Video: Tyron Smith rolling downfield

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Quite possibly the most athletic offensive lineman to ever play in the league.

Larry Allen says hello:

(crap, not working here.... just search YouTube for "Larry Allen prevents pick six")

Zordon

Reaction score
Tyron Smith took a paycut? I haven't read that anywhere.

He restructured and got tons of $$$ upfront which lessened his cap hit but he didn't take a cut

My bad I shouldn't have said payout, I meant he signed an extraordinary team friendly deal. He left a lot of money on the table when he signed that 10 year extension. It pissed a lot of people off in the agent world but i remember Tyron said he did it to get it out of the way and out of respect to Jerry for helping him through his family situation.

This article breaksdown what he gave up by signing that deal. Not having to worry about contract negotiations with your franchise LT for a decade is a blessing for the front office.

http://warsaw.sportsblog.com/posts/...ive_tackle_tyron_smith_contract_analysis.html

In all, Dallas has a premier left tackle, who has the potential to be the best at his position, locked up at $10 million a clip in his prime. In 2021, he’ll earn a mere $10.5 million. By then, the salary cap could be well north of $200 million, and player salaries, especially for left tackles, are sure to have risen dramatically. Wherever the cap ends up, Smith should eventually be viewed as one of the league’s biggest bargains at his position for years to come. It will be 2022 before Smith earns a P5 Salary that exceeds the $12 million mark.

However, Smith’s youth (he doesn’t turn 24 until December) is what is bothersome about the deal. He could have hit another five- to six-year deal at 29 or 30 if he decided to sign a shorter extension. It’s not as if the guaranteed money is parallel with the decade-long commitment. Another problem with the length of the deal is an escalating salary cap. By the time Smith is eligible for free agency, he will have been significantly underpaid for years.