Video: Undisputed: Lombardi's advice to Jerry: It's time to be aggressive

Zordon

Reaction score
You can if you're paying your starter fourth round money for the next three seasons. If Romo truly gets Wally Pipped, I imagine he'll be willing to rework his contract again. He'll be here until after next season if he doesn't just hang it up, which isn't a bad thing from a football standpoint.
Seattle and New England took full advantage of hitting a home run on a rookie QB and having to pay Wilson/Brady peanuts for the first 3-4 years of their career. Let's be real, Dak is going to want a new deal within 3 years. We're not going to let him go into a contract year without a new deal. So we essentially have 2 more years to enjoy the benefits of having a dirt cheap QB. All of that is null and void if you have a 20M backup past this year. I'm surprised this is even debatable but this site has strange love affair with Romo. Some even put him and his comfort above the team.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Do you want Tony coming in or Mark Sanchez? Come on. This is a special season all hands on deck.
I'd rather have Romo. But outside of your hypothetical situation, I'd much rather have the added cap space.

Zordon

Reaction score
Romo is worth something but Bradford is 28 years old and isn't coming off a broken back. Granted Bradford has had a lot injury issues but last season he stayed relatively healthy and played very well for Philly the final few games of the season which got his arrow pointing up. Due to his youth there's still room for him to improve and we're seeing that. Romo's arrow is pointing down, his best days have come and gone and anyone willing to trade for him would have to be willing to bank he can survive a couple of more years.
That's why Skip is right....we're just trying to unload a contract here. Any players or draft picks on top of that is icing on the cake.

JBS

Reaction score
None of you guys are factoring the cap ramifications in this...

You save MUCH more money by trading him now vs getting rid of him next year..

Of course if both were equal you keep Tony as an insurance policy for Dak for this year's run..

When you compare apples to apples the decision isn't so simple...

As a matter of fact, it makes much more sense to take the risk and get rid of him

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry needs to put emotion to the side. If he wants to resign Zach Martin, Collins, some of these secondary pieces - he has to recoup that cap space from Tony.

I agree. I'd use this opportunity to trade Tony tomorrow if I thought someone would take that contract.

I think the more likely scenario is he's released next June, which would help the cap some but not as much as someone taking on his contract.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Ok you can think that as a fan. The GM needs to be more level headed. That is if you like seeing Zach Martin in a Cowboys uniform. You owe the rest of the team the best opportunity to succeed. That means using that cap space on needs on the defense and locking up the best player on our oline.
SInce when has Dallas ever had a monetary issue signing anyone?

That's nothing more than a schtick at this point.

Stephen Jones laughs at the cap.

You telling us that they won't/can't restructure Romo?

I scoff at your notion. SCOFF it!!

("Scoff" was the word of the day from my app.) ;)

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who lauded Shaun King? He benefited from the Buccaneers tremendous defense. He was the epitome of a bus driver.

Sanchise was a cute nickname, but even he was not seen as a franchise quarterback.

RGIII was a good quarterback his rookie year. But there were still concerns about his ability to take off and run from the pocket, his reliance on his feet with such a frail body and his inability to slide.

And Tim Tebow? LOL! I was a huge Tim Tebow fan, but even I had to admit his accuracy was one of the worst in the history of starting quarterbacks.

Look, Dak may not be the next Montana, but he has more of the tangibles and, apparently, the intangibles than the guys you mentioned.

While it does look like Dak has those intangibles (and tangibles) it has still been 6 games. We have the advantage of hindsight now with these other QBs (Foles, RGIII, (then Cousins), Kapernick and Josh Freeman as well), but if we had the ability to go back in time and ask fans of THOSE teams (since we all have some homer-itis) they'd be jumping for joy that they found their QB when the those guys had their windows of looking very good. The ESPN's of the world were doing varying degrees of back-flips for them also.

Yes. I DO think Dak has outperformed all expectations, but c'mon folks. Trading Romo? Even it it made financial sense, it's not a good idea.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'd rather have Romo. But outside of your hypothetical situation, I'd much rather have the added cap space.

That's why (in mine, and other's hypotheticals) we trade him to a big market contender lacking a QB in the offseason. We can't rely on Sanchez on the heels of how this season is going, SD.

Someone will pay for Romo, he'll instantly add 15k season ticket sales to a NYJets type market.

You're absolutely right (in a previous post of yours), he can't make 20+mil and not play. But his contract is worth the risk to a few select teams on the bubble.

You have no idea how much it kills me to type these words, SD.

superonyx

Reaction score
You can't have a backup as expensive as Romo. Period. Especially if you want our oline to get re-signed.
Oh..so if Romo was the starter then we wouldn't have kept our offensive line?
So the answer is to let him start since that makes some warm and fuzzy about his salary and then you get to keep your offensive line..

Well why didn't we know when we gave Romo the contract it would mean we couldn't keep the offensive line....or when we were resigning a few of them already.

Zordon

Reaction score

LOL ahh yes every offseason the CZ accountants reassure us that there is nothing we can't afford. That the salary cap is a figment of our imagination! Then the season gets here and we're stuck watching Benson Mayowa get stonewalled a dozen times a game. :laugh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
While it does look like Dak has those intangibles (and tangibles) it has still been 6 games. We have the advantage of hindsight now with these other QBs (Foles, RGIII, (then Cousins), Kapernick and Josh Freeman as well), but if we had the ability to go back in time and ask fans of THOSE teams (since we all have some homer-itis) they'd be jumping for joy that they found their QB when the those guys had their windows of looking very good. The ESPN's of the world were doing varying degrees of back-flips for them also.

Yes. I DO think Dak has outperformed all expectations, but c'mon folks. Trading Romo? Even it it made financial sense, it's not a good idea.

I also tend to agree with this. I'm conflicted. Tony Romo is making me question my sanity! Gah! :D

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Seattle and New England took full advantage of hitting a home run on a rookie QB and having to pay Wilson/Brady peanuts for the first 3-4 years of their career. Let's be real, Dak is going to want a new deal within 3 years. We're not going to let him go into a contract year without a new deal. So we essentially have 2 more years to enjoy the benefits of having a dirt cheap QB. All of that is null and void if you have a 20M backup past this year. I'm surprised this is even debatable but this site has strange love affair with Romo. Some even put him and his comfort above the team.

I agree they'll get something done before he starts his final year (IF he keeps playing like this for another season or so), but Romo won't be in the league by that point as he'll be nearing 40. Romo isn't killing them on the cap and he won't next season, either. After that, all bets are off on whether he'll ever play again. Romo's current deal isn't this ridiculous contract everyone seems to think it is. His guaranteed money is something like 10-12 in the league. With what they'll be paying Prescott, they're in fine shape there.

The whole thought of some MLB / NBA style trade is simply a waste of time with this. It isn't happening. Anybody thinking it will simply knows nothing about how the Joneses or the Cowboys work. We're still in a good place. I'm quite pleased that we won't be making some ridiculous move to get some pass rusher we'll have to pay a ton to. Do that in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
With his cap number, it's not happening.

These media idiots talking like it's something that is viable are making me laugh.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can't have a backup as expensive as Romo. Period. Especially if you want our oline to get re-signed.

Backup? Romo is not the backup, he's the franchise quarterback. You're letting the mediot lunacy infect you. How about simply enjoying the fact that we've finally got a quality backup and heir apparent on the team?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
whatever mike lombardi says do the opposite.

Run in the other direction.

Reactions: BAT

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The last 20 years suggest the Cowboys haven't quite mastered the cap, yet. ;)