Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
hi-res-1369c287e1d9fa18bf3a240516dc7a84_crop_north.jpg

starfan1

Reaction score
Nobody thinks Jerry's doing a decent job and we all know he needs a professional GM. But a soft reset in 2024, when we have such a schedule and proved we have holes throughout the roster is sensible.
Cutting into the 2025 CAP to resign those same players that didn't perform in 2023, is just pointless.
We’ll see what happens

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don’t know what Dak wants or what Jerry is thinking . I don’t believe he’s a 60 million $$ QB but I also didn’t believe him to be the best qb in league last contract

That’s not on Dak it’s the market just as it was with previous qb . I think both are and were overpaid

Those that want Dak gone call on the contract as an issue those that don’t reflect his statistical efforts and regular season MVP performance

I don’t care either way but I’m also not a Super Bowl or bust fan. I’d like one but I enjoy ( mostly) week in and week out as it only comes around so often

My days of heavy investment to the point of getting pissed have been gone since 2011.

This board however used to be a place of enjoyment and it’s been overrun with a negativity led by a handful of posters that it’s no longer a sports discussion board as much as it’s a debate stage about the QB

So in light of that I just root for a Dak extension just to piss those posters off and hopefully they keep their word and get stepping

This fanbase is no longer what it was ( and maybe it’s social media) but Stephen A who I hate has a point we are among the worst in the league and has been prior to Dak it’s just worse now
I don't think the fanbase is necessarily 'SuperBowl or bust', however, they expect some form of improvement....after being fed for the two previous years 'well at least we were beaten by the best team in the NFC'.
The way the Jones restructured Dak's last contract pretty much indicates that the extension was a forth gone conclusion....it appears they aren't as convinced(as they possibly were 12 months ago).

starfan1

Reaction score
I don't think the fanbase is necessarily 'SuperBowl or bust', however, they expect some form of improvement....after being fed for the two previous years 'well at least we were beaten by the best team in the NFC'.
The way the Jones restructured Dak's last contract pretty much indicates that the extension was a forth gone conclusion....it appears they aren't as convinced(as they possibly were 12 months ago).
A portion is and it’s a pretty annoying vocal portion and I personally don’t buy into it’s the qb holding us back . I buy into he’s part of the issue but you may be right the fact that an extension wasn’t done and the all in statements may give credence to the things will look different in 25

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
A portion is and it’s a pretty annoying vocal portion and I personally don’t buy into it’s the qb holding us back . I buy into he’s part of the issue but you may be right the fact that an extension wasn’t done and the all in statements may give credence to the things will look different in 25
There are very vocal elements on both extremes, that binary outlook is the way of the world.
Then again both Dak/France and Jerry/Stephen are just as polarized, the player wanting to maximise his money and owner possibly acknowledging that if he concedes we/he won't be able to build a team.
Actually, the middle ground is a life time contract at a very good guaranteed level, but with a new GM....but neither side would probably agree to that.

starfan1

Reaction score
There are very vocal elements on both extremes, that binary outlook is the way of the world.
Then again both Dak/France and Jerry/Stephen are just as polarized, the player wanting to maximise his money and owner possibly acknowledging that if he concedes we/he won't be able to build a team.
Actually, the middle ground is a life time contract at a very good guaranteed level, but with a new GM....but neither side would probably agree to that.
You and I are just gonna have to leave it there because one sides vocal element has become out of control the other is 3 people . 2 of which are active on another thread as we speak

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh who cares what happens with the contracts. All I know is that they got dog walked like pathetic losers against Green Bay. They are what they are. Pathetic losers.

khiladi

Reaction score

Zeke actually earned his contract though and was the actual MVP of the offense. You can’t really blame him as RB shelf-life is short, while QBs get protected all day and can play for years. Dak would have had zero wins, but Atlanta decided not to fall on the ball on an onside kick. 7 TOs that year and a broken leg. The year prior, lost to Wentz, with a play-off birth on the line and everybody healthy. That year Dallas for a long stretch was right there with the Lions in terms of being horrible on third downs. He set QC records of futility before Dallas had to leverage draft picks for Cooper and when Zeke was suspended, he couldn’t even score double digits against a winning team. To start the season he had like 3 picks returned for TDs in like 3-4 games, so Linehan’s had to put the game on Zeke’s shoulders once again.

khiladi

Reaction score
Demarco Murray actually won the offensive mvp and nobody cared. Dak finishes second and it’s an iconic moment for Dakies. Go figure.
Got only 1 second place vote too.. imagine celebrating that….

Couldn’t even find the red zone with the dumbed-down Dak offense and got annihilated by the zone defense of the 49ers. MM had to scrap that offense and basically said throw the ball to Lamb..…

In the last 5 ganes, had 5 INTs, 2 of them in the biggest game of the season, you can even call that second one a pick 6 as it was right next to the end zone and I’m not even sure if Cook touched the DB. Should have had 3 in the GH game by half, but the GB LB dropped the ball which allowed Dallas to score the next play or two. That drive also was aided by a bogus horse collar flag.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke actually earned his contract though and was the actual MVP of the offense. You can’t really blame him as RB shelf-life is short, while QBs get protected all day and can play for years. Dak would have had zero wins, but Atlanta decided not to fall on the ball on an onside kick. 7 TOs that year and a broken leg. The year prior, lost to Wentz, with a play-off birth on the line and everybody healthy. That year Dallas for a long stretch was right there with the Lions in terms of being horrible on third downs. He set QC records of futility before Dallas had to leverage draft picks for Cooper and when Zeke was suspended, he couldn’t even score double digits against a winning team. To start the season he had like 3 picks returned for TDs in like 3-4 games, so Linehan’s had to put the game on Zeke’s shoulders once again.
A contract is a contract. There is a rookie cap and salary structure in place. By caving into Zekes holdout , we basically punted away all the benefits of the rookie contract. Great for Zeke but very stupid for the team. That situation sets us up for the CD situation now where we probably aren’t going to see him anytime soon unless he gets his money now.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
who says there is any contract mess? The Cowboys will 100% be signing CeeDee Lamb. There will be no hard feelings. It will get done... just like when Dez got his deal done.You have Lamb and Jefferson both in the exact same position. Jefferson hasnt signed a deal... why not? Why dont you hear about it in the media everyday criticizing the Vikings front office? Because its the vikings and nobody outside of viking land really cares.

But with Lamb, it gives clicks as story after story gets a boatload of clicks.

Dak's contract is not an issue to me. The Cowboys are in great position if you ask me. If Dak has another solid regular season and then craps the bed in the 1st playoff game, Dallas has all the leverage to not make him the highest paid QB. If Dak has another big season and makes it to the nfc title game, Dallas will gladly make him the 1-3 highest paid qb.

If he just stinks it up in th eplayoffs and we have another 1st game exit, the Cowboys can just say enugh is enough, we are moving on.... so this is no mess IMO. This is simply what SHOULD be done in regards to Dak.

Parsons.... we all l know he will become the highest paid non qb in league history.

So I ask, where is this so called "Contract mess?"

khiladi

Reaction score
A contract is a contract. There is a rookie cap and salary structure in place. By caving into Zekes holdout , we basically punted away all the benefits of the rookie contract. Great for Zeke but very stupid for the team. That situation sets us up for the CD situation now where we probably aren’t going to see him anytime soon unless he gets his money now.
I get it, but if we didn't sit Romo, Zeke would have started with a real QB and had a SB by now.. and we'd be a lot more content and could deal with a couple down years because of contracts...