Undisputed- Stephen Jones says Dak Prescott's deal will have to be team friendly

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So they haven’t lost anyone due to free agency so yeah I’m not concerned with the cap until they start losing guys they should retain.

No, this is not true. Over the last several years, and let me real clear here, if your history only goes back to the days of Romo and Murray, then you don't remember the bad days of cap hell. Your statement here is inaccurate. Mismanagement of cap does cost you players. However, if you want to deny that, that's fine with me but it's not factual.

The idea is to manage the situation so you don't have to wait till it starts costing you players before you worry about it.

ESisback

Reaction score
Days will be rued...don’t forget the day-ruing.
:thumbup:
Plus, shenanigans, Tom Foolery, guffawing, sarcastic snorts and grunts, incredulous Eye rolling, obscene graffiti, official petitions, lawsuits, parades, demonstrations, informational pamphlets...

Flamma

Reaction score
Why would we do that? The offer could be one that is way above what we want to pay. The idea is to sign him to a deal that fits the cap, if you are the team. If that can't happen, then you want maximum return on investment. Teams will drive a price up on you if you go that way. No, that's not the way to do it IMO but whatever, we disagree.

Because, and this is just my opinion, that isn't going to happen. Dak is not an elite QB and there are about 4 teams in the market for a starting QB. Made less after this draft. We're not going to see an offer that high. Again, just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because, and this is just my opinion, that isn't going to happen. Dak is not an elite QB and there are about 4 teams in the market for a starting QB. Made less after this draft. We're not going to see an offer that high. Again, just my opinion.

Exactly. You are not going to find a team who offers that, which is what I said to begin with. Did you read the thread?

The Cowboys don't want Dak gone. They want to sign him to a team friendly deal. That means that if he doesn't agree, you tag him but you make sure that if a team wants him, then they pay enough for us to go out and get another QB. If you Tag him, he will eventually figure out that he either signs a deal or plays on the Tag because no team is going to offer him top money. That's kind of the point I was trying to get across.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The difference is that I believe in what I'm saying here and it's not some act the way it is for clowns like Sharpe and Screamin' A Smith.

And I'll actually put in the work to support why I say the things I do and feel the way that I do.
:thumbup:

You know these guys have staffs who do their research for them for the show.

How much is them and how much is script writers is hard to discern.

There are monitors off camera they can read from or keep track of the points they try to make.

So how much is unplanned, etc is hard to discern from our point of view.

Most of us have never seen how a studio program works.

As an example..one day I was shooting an auto race down in Miami and it was after the race had just ended and in the tent were 2 commentators watching a monitor of the replay of the race and doing a voiceover.

I stayed and listened and all of a sudden they started talking about something to watch for was a particular crash in a turn.

Sure enough, a minute or so later there was a crash in that turn and the yellow flag for caution came out.

Now if you were listening at home, it would appear as if these guys were psychic and predicting the crash.

Nah.

They had just seen the live broadcast and knew it was coming.

But it makes them look authentic to us at home and is setting us up.

It's all about controlling the message and the viewer.

Imagine.

We are ginnnie pigs, bro.

:banghead:

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, this is not true. Over the last several years, and let me real clear here, if your history only goes back to the days of Romo and Murray, then you don't remember the bad days of cap hell. Your statement here is inaccurate. Mismanagement of cap does cost you players. However, if you want to deny that, that's fine with me but it's not factual.

The idea. is to manage the situation so you don't have to wait till it starts costing you players before you worry about it.
My history goes back further than Romo....but I will be honest.....how many of those guys were even worth retaining? The years between the Super Bowl and Romo is some of the worst Cowboys teams to date.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My history goes back further than Romo....but I will be honest.....how many of those guys were even worth retaining? The years between the Super Bowl and Romo is some of the worst Cowboys teams to date.

