Undisputed: What is the root of the Cowboy's ongoing contract mess?

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry obviously misread the RB market when he gave Zeke $15 million. In the case of Dak, he guessed at what Dak would be and he got it wrong. When Jerry did Dak's current contract, Dak was still an unproven player. Jerry believed his own hype about Dak and went overboard signing him for $40 million. Remember, Dak got hurt in 2020 while on the franchise tag. Jerry franchised him again in 2021 before signing him to his current contract. Dak missed most of 2020, and his 2019 season ended with a bad week 16 loss to the Eagles with the season on the line. Dak did not play well and the questions about Dak were already starting to swirl around Dallas. The following week, Dak blew out Washington to end the season but Dallas missed of the playoffs. Going into 2021 Jerry decided to take a gamble on Dak and pay him what he wanted, as well as give away the trade clause and franchise tag. Jerry was wrong. Dak was never worth $40 million back then. 4 years was too short for the deal (imagine if Jerry made a 6 year deal for Dak instead of 4), and I bet he wishes he had that trade clause in his favor now.

I think Jerry knows he got burned by that deal, so now he is approaching the next deal with way more caution. We don't really know how much money Dak wants this time. We've been throwing around $60 million because that has been rumored one of twice. In 2021, the rumor was $40 million and I never believed it. It was way out of the ball park for what most thought Dak was worth. I assumed Dak would sign for somewhere around $35 million. But this time I am assuming if Dak wanted $40 million in 2021, then the $60 million is probably the number he wants now. If so, you can count me in the no deal column. Force a trade and move on as soon as possible. Do not make the same mistake again. $60 million will cripple the Cowboys for 5 or 6 more years.
Dak was holding out and insisting on a 4 year deal. He refused a longer one.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not saying Jerry is an amateur, but if he was, what would he do differently?

The house rules that management has absolutely puts the team at a competitive disadvantage.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry’s reasoning is not the problem. Dak’s next contract is not the problem either. The Cowboys pushed Dak’s contract value into future years, in a sense, borrowing cap space against his deal, and now the bill is due. Every other team operates under the same rules, so the Cowboys cap issues have to be self inflicted. The issues are not Dak’s fault. Even if the Cowboys don’t sign Dak to a subsequent contract they still have salary cap issues because of how they handled his deal. Dak will only be paid what some owner says he will be paid. Making himself available to all 32 franchises and their being able to sign him without having to compensate the Cowboys is best for Dak. His agent, Todd France, has a duty to represent his client’s interest to the best of his ability. Dak does more to help the Cowboys win games than any fan. He counts more than Cowboys fans. Whether you’re a supporter or a detractor of Prescott, his entertainment value during and between seasons has been all Jerry could ask for. No one enjoys all this angst (attention) and controversy (attention) more than Jerry Jones.
I am not blaming Dak for the contract he got from Jerry. Every player should try to get what they want in every contract they sign. But it is absolutely Jerry's fault for giving away the no trade clause, the franchise tag, and the term of the contract. There is always the option to say "No". Dak was playing on a franchise tag in 2021. He could have played the entire season on the tag. Jerry agreed to the contract Dak signed. Even on the tag, Jerry could have traded Dak.

And, of course restructuring player contracts causes problems in the future. Every team does it. As I have posted, Dak's current deal is for $40 million per year. This year though, he counts $55 million against the CAP, and there is still another $40 million pushed out into voidable years. That hits the CAP next year if Dak is not on the roster. There is even more dead money in Martin's contract and DLaw's, These were conscious decisions made by the Cowboys. But this is not going to stop if Dak signs a $60 million contract. More than likely the last year of his next deal will bring a $90 million CAP hit for the same reason.

Maybe Jerry is realizing all of this is a pointless exercise. Maybe he is planning on cleaning out all the CAP garbage and starting over. Maybe he is thinking no more restructures to create CAP space that mortgage the future. I have no idea what he is thinking. All I am saying is I would not give Dak a $60 million per year contract now, or next year. So if that is what he wants, then force a trade now and try to get something in return for him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We're going to be seeing a lot of new users names after next season.

Because a few of them have attached themselves so much to Dak that they will never be able to get past it. So, they will chose to just start all over instead under a new name.
just like your 4 other burner accounts :thumbup:

we are also going to not see quite a few people who have nothing else to say, I mean absolutley nothing to say except post about Dak. they will be missed sorely....

