Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

morat1959

Reaction score
not really, they need a good HC and staff, a good OL. a really good defense too. Foles won a SB with a good team. He did play very good in playoffs
and SB. But you really dont need a josh allen to win a SB.
Mahomes is a difference maker, but there is only one of him.

As for dak, I would rather have a cheap good QB, than a maybe "franchise QB" that you have to pay 60 mil or more to have him.
Couldn’t disagree more but to each his own.

starfan1

Reaction score
Hopefully he signs else where and the opposite and Dak over Dallas fans go else where.... Dak is a big part of why our last 5-6 years has not led to greater success. Is he 100% the reason? Of course not, but he is a big part of it.

Lol if he is as bad as some will have you believe who is gonna want him? Dak in the post season has had his struggles for a variety of reasons that’s been well discussed here but he also is a large part of why we were there to begin with

I don’t care either way. I’m not a Dak over Dallas fan but I am a Dak over dipstick fan and this site is full of them

Too many super or bust fans and why I sure would enjoy one it don’t define my fandom

Each year 31 teams come up short. Skelator and son is the biggest deterrent to the success this fanbase believes they deserve

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Lol if he is as bad as some will have you believe who is gonna want him? Dak in the post season has had his struggles for a variety of reasons that’s been well discussed here but he also is a large part of why we were there to begin with

I don’t care either way. I’m not a Dak over Dallas fan but I am a Dak over dipstick fan and this site is full of them

Too many super or bust fans and why I sure would enjoy one it don’t define my fandom

Each year 31 teams come up short. Skelator and son is the biggest deterrent to the success this fanbase believes they deserve
After so many years everyone should be a Superbowl or bust fan. This ain't Cleveland.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Sorry, but no. Im convinced if we'd of beaten GB (and then Lions in Divisional Game, or even played well in a glorious defeat) then Dak would already of been extended. The same inability to maneuver through pressured situations, which have resurfaced for three straight years has indicated that Dak never going to make it in Dallas.
There's nothing to indicate that he can achieve on 20% of the CAP, that he hasnt already done on 12%.

.....and stop with the deflecting onto Jerry, it's NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE DAK OR JERRY.......IT'S BOTH.

MarkP88

Reaction score
The Giants flat out suck. I'm sure that Giants fans really enjoy taking it up the backside.
And yet, would anyone really bet against them being back in a conference championship game or Super Bowl sooner than us?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Contract mess? It will be the best thing that has happened to this franchise in 18 years if they can stand their ground and watch 4 walk out the door.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not blaming Dak for the contract he got from Jerry. Every player should try to get what they want in every contract they sign. But it is absolutely Jerry's fault for giving away the no trade clause, the franchise tag, and the term of the contract. There is always the option to say "No". Dak was playing on a franchise tag in 2021. He could have played the entire season on the tag. Jerry agreed to the contract Dak signed. Even on the tag, Jerry could have traded Dak.

And, of course restructuring player contracts causes problems in the future. Every team does it. As I have posted, Dak's current deal is for $40 million per year. This year though, he counts $55 million against the CAP, and there is still another $40 million pushed out into voidable years. That hits the CAP next year if Dak is not on the roster. There is even more dead money in Martin's contract and DLaw's, These were conscious decisions made by the Cowboys. But this is not going to stop if Dak signs a $60 million contract. More than likely the last year of his next deal will bring a $90 million CAP hit for the same reason.

Maybe Jerry is realizing all of this is a pointless exercise. Maybe he is planning on cleaning out all the CAP garbage and starting over. Maybe he is thinking no more restructures to create CAP space that mortgage the future. I have no idea what he is thinking. All I am saying is I would not give Dak a $60 million per year contract now, or next year. So if that is what he wants, then force a trade now and try to get something in return for him.
Maybe jerry is not thinking at all. A common criticism that has been around for decades is that this front office lacks vision and is incapable of sober analysis of the roster. When was the last time Dallas attacked free agency or even the draft with any sense of urgency? Swung a trade to cash in a player they had the foresight to realize they couldn’t afford the next contract?
Jerry and son ALWAYS think the playoff losses are one-off anomalies and if give another opportunity , the team will do better.

starfan1

Reaction score
Sorry, but no. Im convinced if we'd of beaten GB (and then Lions in Divisional Game, or even played well in a glorious defeat) then Dak would already of been extended. The same inability to maneuver through pressured situations, which have resurfaced for three straight years has indicated that Dak never going to make it in Dallas.
There's nothing to indicate that he can achieve on 20% of the CAP, that he hasnt already done on 12%.

.....and stop with the deflecting onto Jerry, it's NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE DAK OR JERRY.......IT'S BOTH.
Just because you have convinced yourself of something doesn’t mean you’re correct or incorrect t for that matter. But if it helps you get through things then you do you.

I myself don’t know what goes on in the mind of skelator and son you may be right but this team even if we beat Green Bay had enough flaws they weren’t getting by the better teams in the division. The lacked a running game and a defense to stop the run

They relied on the arm of the qb you despise to get there and he delivered . When the lights are brightest he does seem to shrink and I’m not denying it. So does the rest of the team

starfan1

Reaction score
After so many years everyone should be a Superbowl or bust fan. This ain't Cleveland.
And what makes the cowboys anymore special than the the Browns? Just because we love and idolize them doesn’t mean we are guaranteed anything

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The same inability to maneuver through pressured situations, which have resurfaced for three straight years has indicated that Dak never going to make it in Dallas.
I hate to say it but this is where I am.......the GB game was the final straw and it's not that we lost. In one of his biggest games, with every opportunity in front of him, he shows up flat and unprepared. This was after the best season of his career.

Honestly.......something I think we are not hearing, he lost some respect in the locker room.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I myself don’t know what goes on in the mind of skelator and son you may be right but this team even if we beat Green Bay had enough flaws they weren’t getting by the better teams in the division. The lacked a running game and a defense to stop the run

They relied on the arm of the qb you despise to get there and he delivered . When the lights are brightest he does seem to shrink and I’m not denying it. So does the rest of the team
So if that's true (not saying you're wrong), how does paying Dak 20% of the CAP improve those flaws?

Deflecting blame on the roster or Jerry may well be justified, but it doesnt excuse him 'shrinking' in the very games he's needed most.

starfan1

Reaction score
So if that's true (not saying you're wrong), how does paying Dak 20% of the CAP improve those flaws?

Deflecting blame on the roster or Jerry may well be justified, but it doesnt excuse him 'shrinking' in the very games he's needed most.

True but I don’t consider it deflecting at all. Dak isn’t the only one who shrinks it’s the entire team and a lot of times the coaching staff with bonehead schemes

Some just focus on Dak as he’s the qb . this team spit the bit with other qbs . I don’t necessarily believe Dak should be compensated at the level he seeks but I won’t lose sleep if he does. I’d like a more team friendly approach

And it’s very apparent that even when they have money available this FO will bargain shop instead of improving