Tyron Smith Pro Day

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
fortdick;3894052 said:
Then Cam Newton should not be considered as a prospect because there have been Heisman trophy winners that failed in the NFL.

I was trying to point out that some posters here will go to any extreme to tout their favorite pet cat. Even to the point of displaying their hypocrisy in the same post.

Was I too subtle?

No way in hell would I draft Cam Newton to play QB. Especially in the first round. I'm NOT being facetious when I say that either.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
TheCount;3893866 said:
I've heard this quite a bit lately, but I don't really see the proof on the field. From what I've seen, your best tackle is still on the left and the guy on the right is no where near as heralded.
Since most QBs are right handed the LT protects his blind side. He can see the right side and teams generally run to the right so teams have the big mauler on that right side.

fortdick

Reaction score
wayne motley;3894055 said:
I still think Tyron Smith or JJ Watt would help our team on either line.

"have you seen him play?"

Yes, he did a fine job at RT for USC. Scouts are rating him as the top LT because he's the most athletic and has the best skill set for the position of any tackle in the draft.

If he pans out as a LT, we already know that Free can play RT and improve the running game. If we give Free LT money first, then we know Smith can play RT...he's a safe pick because we know he will end up playing somewhere.

Don't forget...he played at 280, the same weight D'brickashaw Ferguson was playing at his senior year. The kid is young, only 20, so his upside is huge...the fact that he's already put on the weight and still running great is a good sign...he will need to improve his strength, which is true of most rookie OT's.

Unless one of the big 4 drop to us (Peterson, Dareus, Fairley, Miller), I'll be thrilled with Smith at OT or JJ Watt at DE.

However, if Dallas knows they have to give Free LT money, they may move down and draft one of the other OT's for less money to play RT while picking up extra picks.

Good post.

The decision between Smith, Carimi, Costanza, Sherrod, et. al., boils down to what is the best move for the future. If you believe that Free is the guy as LT, you trade down and take a RT later in the draft and pick up an extra second or third. If you don't, you take a guy like Smith.

I view Smith like Soldier, an exceptional athlete that may very well prove out as a future Pro Bowler. Both have high ceilings but aren't quite ready to step in and start for a contending team.

I like Carimi best because he can step in and play RT right now. He may develope into a LT, but since we already have one in Doug Free, it would have to be as a option in case of injury. I also think that we can get a Carimi or Costanza in the mid teens affording us the option to trade down and maybe pick up a NT or ILB that are "nice to haves" but not essential.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see a need for CB in the first round. Especially one with a single digit Wonderlick. Peterson maybe all that and a can of beer, but, to me, is not worth given up second and third round picks to trade down. We need those picks. But then, I don't make any decisions and this may very well be the way they go in the end.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jterrell;3893946 said:
Ware moves around and when he does he eats double-teams. He can do so because teams double-team him wherever he goes. But he is a rare player. Most teams in most match ups will not assist the LT but will assist the RT. We went years without helping Flo.

Again, they do it because it's a necessity, not because they want to. If teams had their druthers they would prefer to have two tackles than can handle elite pass rushers, not a just one with a fat behemoth slob on the right side that requires them to tie up their TE in the passing game.

Again, that's the flaw in using these archeypes as the hard rule of thumb. You're playing down to mediocrity and lowest common denominator rather than aiming for elitism. If you have a shortstop that is capable of hitting 40 homeruns a season, you don't move him to left field just because "left fielders hit homeruns, and shortstops don't". You take advantage of the fact that you have a rare player who provides an advantage over your competition.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
burmafrd;3893899 said:
And defenses take advantage of that to flip their best pass rushers more and more. And when you run into a team with two really good ones then you are in trouble. having both tackles be able to handle the best speed rushers would be a huge edge.

Two really good tackles does not necessarily equate to playing two LT's.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
fortdick;3894077 said:
Good post.

The decision between Smith, Carimi, Costanza, Sherrod, et. al., boils down to what is the best move for the future. If you believe that Free is the guy as LT, you trade down and take a RT later in the draft and pick up an extra second or third. If you don't, you take a guy like Smith.

I view Smith like Soldier, an exceptional athlete that may very well prove out as a future Pro Bowler. Both have high ceilings but aren't quite ready to step in and start for a contending team.

I like Carimi best because he can step in and play RT right now. He may develope into a LT, but since we already have one in Doug Free, it would have to be as a option in case of injury. I also think that we can get a Carimi or Costanza in the mid teens affording us the option to trade down and maybe pick up a NT or ILB that are "nice to haves" but not essential.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see a need for CB in the first round. Especially one with a single digit Wonderlick. Peterson maybe all that and a can of beer, but, to me, is not worth given up second and third round picks to trade down. We need those picks. But then, I don't make any decisions and this may very well be the way they go in the end.

:hammer:

If we feel good with Free @ LT then it makes a lot more sense to trade down, get the extra 2nd and nab Carimi. Having two 2nds opens up tons of options and gives us the ammunition to trade up for our guy instead of waiting/praying for them to fall to 40. If Free's our LT of the future than I'd much rather have a combo of Gabe Carimi + Phil Taylor/Brandon Harris over Tyron Smith.

slotshot

Reaction score
I have to say though, I would feel so much more comfortable having a RT who could slide over to LT in case of injury. That, my friends, would be DEPTH!

hendog

Reaction score
slotshot;3894218 said:
I have to say though, I would feel so much more comfortable having a RT who could slide over to LT in case of injury. That, my friends, would be DEPTH!

