Video: Undisputed- Is Dez Bryant washed up?

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Dez has always been a hot and cold receiver which is I've always had him as a "good" receiver and shying away from him being in the "elite" category.

I forget who we were playing last year when he had 8 targets and zero receptions...."elite" WR's don't do that.

yes they do.
last year vs the saints, julio jones had 1 catch on 7 targets for 16 yards.
aj green had 2 catches on 8 targets for 38 yards last year vs the steelers.

a good dez is about as dominant as anyone. he has 2 TDs Sunday if not for poor throws. almost every WR is hot and cold except for like antonio brown.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Dez is a freakin beast... Maybe I have blinders but I love the guy. Facts: we have a run heavy offense and a young QB who spreads the ball around judiciously. Dez can have a tendency to be "taken away" as he draws each teams most elite corner/scheme but he's still an elite receiver. As soon as I saw this segment and Shannon's predictable first take, I immediately deleted the entire show from my dvr.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell that to the triple and double coverage he commands from almost every team in the league we play
He was single covered for most of the Giants game.

Irvin never got that much single coverage. He would have had 300 yards in that game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since he soooooo washed up then PLEASEEEEE Leave him one on one the whole game with a cb, no safety help and then come holla at me at the end of the game tell me the stat line...
Since he sooooooooo washed up!

all im saying!
They basically did that in the Giants game.

wick

Reaction score
The bottom line is that Dallas doesn't benefit from throwing to Dez like it used to. As one example, look at his seasonal catch percentages:
  • 2010: 61.6
  • 2011: 61.2
  • 2012: 66.7
  • 2013: 58.5
  • 2014: 64.7
  • 2015: 43.1
  • 2016: 52.1
  • 2017: 22.2
Age seems plausible on the surface, but the problem began in his age 27 season, which feels early. Injuries may have robbed him of the ability to get open like he used to. Or maybe Tony Romo was able to get him the ball better than Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Dak Prescott.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem likely that the Cowboys can bank on him being an elite receiver moving forward. Finding a true #1 receiving threat should be the top priority in the offseason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Broken record. I think he's totally misused as a WR. He should be primarily a high volume short/intermediate threat like TO or Fitzgerald. Get the ball in his hands and take advantage of his strength as a ball carrier.

I thought Landon Collins made an excellent point in critiquing Dez's game. He said Dez is an incredibly strong WR but he doesn't really use it to his advantage. Instead we have Dez running routes outside trying to out-quick DBs, which ain't happening.

Whatever, I'm just Joe Fan on my couch. But I think Dez would dominate if featured in a short passing game. As it stands, Dez is still a very good WR. I'd say he's somewhere on the bottom end a top 10 WR.
WRs need to run accurate routes in the short area.

The longer routes allow the QB to see where the WR is going before the throw.

It will be funny if Romo spills the beans when he does a Cowboys game in regards to how they have no idea what Dez is going to do from snap to snap.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Broken record. I think he's totally misused as a WR. He should be primarily a high volume short/intermediate threat like TO or Fitzgerald. Get the ball in his hands and take advantage of his strength as a ball carrier.

I thought Landon Collins made an excellent point in critiquing Dez's game. He said Dez is an incredibly strong WR but he doesn't really use it to his advantage. Instead we have Dez running routes outside trying to out-quick DBs, which ain't happening.

Whatever, I'm just Joe Fan on my couch. But I think Dez would dominate if featured in a short passing game. As it stands, Dez is still a very good WR. I'd say he's somewhere on the bottom end a top 10 WR.
I could not agree with this more. Dez's strength, especially at this point, is once he has the ball in his hands.

The ball needs to get to him more, but in shorter pass plays.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell that to the triple and double coverage he commands from almost every team in the league we play
From Interview with OC Linehan:
He said quarterback Dak Prescott changed the first two run calls to pass plays because receiver Dez Bryant was being covered one-on-one on the outside.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Most teams don't tell their elite WR's to run go routes almost the entire game either.

But like TO and Miles before him he does it.
Myth. Austin made his money on the comeback route. TO ran a ton of drags and slants over the middle. Those guys were both better route runners than Dez.

Sharpe's criticism seemed pretty valid to me. It's not 2014 anymore guys.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Someone didn't watch the last 3 giants games. 3 receptions in 3 games against single coverage. Pitiful
you another one who didn't watch the last game... how many of those balls that Dak Threw where overthrown again? the wide open td? the dig he had no shot at, the fade that was thrown too high...

yeah pitiful day by Dez!!! watch the game again my friend and then come holly at me about who didn't watch the games i actually watch i detail bruh!

talk what u know not what u think...

kazzd58

Reaction score
That's because he's always had enough athletic ability to dominate on athleticism alone. He's not a guy who hones his craft. This is his 8th season. He should be as polished of a WR as any in the NFL but he's not. He's a great athlete but in season 8 he's far from the complete WR that you would expect him to be.

Maybe y'all are just now coming to grips of him as a receiver but i been accepted who he is as a wr and the skies that he can do at an elite level....

Dak over threw dez on multiple open routes ran by dez so y'all gonna eliminate those dak off throws huh? and how about the blatant pi's that wasn't called ok... y'all know the game better than what eyes saw i guess

kazzd58

Reaction score
Myth. Austin made his money on the comeback route. TO ran a ton of drags and slants over the middle. Those guys were both better route runners than Dez.

Sharpe's criticism seemed pretty valid to me. It's not 2014 anymore guys.

miles austin also dropped passes too more than dez.. especially the slot

kazzd58

Reaction score
If Dak (with respect) could spot the ball as well as Romo, this wouldn't be a conversation. He missed Dez several times against the Giants. It's the first game of the season. Let's calm down, and stay away from click bait videos.

what he sd...

weaver21

Reaction score
I think it's time to start acknowledging that Romo was a big part of Dez's success from 2012 to 2014. Tony knew how to get the ball to Dez and there wasn't a better connection with the fade route between those two. I'm pretty confident that Dak and Dez will eventually form strong chemistry with each other, but it's not there right now. Add in the fact that we're a run-first offense and Dez's numbers aren't going be like the ones he put up a couple of years ago. Still, it's not a excuse for him. He should be a more polished receiver by now and he's still a pretty average route runner. I know some fans won't like to hear that, but it's the truth.

Shuff

Reaction score
He was never a top 5, with his talent he has underachieved. Need to start looking for his replacement. Maybe Noah?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
AJ Green 67 yards last night. WASHED UP!
Demariyus Thomas 67 yards. WASHED UP!
Ty HIlton 57 yards. WASHED UP!
Michael Thomas 45 yards. WASHED UP!

Or maybe WR is highly dependent on QB/Oline/Scheme

As was pointed out in the All 22 on Dez...opposing defensive coordinators give him a lot of extra attention. Wake me up when that stops.