Unconfirmed: I blame the Cowboys

aikemirv

Reaction score
Fines are what it costs to holdout or it wouldn't be in the contract. A rich person once told me laws that are punishable by fines are there to discourage the poor but seen as a users fee by the rich.
Depending on how it is written - the fines are probably worded for non-compliance/performance

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If this is true then we should have drafted or pursued in FA a replacement to improve our leverage.

This is the first I’ve heard of this . I’d like to a see a link. Because by all accounts I’ve seen this was totally unexpected.

Maybe

aikemirv

Reaction score
https://brobible.com/sports/article/ezekiel-elliott-to-sign-deal-cowboys-source/

According to this a deal could be close. But then again can this guy be a friend of a liquor store clerk. Who knows.

I don't like the way Zeke has gone about this but I hope he gets a fair deal based on the parameters of his current deal, meaning he gets it 2 years early do there should be no record setting RB contract in this deal.

I have not compared Jaylons deal to other top LB's but I think the team got the best of him there due to his fear of injury. That's just what it looks like to me.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It is semantics but it does reflect on the phrase "honor the contract"
He's playing by the rules allowed in the CBA. The contract between the players and owners. If nobody was able to see this potential problem with 1st round picks when it was negotiated it's the owners problem.

Edit: if he's being fined he's still honoring the contract.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you referring to the 2 million Jerry paid the league for defending Elliott against the NFL front office?

Are you privy to his reasoning for the payout? I continue to hear speculation from talking heads, but only Jerry know the truth of the matter.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Are you privy to his reasoning for the payout? I continue to hear speculation from talking heads, but only Jerry know the truth of the matter.

According to the Washington Post:

The NFL plans to seek payment of more than $2 million from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for his actions last year related to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract extension and the suspension of running back Ezekiel Elliott, according to multiple people familiar with the league’s inner workings.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
According to the Washington Post:

The NFL plans to seek payment of more than $2 million from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for his actions last year related to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract extension and the suspension of running back Ezekiel Elliott, according to multiple people familiar with the league’s inner workings.

Why did he pay the money? Many seem to forget the ego of Mr. Jones. Make no mistake, Jerry still runs the organization. Stephen can talk and make a few decisions, but he knows where the power lies. I understand that Zeke is no match for Jerry, but we all must understand; Jerry loves the thrill of a hunt.

Praxit

Reaction score
..with 2 years still to go. They called it a Bluff. ; )...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because you don't allow a player to hold a team hostage and you don't set the precedent that just because a player wants something, that you'll cave and give it.

That is not the point. Sports allow for negotiations, incentives, and holdouts. This is not a 9 to 5. I don't know if you've noticed, but the team is fine. The fans are in an uproar.