Who's to say Carimi couldn't slide over to LT in case of emergency. I mean he won the Outland Trophy as the nations top OL while actually starting at LT all four years. Everybody's so sure he can't do it after having done it for 4 years and apparently at an elite college level. Everyones positive Smith can do it yet he's never done it. He didn't slide over there when the LT at USC "was struggling early in the year" which was noted on here by Smith advocates.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
hendog;3894254 said:
Who's to say Carimi couldn't slide over to LT in case of emergency. I mean he won the Outland Trophy as the nations top OL while actually starting at LT all four years.

Sure, just like Jerry tells us Leonard Davis could slide out to left tackle if needed. That's where he played at Arizona and college. If he's played there, that means it's case closed.

hendog

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3894269 said:
Sure, just like Jerry tells us Leonard Davis could slide out to left tackle if needed. That's where he played at Arizona and college. If he's played there, that means it's case closed.

Look I know you don't like Carimi and that's fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. I would rather trade down and pick up an extra pick and pick one of the other guys. I don't think we need a LT. Free is a damn good one and will only get better. To me what I've seen in games and on tape Smith just doesn't look like a guy I want with the 9 pick. We can sit sit here and argue about what a great LT he'll be but we really don't know cause no one seen him do it. Which for the life of me I can't understand. I know how u stand on that but if there is no discernible difference than why all the fuss over LT and why do they get paid so much?

slotshot

Reaction score
hendog;3894254 said:
Who's to say Carimi couldn't slide over to LT in case of emergency. I mean he won the Outland Trophy as the nations top OL while actually starting at LT all four years. Everybody's so sure he can't do it after having done it for 4 years and apparently at an elite college level. Everyones positive Smith can do it yet he's never done it. He didn't slide over there when the LT at USC "was struggling early in the year" which was noted on here by Smith advocates.

ummm...don't think anyone said Carimi couldn't do this as well...or maybe Castonzo too I guess.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
hendog;3894306 said:
Look I know you don't like Carimi and that's fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. I would rather trade down and pick up an extra pick and pick one of the other guys. I don't think we need a LT. Free is a damn good one and will only get better. To me what I've seen in games and on tape Smith just doesn't look like a guy I want with the 9 pick. We can sit sit here and argue about what a great LT he'll be but we really don't know cause no one seen him do it. Which for the life of me I can't understand. I know how u stand on that but if there is no discernible difference than why all the fuss over LT and why do they get paid so much?

If we're going to draft a tackle at the #9 spot, it better be a player who has the ability to slide over to the left side, with injury or just being the best tackle on the team.

Is there a big difference between Carimi and Smith? Well, here's the question I ask.

What if Free regresses?

Would you feel comfortable sliding Carimi over to the right side? I sure wouldn't. Don't get cute and draft Tyron Smith at #9. We need bookend tackles.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
well I like the idea of having two guys on the team

Doug Free played well at ROT last year in Columbo's absence and with the top LOT still on the board, why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable? Sure makes game-day decisions of whittling down 53 to 45 easier, in the case of deciding on back-up OL in the case of injuries. This is a case where value equals need and is a fine pick by Dallas.

thats why I been on Derek Sherrod alone wagon

because he can play LT or RT

and form what I seen so can Smith

Caimi not so much - I don't care what awards hes won in College

Isn't a guy who I would trust on the left side at this stage in the NFL, but he can win for you in the run game and looks more like a very solid right tackle prospect to me

fortdick

Reaction score
TheSport78;3894329 said:
If we're going to draft a tackle at the #9 spot, it better be a player who has the ability to slide over to the left side, with injury or just being the best tackle on the team.

Is there a big difference between Carimi and Smith? Well, here's the question I ask.

What if Free regresses?

Would you feel comfortable sliding Carimi over to the right side? I sure wouldn't. Don't get cute and draft Tyron Smith at #9. We need bookend tackles.

Red Herring!

What is Romo regresses, or Miles, or Ware? If your players dump, then all the draft picks in the world won't help.

Just look at last year and Jenkins.

fortdick

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3894341 said:
well I like the idea of having two guys on the team

Doug Free played well at ROT last year in Columbo's absence and with the top LOT still on the board, why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable? Sure makes game-day decisions of whittling down 53 to 45 easier, in the case of deciding on back-up OL in the case of injuries. This is a case where value equals need and is a fine pick by Dallas.

thats why I been on Derek Sherrod alone wagon

because he can play LT or RT

and form what I seen so can Smith

Caimi not so much - I don't care what awards hes won in College

Isn't a guy who I would trust on the left side at this stage in the NFL, but he can win for you in the run game and looks more like a very solid right tackle prospect to me

Seriously, if he had to start next year, I would trust carimin over Smith all day! Now, three years from now, maybe not, but next year, certainly.

Remember, Smith has not played Left Tackle. You expect him to walk in and everyone to just give up? Good pass rushers will beat him like all day.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Clady, Long, Joe Thomas, Saffold..... Rookie tackles who stepped in day 1 and played well.

BTW w/ Garret at coach they had Kitna at QB, Ball at safety, and Colombo at RT they were playing winning football.

Give me Romo, Huff, and Tyron/Free at RT and I think we are going to be ok.

fortdick

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3894513 said:
Clady, Long, Joe Thomas, Saffold..... Rookie tackles who stepped in day 1 and played well.....

Did any of those guyus ever play a new position?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
fortdick;3894503 said:
Red Herring!

What is Romo regresses, or Miles, or Ware? If your players dump, then all the draft picks in the world won't help.

Just look at last year and Jenkins.

Because Romo, Ware and Miles have shown something MORE than one year.

Crad|e

Reaction score
I mean how can people like JJ watt better than Tyron Smith? JJ Watt seems like a 2nd round pick to me, nothing special but has a great motor. Smith could anchor our offensive line for a very long time. Yeah hes a workout warrior but so was Demarcus Ware.