Ultimate Petitti Thread...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
AS the Simpsons comic book guy would say... worse tackle EVER!! false starts, holds, sacks... he can do it all! :bang2:

SPHawk

Reaction score
He's just a rookie for crying out loud. It wasn't like we took him with a high draft pick. You are expecting way too much out of a late 6th round draft pick. Let him get a full year in and a full offseason to work out.

twa

Reaction score
Yet he still does not lead the team in penalties or probably sacks given up.

What does that tell you?

Give the bashing a break,it's Christmas

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
The best thing we could hope for is Rob improves. It would be a great move then for a cheap price. Give him a chance.

Catch-22

Reaction score
As a tackle he had a false start on a QB sneak. That is inexcusable for any level of football.

Zman5

Reaction score
The best thing we could hope for is Rob improves enough to be a good backup next year. I don't think he can improve enough in one year to be considered a solid NFL starter. Maybe in 3 years.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Its imposible for it to be true? No one would want to read this drivel about their own kid on a forum.

twa

Reaction score
Speaking as a parent of a athlete ,I can understand why he would stay away :banghead:

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
twa said:
Speaking as a parent of a athlete ,I can understand why he would stay away :banghead:

Why is everyone kissing Pittdawg's arse? We all hope Rob succeeds here but its not like putting down the person, all we are doing is putting down the player. As soon as he takes off those pads, Rob is a different person to me, he is a guy like you or I.

But just because he was a 6th rounder isnt an excuse. He has guys like LA and Flo to learn from. Chargers 7th rounder Olivea played better than him as a rookie. He needs to step it up, and isnt good enough to play RT now. Next year is another story. Unless the guy plays a ST postion a team should never rely on a raw rookie like him to protect the QB, no matter what postion they play.

Rob is a backup at best right now. I was suprised that we didnt sign someone after Rogers got hurt. This is the RCB spot from last year haunting us.

There is no doubt in my mind Rob can be a player down the road, but for this year and next, we shouldnt rely on him to start at OT IMO...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joshjwc9 said:
Why is everyone kissing Pittdawg's arse? We all hope Rob succeeds here but its not like putting down the person, all we are doing is putting down the player. As soon as he takes off those pads, Rob is a different person to me, he is a guy like you or I.

But just because he was a 6th rounder isnt an excuse. He has guys like LA and Flo to learn from. Chargers 7th rounder Olivea played better than him as a rookie. He needs to step it up, and isnt good enough to play RT now. Next year is another story. Unless the guy plays a ST postion a team should never rely on a raw rookie like him to protect the QB, no matter what postion they play.

Rob is a backup at best right now. I was suprised that we didnt sign someone after Rogers got hurt. This is the RCB spot from last year haunting us.

There is no doubt in my mind Rob can be a player down the road, but for this year and next, we shouldnt rely on him to start at OT IMO...

Some do, some don't. As long as it's respectful all the way around no problems from me. Rob's father comes here and is very open about things. He seems to be a straight-shooter.

Reaction score
Petitti's lack of improvement over the season is the biggest concern, but you just cannot write him off,,, sheesh, he was drafted as a project player in need of weight training and solid coaching,,, give him a couple more years. Tom Landry would.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EGG said:
Petitti's lack of improvement over the season is the biggest concern, but you just cannot write him off,,, sheesh, he was drafted as a project player in need of weight training and solid coaching,,, give him a couple more years. Tom Landry would.

Lack of improvement?

The guy has been hurt plus his so-called "help" went away after Flozell went down.

Reaction score
Yup, lack of improvement. I haven't seen any and getting help doesn't factor into that.

ps~ you don't happen to post at the Hamer Fan Club do you? I've seen that icon before,,,,

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
trickblue said:
In your argument, I could put your 6'5" 180 pound frame on the Dallas OL and you would excel... after all... you implied that was the case... did you not?

No, of course that was not my point. My point was the exact opposite. I would fail miserably because I am woefully undersized and woefully undertrained. It was meant to show just how ridicolous you saying that people on this board should "step up" against Julius Peppers.

I don't know how else to get this through to you, I have explained this three times in simple English.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EGG said:
Yup, lack of improvement. I haven't seen any and getting help doesn't factor into that.

ps~ you don't happen to post at the Hamer Fan Club do you? I've seen that icon before,,,,

I know what you are saying... but I think the injuries have curtailed his progress.

No, not on that site.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
who cares when he was drafted, who cares if he will beback next year .. I AM SICK of hearing his number called during critical times of a drive and killing this teams chances to adevance. I said in the original post he needs to get his head together....stop the big peanalties in big games....i.e., false start...holding, etc.... That has nothing to do with being a rookie...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sbuscha said:
who cares when he was drafted, who cares if he will beback next year .. I AM SICK of hearing his number called during critical times of a drive and killing this teams chances to adevance. I said in the original post he needs to get his head together....stop the big peanalties in big games....i.e., false start...holding, etc.... That has nothing to do with being a rookie...

