Tyson Thompson has SPEED!!

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
Weren't you saying he would over take JJ as starter?
I don't think that would happen, but if we could ever figure out how to run a screen, he could kill teams.

Catch-22

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but all Thompson can do is run in a straight line in the open field.

Great for a sprinter, but for an NFL rb? I don't think so. He can do nothing when faced with contact. If this were a real NFL game, the defense would be all over that gimmicky money-play sweep.

He'll make the practice squad at best.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Before you can run inside there has to be a hole to run through. Didn't see many holes tonight.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Did you actually see the game? That one trick pony was doing everything he could to win the game despite no help by the o-linemen. If they actually would have given him a hole, maybe he shows us what he can do between the tackles.

Who cares about winning the game? Its absolutely meaningless. This is about evaluating the players. I knew Tyson Thompson had speed to the outside. This isn't a ground breaking moment of realization. If you're talking about #2 RB, you're talking about someone who will could step in if JJ suffers an injury ... which means he'll have to run inside effectively. What is he going to do when the games matter filling in for Julius in the regular season when the opposing defense has watched film and game planed all week to take that outside run away from him?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Careful, I mentioned that last week and was drawn and quarted after being tarred and feathered.
Congrats to your boy, Saladin...he sure can round a corner. :)

Catch-22

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Before you can run inside there has to be a hole to run through. Didn't see many holes tonight.

But all he did was fall down, no leg drive or any sort of knifing move. The guy has no moves

Champsheart

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's very good playing to his strengths, but he looks like a 1 trick pony bouncing it to the outside on every single run. And he bounces it out to the same side.

Yep! Van he do anything else?

That is the question.

Hopefully he will see the O-Line open a couple holes inside for him as the Pre-Season goes on.

Catch-22

Reaction score
When JJ was lighting up the preseason he was making guys miss and breaking tackles in the open field, not just sprinting at a 45 degree angle to the sidelines. :rolleyes:

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
He got 1st downs, that's all I know. I don't know if he has any juke moves since he had no chance to use them.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
Weren't you saying he would over take JJ as starter?

No, the question I proposed last week was would anyone be terribly surprised is he got to start some this year.

I'm a huge JJ fan and for the record I don't think that he'll be surplanted anytime soon but in todays NFL you can never have too many weapons at the skill positions.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Who cares about winning the game? Its absolutely meaningless. This is about evaluating the players. I knew Tyson Thompson had speed to the outside. This isn't a ground breaking moment of realization. If you're talking about #2 RB, you're talking about someone who will could step in if JJ suffers an injury ... which means he'll have to run inside effectively. What is he going to do when the games matter filling in for Julius in the regular season when the opposing defense has watched film and game planed all week to take that outside run away from him?
But he has to have a hole, there were no holes. Julius didn't have any either, he was avg under 2 a carry.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
No, the question I proposed last week was would anyone be terribly surprised is he got to start some this year.

I'm a huge JJ fan and for the record I don't think that he'll be surplanted anytime soon but in todays NFL you can never have too many weapons at the skill positions.
If he could break tackles, get through the line, and pick up blitzs, I'd do it. He's too fast, that kills defenses.

Catch-22

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
But he has to have a hole, there were no holes. Julius didn't have any either, he was avg under 2 a carry.

Julius drove the pile and intiated and controlled the contact at the line of scrimmage, TT just crumpled.

Reaction score
Catch-22 said:
I'm sorry, but all Thompson can do is run in a straight line in the open field.

Great for a sprinter, but for an NFL rb? I don't think so. He can do nothing when faced with contact. If this were a real NFL game, the defense would be all over that gimmicky money-play sweep.

He'll make the practice squad at best.

With all due respect, did you actually watch the game? Sure doesn't sound like it. Thompson is not only VERY fast, but shifty too. On one return, he got 5 yards that were not there by sidesteping one after the other Cardinal tackler when he was completely surrounded. He won't make it to our practice squad if he repeats next week what he did tonight. Guaranteed.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Catch-22 said:
But all he did was fall down, no leg drive or any sort of knifing move. The guy has no moves

Good point......he's worth another look see.

I would like to see run him a few different plays.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Boy's fan in Giant land said:
With all due respect, did you actually watch the game? Sure doesn't sound like it. Thompson is not only VERY fast, but shifty too. On one return, he got 5 yards that were not there by sidesteping one after the other Cardinal tackler when he was completely surrounded. He won't make it to our practice squad if he repeats next week what he did tonight. Guaranteed.

Yes I did watch the game, and what I saw was a one play player.

Unless he does something to prove that he has any semblance of running back skills, he'll quietly make his way to the PS and dissapear.

All we learned tonight was that he can run fast, whoopee, we already knew that.

Catch-22

Reaction score
I'd like to see what he can do next week, but honestly, from what I seen he's the type of player that are a dime a dozen in NFL training camps

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Catch-22 said:

Unless he does something to prove that he has any semblance of running back skills, he'll quietly make his way to the PS and dissapear.

BP was smart enough to call a play that continued to work. You have to pound the middle at least 3 or 4 times to penetrate it most of the time,

He never had more than 1 middle run at a time.

mullet

Reaction score
Catch-22 said:

I have to say I agree with Catch-22.
Tyson Thompson may have straight line speed, but he is too stiff to be a top runner in the NFL. Can he have a role on the team? Yes. But, Julius Jones is on a much higher level. And, Marion Barber is on a higher level that Thompson.
Having said that, I want to see Thompson make the team.
The outside runs he had success with won't work against the Philly Eagles.