Aven8

Reaction score
Skip is actually right on here. I always felt they didn’t think he was the one the first go around as they waited so long to extend him. Now the second go around they are doing the same thing. Hopefully they have learned their lesson….

kskboys

Reaction score
I am not blaming Dak for the contract he got from Jerry. Every player should try to get what they want in every contract they sign. But it is absolutely Jerry's fault for giving away the no trade clause, the franchise tag, and the term of the contract. There is always the option to say "No". Dak was playing on a franchise tag in 2021. He could have played the entire season on the tag. Jerry agreed to the contract Dak signed. Even on the tag, Jerry could have traded Dak.

And, of course restructuring player contracts causes problems in the future. Every team does it. As I have posted, Dak's current deal is for $40 million per year. This year though, he counts $55 million against the CAP, and there is still another $40 million pushed out into voidable years. That hits the CAP next year if Dak is not on the roster. There is even more dead money in Martin's contract and DLaw's, These were conscious decisions made by the Cowboys. But this is not going to stop if Dak signs a $60 million contract. More than likely the last year of his next deal will bring a $90 million CAP hit for the same reason.

Maybe Jerry is realizing all of this is a pointless exercise. Maybe he is planning on cleaning out all the CAP garbage and starting over. Maybe he is thinking no more restructures to create CAP space that mortgage the future. I have no idea what he is thinking. All I am saying is I would not give Dak a $60 million per year contract now, or next year. So if that is what he wants, then force a trade now and try to get something in return for him.
Why not? Jerry wanted to sign Dak longer term so the contract could be worked w/. Dak absolutely refused. Our current salary cap mess is mostly on Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not saying Jerry is an amateur, but if he was, what would he do differently?

The house rules that management has absolutely puts the team at a competitive disadvantage.
Every team that Jerry "builds" ends up in a complete clusterfudge after failing miserably.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

$60 million per season is not likely for Prescott. Not from the Cowboys or any other team. The issue is someone has to play quarterback. Good ones cost a lot of money (Kansas City). If you signed a promising rookie it costs a lot of money to have the quality roster necessary to get to the Super Bowl. (San Francisco). Dallas has themselves in a difficult situation cap-wise. Dak is a comparatively good NFL quarterback and the Cowboys can’t afford to sign him. Fans expect him to sign likely the last player contract of his career for less than the market says he’s worth. That’s not fair. And they have things so messed up it would be a struggle to surround Trey Lance with, say, the kind of roster Purdy enjoys. The “no trade clause” will be a demand in many upcoming QBs’ contracts. Hurts demanded one, and got it, the first the Eagles ever gave a player. That’s going to be another challenge for teams going forward. The NTC is desired specifically so the team can’t force anything (Curt Flood). Fantasizing forcing a trade for something in return requires there be a team unaware of Prescott’s current contract situation with the Cowboys. It is fantasy. Another fantasy is an owner’s offspring is automatically a quality GM. What are the odds on something like that? The most valuable sports franchise in the world is able to afford a top, proven General Manager that can and should be made responsible for the team’s performance. The Cowboys’ owner is gambling with the team’s fans’ emotions by assuming his son can be that kind of GM. Cowboys fans have been collectively reduced to hoping for charity from the teams’ players to prop up a dysfunctional front office. The embarrassment of that is indicated on this site everyday.

shabazz

Reaction score
Actually he got none only Josh Allen got 1 first place MVP vote the way Dak got his was a running total of second third fourth place votes but let’s wave the MVP flag you know kinda like was on NFL record till he was hurt yes playoff games disastrous results mean nothing and don’t forget that 8-9 Tampa win and how Dak retired 45 year old Brady.
Oh thats right.....they did away with the 50 votes process.

So it's more like Dak got an assist on a tackle rather than a solo one......make perfect sense now

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The root of the contract mess is based on the GB play-off (and struggles vrs good teams, eg 49ers). Im convinced if we beat the Packers and Lions (or even put up a show) this wouldnt even be a thread, we'd of brought the team back, restructured/extended Dak. However, the rude awakening is that whilst Dak's a good QB, is he able to warrant the increased CAP......the whole fact that no decision has been made is testament that there are concerns.
Dak is a good QB. It isn’t a question. His issue is that he has a demonstrated incapability of playing well in big games. That is also not a question. Guy is 30 so that is not going to change. You can’t pay that guy $50-60 million knowing he will blow up in a big game. They absolutely can not extend him.

rambo2

Reaction score
Skippy used to like Dakky.......he's seen the light now.

Just shows his slow processing that it took this long to realize what we did years ago.

Just can't imagine being slower than Bayless, lol
Skip is a joke.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Dak was holding out and insisting on a 4 year deal. He refused a longer one.
He had to make sure he stole his money in the least amount of time while not being able to trade him for pennies. If he had a longer contract he would of been traded right after that horrific last playoff game.