Well, I'll just say this. At the time, the Cowboys were the strongest, deepest, most talented team in the National Football League. A lot of our second string guys moved on to start for other teams so while we did lose guys along the way, two things happened. We ended up signing FAs to replace guys we couldn't keep and those guys just weren't the same. Of course, it didn't help that with a lot of the Coaching Staff gone, we couldn't draft for jack but that's just another straw on the proverbial camels back. We pushed cap into the future as long as we could until we ended up having to cut guys because we just didn't have enough cap to to keep them. We filled in with guys off the streets. It was just a bad, bad deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, I'll just say this. At the time, the Cowboys were the strongest, deepest, most talented team in the National Football League. A lot of our second string guys moved on to start for other teams so while we did lose guys along the way, two things happened. We ended up signing FAs to replace guys we couldn't keep and those guys just weren't the same. Of course, it didn't help that with a lot of the Coaching Staff gone, we couldn't draft for jack but that's just another straw on the proverbial camels back. We pushed cap into the future as long as we could until we ended up having to cut guys because we just didn't have enough cap to to keep them. We filled in with guys off the streets. It was just a bad, bad deal.
Wait. What era are you referencing? Are you talking about the 90s?

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly. You are not going to find a team who offers that, which is what I said to begin with. Did you read the thread?

The Cowboys don't want Dak gone. They want to sign him to a team friendly deal. That means that if he doesn't agree, you tag him but you make sure that if a team wants him, then they pay enough for us to go out and get another QB. If you Tag him, he will eventually figure out that he either signs a deal or plays on the Tag because no team is going to offer him top money. That's kind of the point I was trying to get across.

If the Cowboys don't want him gone then the FT is the perfect way to handle it. Because no team is giving us 2 first rounders for him. Everyone knows that. What will most likely happen is he signs that tag and we're at square one the following season.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't take a team friendly deal...trade him.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Crazy isn't it, I just do not get what the correlational is suppose to be.

He thinks if you dislike Dak or are critical of Dak it’s because of Romo. It doesn’t make sense. I like him when he talks about everything but Dak. Sometimes it’s just over the top, I get it he’s a huge fan and there’s nothing wrong with it. But any criticism of Dak has zero to do with Romo especially going 4 years later.

I think at this point Dak is going to sign for around 25-26 million a year that’s just my hunch which isn’t anything to sneeze over. I can see 3 year deal dresses up like a 5 year deal kinda like Tanks.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Why do you say this. I mean, it's really only been in the recent history that we have been able to manage our cap. Before that, we were completely inept over the situation and were saddled with years of crappy teams, poor talent and no way to save ourselves, except to ride it out for ten years. Do you not remember that?
Thanks ABQ, that’s kinda what I was getting at. I like Dak but I don’t see him as the savior that some here do. Don’t want our cap to be hamstrung overpaying for a guy who hasn’t figured out the accuracy part of the QB equation.

basel90

Reaction score
If Dak is gonna be the leader of the team going forward, he will need to give the cowboys a team friendly deal . Which is around 20 mil a year . He makes lots of money from endorsements . The cowboys gave him his chance in the 4th round and stuck with him through some painful games where he tossed up interceptions and fumbled games away . He is not in the Tom Brady or Rogers level and won’t beat teams with his arm .
Listen to Stephen Dak and not your agent .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So if you watched the DeMarcus Lawrence presser today..

we heard all the statements from Tank about wanting to do.a deal thar was fair and that he knew the team needed money for other talent to help him.

No doubt that will be the theme with all our coming signings.

Wonder who might depart from that mantra and demand top position money like Earl Thomas did?

As has been stated MANY times, EVERY penny, and I mean EVERY penny Dak earns in endorsements is only because he wears a Cowboys star on the side of his helmet. Go play for the Bengals and see if you are getting that Sunday ticket commercial, that Chunky Soup commercial..... he better take a DECENT team friendly deal. You think if Tony Romo was the qb of the chargers for 10 years he would have walked into the head guy for CBS? You think him making 10 mill or whatever is being rumored per season happens? Being a lifelong Cowboy, and a successful one at the QB position is lifelong security. What is that worth?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If Dak is gonna be the leader of the team going forward, he will need to give the cowboys a team friendly deal . Which is around 20 mil a year . He makes lots of money from endorsements . The cowboys gave him his chance in the 4th round and stuck with him through some painful games where he tossed up interceptions and fumbled games away . He is not in the Tom Brady or Rogers level and won’t beat teams with his arm .
Listen to Stephen Dak and not your agent .

Wrong, you don't need a rocket arm to beat teams.