Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Can’t wait till we play a 4-13 team to start off the season and Dak goes out there and shuts everyone up.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry obviously misread the RB market when he gave Zeke $15 million. In the case of Dak, he guessed at what Dak would be and he got it wrong. When Jerry did Dak's current contract, Dak was still an unproven player. Jerry believed his own hype about Dak and went overboard signing him for $40 million. Remember, Dak got hurt in 2020 while on the franchise tag. Jerry franchised him again in 2021 before signing him to his current contract. Dak missed most of 2020, and his 2019 season ended with a bad week 16 loss to the Eagles with the season on the line. Dak did not play well and the questions about Dak were already starting to swirl around Dallas. The following week, Dak blew out Washington to end the season but Dallas missed of the playoffs. Going into 2021 Jerry decided to take a gamble on Dak and pay him what he wanted, as well as give away the trade clause and franchise tag. Jerry was wrong. Dak was never worth $40 million back then. 4 years was too short for the deal (imagine if Jerry made a 6 year deal for Dak instead of 4), and I bet he wishes he had that trade clause in his favor now.

I think Jerry knows he got burned by that deal, so now he is approaching the next deal with way more caution. We don't really know how much money Dak wants this time. We've been throwing around $60 million because that has been rumored one of twice. In 2021, the rumor was $40 million and I never believed it. It was way out of the ball park for what most thought Dak was worth. I assumed Dak would sign for somewhere around $35 million. But this time I am assuming if Dak wanted $40 million in 2021, then the $60 million is probably the number he wants now. If so, you can count me in the no deal column. Force a trade and move on as soon as possible. Do not make the same mistake again. $60 million will cripple the Cowboys for 5 or 6 more years.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What more would expect from people who are Dak fans first and foremost? They support Dak more than the team
We're going to be seeing a lot of new users names after next season.

Because a few of them have attached themselves so much to Dak that they will never be able to get past it. So, they will chose to just start all over instead under a new name.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I agree with Pappy and Skip. You can’t just give Dak 50 plus million a season with the lack of playoff success. Dak is a good quarterback but he needs to play out this season and hit free agency.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Zeke and Dak took paydays... meanwhile, the offensive line, the true MVP, Tyron and Zack were taking hometown discounts. LOL
Neither Martin or Tyron took discounts. Martin was the highest paid guard when he signed his contract and negotiations were not easy. Tyron signed a 100 million dollar contract when no one but quarterbacks was getting that kind of money.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry obviously misread the RB market when he gave Zeke $15 million. In the case of Dak, he guessed at what Dak would be and he got it wrong. When Jerry did Dak's current contract, Dak was still an unproven player. Jerry believed his own hype about Dak and went overboard signing him for $40 million. Remember, Dak got hurt in 2020 while on the franchise tag. Jerry franchised him again in 2021 before signing him to his current contract. Dak missed most of 2020, and his 2019 season ended with a bad week 16 loss to the Eagles with the season on the line. Dak did not play well and the questions about Dak were already starting to swirl around Dallas. The following week, Dak blew out Washington to end the season but Dallas missed of the playoffs. Going into 2021 Jerry decided to take a gamble on Dak and pay him what he wanted, as well as give away the trade clause and franchise tag. Jerry was wrong. Dak was never worth $40 million back then. 4 years was too short for the deal (imagine if Jerry made a 6 year deal for Dak instead of 4), and I bet he wishes he had that trade clause in his favor now.

I think Jerry knows he got burned by that deal, so now he is approaching the next deal with way more caution. We don't really know how much money Dak wants this time. We've been throwing around $60 million because that has been rumored one of twice. In 2021, the rumor was $40 million and I never believed it. It was way out of the ball park for what most thought Dak was worth. I assumed Dak would sign for somewhere around $35 million. But this time I am assuming if Dak wanted $40 million in 2021, then the $60 million is probably the number he wants now. If so, you can count me in the no deal column. Force a trade and move on as soon as possible. Do not make the same mistake again. $60 million will cripple the Cowboys for 5 or 6 more years.
Jerry’s reasoning is not the problem. Dak’s next contract is not the problem either. The Cowboys pushed Dak’s contract value into future years, in a sense, borrowing cap space against his deal, and now the bill is due. Every other team operates under the same rules, so the Cowboys cap issues have to be self inflicted. The issues are not Dak’s fault. Even if the Cowboys don’t sign Dak to a subsequent contract they still have salary cap issues because of how they handled his deal. Dak will only be paid what some owner says he will be paid. Making himself available to all 32 franchises and their being able to sign him without having to compensate the Cowboys is best for Dak. His agent, Todd France, has a duty to represent his client’s interest to the best of his ability. Dak does more to help the Cowboys win games than any fan. He counts more than Cowboys fans. Whether you’re a supporter or a detractor of Prescott, his entertainment value during and between seasons has been all Jerry could ask for. No one enjoys all this angst (attention) and controversy (attention) more than Jerry Jones.

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
I've been wanting to know what's the reasoning as well, come out and tell us this is why we're doing this and that!!! Be up front
That would be a bad personnel move to come out a publicly talk bad about your players. Would make Dallas less desirable to current and potential future players.