Video: Tyron Smith rolling downfield

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It was a legit call.

Arm across the guy's neck/chest as the ball carrier goes across the face of the defender; that's a great recipe for a flag.

Also, Frederick's hands up in the air like "I didn't do anything" is the universal sign for guilt.

It looks bad but it's still not a hold. Frederick never grabbed his jersey or wrapped him up.

He got his hands in front of him while continuing to mov his feet and disengaged at the last possible second.

This ref crew just calls extremely tight penalties.

ringmaster

Reaction score
It was a phantom hold on T-Fred...
That is why I can't stand Jerome Boger and his flag happy crew immediately saw the bogus holding call on Yosimite but couldn't see that blatant illegal tackle on Zeke on the final play on that game winning drive and I hope the team sent that crap to the NFL front office.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It looks bad but it's still not a hold. Frederick never grabbed his jersey or wrapped him up.

He got his hands in front of him while continuing to mov his feet and disengaged at the last possible second.

This ref crew just calls extremely tight penalties.

The other angles clearly show his arm across the defender's chest up high and yanking. The fact his feet keep moving doesn't negate the penalty. Frederick knew he was towing the line with a penalty which is why exaggeratedly had his arm up in the air as the play went by.

That engagement may not have been called away from the play but if the runner goes across the face of the defender and the aforementioned scenario (described above) happens, as it did, it gets called as it should. The ref is going to see that defender as being restricted illegally from impacting the play. Frederick was the only thing between the defender and the ball carrier; the blocks gotta be clean.

And before anyone laments the "ah, they're just trying to screw us!" mantra, that flag was thrown immediately after Zeke past that defender, not after he ran 60 yards up the field.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
It was a phantom hold on T-Fred...
Phantom? Even I have to be realistic about what I saw in the replay. T-Fred hooked him and held on. It was indeed textbook holding. Sadly, he didn't even have to do it. Zeke was already off to the races.

T-RO

Reaction score
I just want to repost this, because we haven't done a highlight of Tyron Smith all season. The DB's reaction when Tyron snags him is hilarious.

Holy crap! That's got to be the furthest downfield block I've seen this year. That is some amazing athleticism right there.

Tyron wasn't himself with injuries earlier in the year. He's been getting back to mauling.

Zeke also did a super job in utilizing the block.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
when you look at the play from a different angle, Tyron was not pushing, 23 was trying to sell it. Cheating philty eagle!

Yeah, he blocked him on the side as much as from behind, although he was probably a bit fortunate not to have it called anyway. It was very close. I've seen those go either way . . . glad it went in our favor, though. Fortunately, we were at home. Very athletic play by Tyron for sure.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The other angles clearly show his arm across the defender's chest up high and yanking. The fact his feet keep moving doesn't negate the penalty. Frederick knew he was towing the line with a penalty which is why exaggeratedly had his arm up in the air as the play went by.

That engagement may not have been called away from the play but if the runner goes across the face of the defender and the aforementioned scenario (described above) happens, as it did, it gets called as it should. The ref is going to see that defender as being restricted illegally from impacting the play. Frederick was the only thing between the defender and the ball carrier; the blocks gotta be clean.

And before anyone laments the "ah, they're just trying to screw us!" mantra, that flag was thrown immediately after Zeke past that defender, not after he ran 60 yards up the field.
Well. It was clear he was going for a long run. The path was wide.

I disagree with your assessment of the block. Just because the blocker briefly reaches around the defender to gain leverage doesn't mean it's illegal. As we all know calls like this are subjective. I feel the ref used poor judgement on this brief use of a very slight reach around his body was a hold. He has to actually grab and hold imo and I don't feel he did.

Ken

Reaction score
Completely...the ironic part about that play was how Fred emphasized the disengagement of his block perfectly so the ref could see he had no jersey or any other part of the defender once Zeke got level with this block and the defender would try to peel away...it's almost as if Fred was too obvious in the gesture with the shooting out of his left hand. Ref just seemed to say "oh I got to throw the flag on that one"...it's pretty pathetic, particularly given that the defender had NO SHOT at impacting the play as he was completely out of position. smh.
Nah....as much as I hate to admit it, it was a hold.

I was pissed when they called it initially based on this angle but he definitely hooked the defender at the point of attack and they call that every time. They showed another angle that showed this clearly.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
That was definitely a hold on Fredrick. Two different refs saw the same thing. The worst part is that it was unnecessary; didn't help Zeke at all. But certainly a hold.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Just watched it again, and you're right. But the yank comes in early on Graham's right shoulder. I believe that's what was called. Not the stuff that the announcers focused on

The arms getting up around the chest doesn't really fit into the category of a grab and restrict, hook and restrict, or takedown.

It's closest to a hook and restrict but Frederick does legitimately have a good block on the guy there.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Nah....as much as I hate to admit it, it was a hold.

I was pissed when they called it initially based on this angle but he definitely hooked the defender at the point of attack and they call that every time. They showed another angle that showed this clearly.
Yeah. I saw that angle too. And frankly after rewatching it about 6 times i concluded that that was a good sales job on the defender's part. He essentially did the equal of an nba selling of the foul and the ref bought it. The defender starts flailing his arms and acting as if he's being egregiously grabbed etc.

I had not seen THIS angle of the play until this thread which is the angle the ref would have had. He's the one who threw the flag rt? This angle clearly shows Fred disengaging the block once the ball carrier gets level. Was there perhaps some minor residual entanglement? Sure. But I have seen a lot more egregious than that not get the flag. You have to admit that that crew was getting flag happy - perhaps arguably we brought it on ourselves with some of the dumb penalties we got early on which could have set the tone for the game. But that call my friend was a gift to the Eagles in my book.