Tyrone Crawford doesn't deserve the hate gets

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That " good leader" tag is thrown around so much in today's football & specifically this team. What is he a good leader@? What exactly is he leading? On how to Finesse Jerry & Co to fork over money he didn't necessarily deserve. No offense to u but I just find that line to be funny when people or fans say that. " He's a good leader tho" like if Crawford is leading ur unit or team,then y'all not going nowhere far trust!
If you read further I said it was a bad contract. A good leader on and off the field is kinda self explanatory IMO. In the case of TC I really don't think it is debatable. Again a bad contract like I said in the post you originally responded to.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he is a perfect example of people hating on a bad contract and having that flow over to the player.
Yep, same thing as hating on a player because of his draft position. I never fault the player for his contract or his draft position.

I am sure there are quite a few here that would tell Booger "Oh no, that's way to much money. I am underserving and you need to cut the years back as well, I might get injured or get one of those brain eating amoebas. Please use that money for someone more deserving".

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don’t really see much “hate” for Crawford.

I feel like most of the criticism he receives is because people think he is overpaid and just kind of a JAG.

Which I think is true.

I don’t hate Crawford. But I also don’t think he is anything more than a solid rotational player. As a fan I’m getting sick and tired of seeing the coaches and front office trying to rely on him as a starter.

I also am sick of the yearly “oh I was playing hurt” routine we hear at the end of every season.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
If you read further I said it was a bad contract. A good leader on and off the field is kinda self explanatory IMO. In the case of TC I really don't think it is debatable. Again a bad contract like I said in the post you originally responded to.
Ok Kelz, I'm saying he's not a good leader on the field, the off the field ish I could care less about. On the field is my concern & I'm concerned that my team has fans& employees of the team that somehow think Crawford is a leader.. this thought process is what plagues us in my humble opinion. That's ur opinion & I respect that. I think evaluating TC as a leader is why we're in the predicament we are in. Point blank period!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I don’t really see much “hate” for Crawford.

I'm not one of those guys, but you've been here since Oct 2017, you haven't seen enough posts here on him. There's been a lot of "hate" and handwringing. As previously mentioned by several posters, most of it is probably due to his $9M aav contract that some feel is too high. The negativity that flowed his way was after the season of his extension when he didn't blow up into the 10 sack 3T some thought we were getting.

Regardless, we need him and we need that shoulder to hold up. He has a high motor when he isn't hurting, and can be very disruptive, even if it's in the form of hurries/pressures more than it is sacks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm not one of those guys, but you've been here since Oct 2017, you haven't seen enough posts here on him. There's been a lot of "hate" and handwringing. As previously mentioned by several posters, most of it is probably due to his $9M aav contract that some feel is too high.

Regardless, we need him and that shoulder to hold up.

His deal was actually 6/46m........it was an extension but the signing bonus was applied to 2015

He is only due 21m for 2018-2020....that is 7m a year and ZERO left is guaranteed

He is our best DL over the last 4 years by far...... he gets consistent pressure from several positions and never misses time

With all the other suspensions on the DL we are lucky to have him

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
His deal was actually 6/46m........it was an extension but the signing bonus was applied to 2015

He is only due 21m for 2018-2020....that is 7m a year

He is our best DL over the last 4 years by far...... he gets consistent pressure from several positions and never misses time

With all the other suspensions on the DL we are lucky to have him
Ahh, thanks for the correction. Wonder why I remember as it breaking down to 9aav. At one point it was that, maybe not aav but cap hit for a year or two? Agreed about the pressure aspect of his game. Fans gloss over it because it isn't flashy sacks stats.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ahh, thanks for the correction. Wonder why I remember as it breaking down to 9aav. At one point it was that, maybe not aav but cap hit for a year or two?
The extension was 5/45m in new money but it was added to his old contract to prorate the signing bonus and en extra year so for the AAV is has to be counted that way

Same thing with ZMartin....... he got 6/84m in new money.......add that to 9.3m left on his deal and it is 7/93.3m.................................14m AAV vs 13.3m

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is what I remembered. Thanks, B. I was wrong about the aav part, but knew there was a $9M breakdown somewhere in there. Thanks, again, for the correction, amigo.
It is the same way they complain about his cap hit of 9m but they forget the last 3 cap hits were for 2.8m, 4.3m and 10m........... those are insanely cheap vs his production

17m for 3 years is one year out of DLaw

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It is the same way they complain about his cap hit of 9m but they forget the last 3 cap hits were for 2.8m, 4.3m and 10m........... those are insanely cheap vs his production

17m for 3 years is one year out of DLaw
To be fair, and not to take away from your point on TC, Night, but DLaw was a certified beast last year. If he plays that way every year he is worth 17M. I hope we have our franchise end in him. Cautiously optimistic.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
There's a good chance he fills in at 3T while dummy is suspended.
He'll do a solid job- apply pretty good pressure w/o gaudy stats.
He is what he is- a guy that's pretty good at three different spots - RDE, LDE, 3T - but not a Pro Bowler. He hardly misses games which is more than we can say about Irving.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In no way does this guy deserve near the hate that he receives. What should have done? Turn down the money, say NO...THATS TOO MUCH! Would you have? LOL

He is what he is,.... a good solid player who impacts a lot of plays. He may never be a pro bowl type player but HE IS a guy that is unselfish and goes about his job in a workmanlike manner. He is a guy that might not make the play, but due to his actions he influences A LOT of plays that others clean up. Kind of guy that will be sorely missed when he is gone. Asked to play multiple positions and does so without complaint. Very versatile. Soooo, Hate away..... but in the end we are very lucky to have him as a Cowboy.

I basically agree.

Just because a player is a bit over-paid does not mean the player does not have value or that he would be easily replaced.

I'm sure Stephen Jones has his eye on Crawford's 6M salary; however, unless they find 4 DEs that are better, Crawford likely stays.

Last season they only had 1 DE (DLaw) that was consistently better.

I expect Taco to be good this year. Maybe not great, but definitely good.

If reinstated, Randy Gregory is highly likely to make the 53.

Armstrong likely makes the 53.

That would leave 1 spot for Crawford, Ealy or Tapper.

Ealy, like Crawford is a high probability to be solid but unspectular. Ealy will only cost 1.05M to keep (he has 200K guaranteed).

There were several reports about Crawford being at his lightest weight this year (as of OTAs). I don't think they want him back at DT other than some occasional pass rush situations; although the Irving suspension and the Collins injury could force the issue.

If Collins is ready by game one, then I say Crawford's primary competition is Ealy at DE or Ward as the backup 3-tech while Irving is suspended.

In regards to 2019, I'll be surprised if Crawford is on the roster that season.