Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

Chasing6

Reaction score
sorry I started LOL again after I read this post popping up still. after so many pages, its still hilarious you listen to undisputed.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:
:omg::omg::omg::omg:
:thumbup:

its really funny you quoting undisputed....but it tells us a lot about you.
I think you need more emojis next time.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Lol, do you really want to be a bad team without a good qb?
If it means a change towards potential then Im all for it, everybody tired of watching the deer in headlights are already accepting it, let's move.
Everyone comfortable BBQn on Sundays wearing your brand-new Jerseys while beating sub 500 teams than that is the majority of our fanbase, right there in a nutshell and why Jerry sleeps well at night.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
True but I don’t consider it deflecting at all. Dak isn’t the only one who shrinks it’s the entire team and a lot of times the coaching staff with bonehead schemes

Some just focus on Dak as he’s the qb . this team spit the bit with other qbs . I don’t necessarily believe Dak should be compensated at the level he seeks but I won’t lose sleep if he does. I’d like a more team friendly approach

And it’s very apparent that even when they have money available this FO will bargain shop instead of improving
You mentioned .....
They relied on the arm of the qb you despise to get there and he delivered .
Nope, I dont despise him at all, just think that his troubles are due (in large part) to his psychological make-up and not just because of how the CAP is allocated. Park the bus on Jerry, we are ALL in agreement he (and Stephen) dont have a coherent strategy and certainly havent the ability (nor CAP) to plug every hole, if we start paying Dak 20% of the CAP.

We appear to agree that the three recent play-off defeats have ALL INCLUDED Dak struggles..... but whilst the run defense needs improving, it's a by-product, as the actual problem is that Dak needs time to regather his composure, (THAT DIDNT HAPPEN IN THE TWO SF games, he had the ball late on and still didnt deliver). Similarly, we need a running game (ala Jimmie Wards' quote)....but again Dak had the ball in the fourth to win/tie both SF games regardless of our inability to run the ball. The GB game also highlighted the total lack of composure, even in the 1st Q, the eye indicates he only came back into the game when the pressure was off and the game lost.......that's not CAP dependent, that's on Dak's anxiety and decision making under pressure.

However, my (strong) preference, especially now that we've cut the roster to it's bare minimum (and no long term financial commitments) is to employ a professional GM and allow him to decide on the future strategy inc. which of the three 'elite' contracts to extend (I doubt we can afford all 3).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
True but I don’t consider it deflecting at all. Dak isn’t the only one who shrinks it’s the entire team and a lot of times the coaching staff with bonehead schemes

Some just focus on Dak as he’s the qb . this team spit the bit with other qbs . I don’t necessarily believe Dak should be compensated at the level he seeks but I won’t lose sleep if he does. I’d like a more team friendly approach

And it’s very apparent that even when they have money available this FO will bargain shop instead of improving
.....question on this, what do you think both parties actually want? For me you have to look at this contract in light of the last one. Jerry gave Dak everything he apparently wanted and the fact he restructured it to death indicates the idea was always to extend Dak again.

Whether realization has hit Jerry that we arent improving (despite the improved roster in 2023) or that he wants Dak on a long-term, career ending contract, and that he's 'owed' something due to the last contract .....something has changed.

So what do you think Dak wants?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Root of the problem is this front office can't identify great talent from good talent.....and overpays....to keep good people from leaving....all the time.
Definitely, it's the root of 'Liking our Own', it means you dont have to evaluate, you just keep giving contracts out, until the CAP is stretched. @Chasing6 ...... that includes Dak, you cant disconnect Dak from Jerry/Stephen's incompetence.

LysleE

Reaction score
Poor understanding and execution of the salary cap by Stephen combined with Jerry’s propensity to reward marginal players, or those with just one, good season with a large contract extensions.
Cowboys consistently over-value the talent of their players and then when cut for cap reasons are unable to get any return/draft capital on their investment.

stinkface

Reaction score
Root of the problem is this front office can't identify great talent from good talent.....and overpays....to keep good people from leaving....all the time.
Belicheat used to say its better to let them leave one year early then one year late. We do just the opposite. We seem to always overpay marginal or injured talent and let the better one's get away because we think we are overpaying.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Belicheat used to say its better to let them leave one year early then one year late. We do just the opposite. We seem to always overpay marginal or injured talent and let the better one's get away because we think we are overpaying.
Definitely, we just want to add talent at the top end, until you can't restructure the CAP. Most teams are looking to trade, even their top talent (as they can evaluate the player, his worth and return)....when was the last time we made a good trade of an established player?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Definitely, it's the root of 'Liking our Own', it means you dont have to evaluate, you just keep giving contracts out, until the CAP is stretched. @Chasing6 ...... that includes Dak, you cant disconnect Dak from Jerry/Stephen's incompetence.
By intentionally not having a back up plan in place, what does that tell you?