YOU'RE sick of hearing his number called... Hmm.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
you must not have the sound turned up on the TV.... Did you HEAR the refere say false start and name him? Did you hear the holding call?

You know exactly what I mean... Sorry I forgot to add the word refere in order for you to understand the sentence..

scottsp

Reaction score
We've seen lower round draft picks come in and show promise in their first season, only to see them wash out within a year or two - for a variety or reasons. Rob Petitti should not be starting. The fact he is a first teamer is not his fault. In actuality, it's to his credit.

Realizing there are holes on every team throughout the league and sometimes second-day selections are required to play prominent roles, I still found it rather alarming that we ended up going with a rookie sixth rounder as the starter at right tackle...with Drew Bledsoe as the quarterback.

Personally, I thought the selection of Petitti was very good in terms of value. I also believed (and still do) he could eventually develop into a good, solid starting NFL offensive tackle. But that was in April, long before I figured he would be thrown directly into the fire. To this day, I question the lack of contingency with regard to this particular position. Taking Bledsoe's presence into consideration, it would have made more sense to have something else working there in front of Petitti. And many of us sounded on this very issue before camp broke.

Certainly the kid has struggled, especially after Flozell went down in October. I still see incredible value with this kid, but he has to get better. The starting right tackle spot should not go to him by default. And for him to keep it, he must work harder than he's ever worked in his life. Not just in the weight room, but in film study as well. To a certain extent, we can handle mental errors with first year players. A good number of those need to be eliminated.

Like most rookies, I believe Rob Petitti has needed this year to simply understand what being a professional is about. Being thrown into the fray from day one damn sure accelerated the process. There is no doubt his head was spinning in San Diego and to this day hasn't stopped. The time from March to July will be crucial to his development.

I am not totally excusing what we have seen of late from this young man. Untimely false starts, such as the one yesterday, must not happen. Not on a sneak play. That's ridiculous. Now, getting undressed by the likes of Michael Strahan and Julius Peppers? I hate it, but I realize it's likely to happen. Even ten-year vets know what that's like.

Getting beyond all that, the criticism comes with the job - especially for offensive linemen. Sucks, but it does. These guys know this all too well.

This team needs Rob Petitti to grow, develop, and mature. He has shown pretty well, despite recent setbacks. Overall, this season has been a success for the kid, IMHO. But understand: should he show to camp in less than excellent physical condition, if he isn't noticeably more polished and prepared, then he deserves what he gets. Another words, status quo will not be nearly good enough.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
scottsp said:
We've seen lower round draft picks come in and show promise in their first season, only to see them wash out within a year or two - for a variety or reasons. Rob Petitti should not be starting. The fact he is a first teamer is not his fault. In actuality, it's to his credit.

Realizing there are holes on every team throughout the league and sometimes second-day selections are required to play prominent roles, I still found it rather alarming that we ended up going with a rookie sixth rounder as the starter at right tackle...with Drew Bledsoe as the quarterback.

Personally, I thought the selection of Petitti was very good in terms of value. I also believed (and still do) he could eventually develop into a good, solid starting NFL offensive tackle. But that was in April, long before I figured he would be thrown directly into the fire. To this day, I question the lack of contingency with regard to this particular position. Taking Bledsoe's presence into consideration, it would have made more sense to have something else working there in front of Petitti. And many of us sounded on this very issue before camp broke.

Certainly the kid has struggled, especially after Flozell went down in October. I still see incredible value with this kid, but he has to get better. The starting right tackle spot should not go to him by default. And for him to keep it, he must work harder than he's ever worked in his life. Not just in the weight room, but in film study as well. To a certain extent, we can handle mental errors with first year players. A good number of those need to be eliminated.

Like most rookies, I believe Rob Petitti has needed this year to simply understand what being a professional is about. Being thrown into the fray from day one damn sure accelerated the process. There is no doubt his head was spinning in San Diego and to this day hasn't stopped. The time from March to July will be crucial to his development.

I am not totally excusing what we have seen of late from this young man. Untimely false starts, such as the one yesterday, must not happen. Not on a sneak play. That's ridiculous. Now, getting undressed by the likes of Michael Strahan and Julius Peppers? I hate it, but I realize it's likely to happen. Even ten-year vets know what that's like.

Getting beyond all that, the criticism comes with the job - especially for offensive linemen. Sucks, but it does. These guys know this all too well.

This team needs Rob Petitti to grow, develop, and mature. He has shown pretty well, despite recent setbacks. Overall, this season has been a success for the kid, IMHO. But understand: should he show to camp in less than excellent physical condition, if he isn't noticeably more polished and prepared, then he deserves what he gets. Another words, status quo will not be nearly good enough.

What about getting undressed by Bryce Fisher?