Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

Gabe

Reaction score
The Steelers could be interested right now.

If they gave us a 7th rd pick and agree to take his contract... I would have him on the first plane out of town.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Interesting. I would have viewed Tony has a one year rental, give or take a second, and a club with a real shot at the SB (Broncos for example) might enjoy having an experienced QB like Romo around. Elway took a chance on Manning. Romo could add something real to a club like that. One thing for certain, he isn't going anywhere this year. He is the insurance the Cowboys need for the season. The business end of ths will decide his fate in Dallas.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Right, but it could be argued that trading him during the season may be easier as there could be a couple of desperate teams that know, right now, they need a franchise level QB. I'm not sure that level of desperation is so prevalent in the off season.

I hear you-- but there are a couple of issues with trading him right now:

1. Salary cap complications... If we trade him now, who pays his salary? What happens to our cap? I have a feeling that trading Romo will jack up our cap since his contract is basically written so that the soonest we could part with him would be after 2017. Maybe a cap expert can comment and clear up what is even possible in terms of a mid-season trade.

2. Backup QB concerns... If we trade him in mid-season, we are backed up by Sanchez. We are in a great run at the moment. If Dak goes down, we will more than likely forfeit any playoff success this year. If we keep Tony-- if Dak gets hurt, we have a top 10 QB ready to step in and win immediately.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Steelers could be interested right now.

If they gave us a 7th rd pick and agree to take his contract... I would have him on the first plane out of town.

We have just watched our team go through a year of awful QB play and we have a football miracle happen and you want to trade one of the best QB's in the NFL?

No thanks.

I'll keep the contract at that position.

conner01

Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

Romo's contract details. It would be absolutely devastating to this team if he is kept around. Bye Zack Martin, etc...

This year for example, we are paying him $20,000,000 for practically nothing at all but a distraction. Foolish.
And if you trade him his salary escalates. His numbers are already factored into our cap. Keeping him this year changes nothing at all.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
And if you trade him his salary escalates. His numbers are already factored into our cap. Keeping him this year changes nothing at all.

People don't seem to realize that Romo's g'teed $ isn't even top 10 while we're paying DP peanuts. Many just can't help but play fantasy GM, I guess.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Interesting. I would have viewed Tony has a one year rental, give or take a second, and a club with a real shot at the SB (Broncos for example) might enjoy having an experienced QB like Romo around. Elway took a chance on Manning. Romo could add something real to a club like that. One thing for certain, he isn't going anywhere this year. He is the insurance the Cowboys need for the season. The business end of ths will decide his fate in Dallas.

Also an interesting scenario, Haley. Romo would immediately make Denver a top 3-4 favorite, and they just aren't right now. Siemian is crapping the bed, now. He's a jag who over-performed and now the league is figuring him out, and Lynch is the heir apparent, but not ready yet.

One thing is certain, if the Bronc's are our trade partner, we won't get a king's ransom (like we would from a Jets or Texan's team) with the way Elway runs the org. We'd also probably have to retain partial contract. Not my first choice, but they do need a QB, they are an instant contender with Romo.

He and Ware together makes me :(

Swanny

Reaction score
Skip haters can just listen to the first 3 minutes but honestly the whole segment is good.

I really hope they do not trade him. And it's not for depth reasons. Tony restructured his contract numerous times pushing money back to later years. You trade him away you might scare players from ever restructuring a deal with the team. However if you can get a VERY GOOD pass rusher then it's worth that risk

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
We have just watched our team go through a year of awful QB play and we have a football miracle happen and you want to trade one of the best QB's in the NFL?

No thanks.

I'll keep the contract at that position.

@Gabe is a troll, Catch.

Eddie

Reaction score
I don't see Jerry trading Romo. No way. That's like dumping your kid on the curb and taking off. That's how he will see it. He's too loyal to his players. Always has been.

Montana was traded to the Chiefs.
Favre was traded to the Jets.
Bledsoe was released and picked up by the Cowboys.

This happens all the time. Even the greatest move on.

No way we keep Romo's $20 mil salary next year out of loyalty. Being too loyal to his players has caused this 20 year drought.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I completely disagree. Trading Tony is actually finding him another avenue to continue playing. There are several teams that are likely a Romo away from being a contender.

I need you to cut off your left leg. You can still hop around on your right.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow. :huh:

You have a rookie QB with 6 games under his belt and has never (and I mean NEVER) faced any adversity playing in the NFL and you want to trade away your proven starter QB who statistically has shown to be one of the most prolific QBs in NFL history.

Screw it, cut off both legs!

SDCowboy

Reaction score
You have a rookie QB with 6 games under his belt and has never (and I mean NEVER) faced any adversity playing in the NFL and you want to trade away your proven starter QB who statistically has shown to be one of the most prolific QBs in NFL history.

Screw it, cut off both legs!
Explain to me how Dak has never face any adversity? That's a truly curious one.

And spare me Tony's history speach. By that tired logic, Roger Staubach should still be playing for us, and the Packers should never have moved on from Favre.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Explain to me how Dak has never face any adversity? That's a truly curious one.

And spare me Tony's history speach. By that tired logic, Roger Staubach should still be playing for us, and the Packers should never have moved on from Favre.

Ahh, you lack logical reasoning skills and your opinions are powered by emotional feelings.

I prefer rational discussion and clearly I won't get that from you. So we will just end this debate here.

Gabe

Reaction score
Ahh, you lack logical reasoning skills and your opinions are powered by emotional feelings.

I prefer rational discussion and clearly I won't get that from you. So we will just end this debate here.
Translation: I have no clue, im probably an LSU fan who still is upset Dak turned me down.

SDCowboy

Reaction score

:laugh: So you can't elaborate on your claim. Got it.