL defensive coordinators are. Like they're too stupid to notice that one tackle brings a much better matchup for their elite pass rusher than the other, and they're not creative enough to figure out a way to exploit it. Not to mention that with more and more teams move to the 3-4, you're getting more and more undersized speed rushers attacking from both edges. Hell, even without the 3 man front, most 4 man sets are now moving to smaller DEs and moving them out to more and more exaggerated 9 techs, which the Eagles will be using with Trent Cole and Brandon Graham next year under Jim Washburn.

I think those are all true facts. Unfortunately they don't mean much to the base point.

You even agree that teams would prefer two LT types, but can not find them. That in itself admits the obvious difference between the two positions.

Offenses are seeing two small ends at times and they have means to attack that with bigger fronts and the double TE sets.

All in all though there are definitely a LT and a RT framework teams work within and it isn't the same.

Ware moves around and when he does he eats double-teams. He can do so because teams double-team him wherever he goes. But he is a rare player. Most teams in most match ups will not assist the LT but will assist the RT. We went years without helping Flo.

Gaede

Reaction score
"Smith showed outstanding strength and power in run drills. He explodes into defenders upon contact and forcefully moves them off the ball. His natural power and explosiveness were his most impressive attributes, and he has the potential to be a dominant force as a run blocker."

I've been very down on Smith, but I liked reading that

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Gaede;3893952 said:
"Smith showed outstanding strength and power in run drills. He explodes into defenders upon contact and forcefully moves them off the ball. His natural power and explosiveness were his most impressive attributes, and he has the potential to be a dominant force as a run blocker."

I've been very down on Smith, but I liked reading that

Tyron Smith is far more of the prototypical Left Tackle than Doug Free who could dominate the RT position.

poost

Reaction score
You know, I've been doing a lot of thinking and if the Cowboys draft Tyron Smith, then that would just cement Garrett's new influence on the team. First time ever Jerry goes o-line in first round. Maybe a change to a more athletic o-line instead of big maulers. Would be fun seeing Tyron pulling, Free lead blocking, and Felix out in space. If the Cowboys want him, they shouldn't get fancy and just draft him at 9 or risk another Unger blunder. That's just my two cents

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3893968 said:
Tyron Smith is far more of the prototypical Left Tackle than Doug Free who could dominate the RT position.

Having Doug Free and Tyron Smith bookends on our offensive line would excite the hell out of me. (...and I wouldn't ***** about who played which tackle position)

cnhnyy

Reaction score
We better take him IF he is available, I mean it is not even funny.

fortdick

Reaction score
Cover 2;3893184 said:
He was the Pac-10 Lineman of the Year if that means anything to you.

Gabe Carimi is not a 1st rounder

Gabe Carimi won the Outland Trophy as the best lineman IN THE NATION!

If that means anything to you.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
fortdick;3894041 said:

Not a damn thing when I have my Tyron Smith glasses on. :laugh2:

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick;3894041 said:

Love Carimi and the award certainly looks great on the resume, but let's not act like it's some predictor of NFL success. Here's a list of a few past winners:

Andre Smith
Greg Eslinger
Robert Gallery
Kris Farris

fortdick

Reaction score
realtick;3894047 said:
Love Carimi and the award certainly looks great on the resume, but let's not act like it's some predictor of NFL success. Here's a list of a few past winners:

Andre Smith
Greg Eslinger
Robert Gallery
Kris Farris

Then Cam Newton should not be considered as a prospect because there have been Heisman trophy winners that failed in the NFL.

I was trying to point out that some posters here will go to any extreme to tout their favorite pet cat. Even to the point of displaying their hypocrisy in the same post.

Was I too subtle?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
realtick;3894047 said:

Andre Smith
Greg Eslinger
Robert Gallery
Kris Farris

All perennial pro bowlers. The whole lot of them!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I still think Tyron Smith or JJ Watt would help our team on either line.

"have you seen him play?"

Yes, he did a fine job at RT for USC. Scouts are rating him as the top LT because he's the most athletic and has the best skill set for the position of any tackle in the draft.

If he pans out as a LT, we already know that Free can play RT and improve the running game. If we give Free LT money first, then we know Smith can play RT...he's a safe pick because we know he will end up playing somewhere.

Don't forget...he played at 280, the same weight D'brickashaw Ferguson was playing at his senior year. The kid is young, only 20, so his upside is huge...the fact that he's already put on the weight and still running great is a good sign...he will need to improve his strength, which is true of most rookie OT's.

Unless one of the big 4 drop to us (Peterson, Dareus, Fairley, Miller), I'll be thrilled with Smith at OT or JJ Watt at DE.

However, if Dallas knows they have to give Free LT money, they may move down and draft one of the other OT's for less money to play RT while picking up extra picks.