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Jerruh, Stephen, Zeke, Dak, Michael Gallup, and Jaylin Smith are the biggest reasons I can think of as the answer to the thread question. There are others.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
By intentionally not having a back up plan in place, what does that tell you?
It's either:
A) they never expected the GB capitulation and that Dak could have the same apparent composure issues as he did vrs SF (x2)
B) they plan on building the O-Line and bringing in a lesser QB (or playing Lance) in 2025.....a bit like 2016.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Why is it a mess? It's only a mess if we resign him for $60 mil a year.
Technically it's still a mess, Dak is making 50 million this year. Parsons and Lamb are about to get stupid money on top of it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Technically it's still a mess, Dak is making 50 million this year. Parsons and Lamb are about to get stupid money on top of it.
Not correct. He is making $29M this year.

Salary cap and what he is making are 2 separate things.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Exactly. Bro literally throws up all over himself and wants 60 million. Who even cares what happens. If he stays big woop. If he goes whippidy doo. When you stink it does not matter.
What I don't get, is how some don't see that this Dak contract 'mess' is intrinsically linked to the 1st contract capitulation and the overall uselessness of the Jones to run a team.

starfan1

Reaction score
You mentioned .....

Nope, I dont despise him at all, just think that his troubles are due (in large part) to his psychological make-up and not just because of how the CAP is allocated. Park the bus on Jerry, we are ALL in agreement he (and Stephen) dont have a coherent strategy and certainly havent the ability (nor CAP) to plug every hole, if we start paying Dak 20% of the CAP.

We appear to agree that the three recent play-off defeats have ALL INCLUDED Dak struggles..... but whilst the run defense needs improving, it's a by-product, as the actual problem is that Dak needs time to regather his composure, (THAT DIDNT HAPPEN IN THE TWO SF games, he had the ball late on and still didnt deliver). Similarly, we need a running game (ala Jimmie Wards' quote)....but again Dak had the ball in the fourth to win/tie both SF games regardless of our inability to run the ball. The GB game also highlighted the total lack of composure, even in the 1st Q, the eye indicates he only came back into the game when the pressure was off and the game lost.......that's not CAP dependent, that's on Dak's anxiety and decision making under pressure.

However, my (strong) preference, especially now that we've cut the roster to it's bare minimum (and no long term financial commitments) is to employ a professional GM and allow him to decide on the future strategy inc. which of the three 'elite' contracts to extend (I doubt we can afford all 3).
Out of those 3 contracts the only one that I believe they should prioritize is the WR.

Wouldn’t break my heart either way with the other 2. And Daks postseason anxiety is an issue as it prevents him and the team to overcome the other flaws but unless a gift falls into our laps I’m not ready to mortgage the future . This team is still a 10 win team right now before the draft .the roster isn’t as bare as you believe. We’ve lost some depth and an aging Tyron not irreplaceable

I could care less about the cap at this point. The cowboys have proven to me that even with cap space Jerry the GM isn’t capable

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I could care less about the cap at this point. The cowboys have proven to me that even with cap space Jerry the GM isn’t capable
Nobody thinks Jerry's doing a decent job and we all know he needs a professional GM. But a soft reset in 2024, when we have such a schedule and proved we have holes throughout the roster is sensible.
Cutting into the 2025 CAP to resign those same players that didn't perform in 2023, is just pointless.

starfan1

Reaction score
.....question on this, what do you think both parties actually want? For me you have to look at this contract in light of the last one. Jerry gave Dak everything he apparently wanted and the fact he restructured it to death indicates the idea was always to extend Dak again.

Whether realization has hit Jerry that we arent improving (despite the improved roster in 2023) or that he wants Dak on a long-term, career ending contract, and that he's 'owed' something due to the last contract .....something has changed.

So what do you think Dak wants?
I don’t know what Dak wants or what Jerry is thinking . I don’t believe he’s a 60 million $$ QB but I also didn’t believe him to be the best qb in league last contract

That’s not on Dak it’s the market just as it was with previous qb . I think both are and were overpaid

Those that want Dak gone call on the contract as an issue those that don’t reflect his statistical efforts and regular season MVP performance

I don’t care either way but I’m also not a Super Bowl or bust fan. I’d like one but I enjoy ( mostly) week in and week out as it only comes around so often

My days of heavy investment to the point of getting pissed have been gone since 2011.

This board however used to be a place of enjoyment and it’s been overrun with a negativity led by a handful of posters that it’s no longer a sports discussion board as much as it’s a debate stage about the QB

So in light of that I just root for a Dak extension just to piss those posters off and hopefully they keep their word and get stepping

This fanbase is no longer what it was ( and maybe it’s social media) but Stephen A who I hate has a point we are among the worst in the league and has been prior to Dak it’s just worse now