Signed by Cowboys ***Undrafted FA Signings Thread***

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought they were already available. In that case, maybe we'll pick up Marquette King. I'd probably prefer to try one of the two rookies, Charlton or Turk, but King has proven ability, even if he's a bit flamboyant for a punter.
I referenced a PDF of dates I d/l from the NFL site months ago. With all the recent events, maybe things have changed.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought they were already available. In that case, maybe we'll pick up Marquette King. I'd probably prefer to try one of the two rookies, Charlton or Turk, but King has proven ability, even if he's a bit flamboyant for a punter.
Chris Jones had some problems last year, and competition never hurts. Once they get injuries, it usually signals problems. Our kickers used to be money, but alas, not forever.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Chris Jones had some problems last year, and competition never hurts. Once they get injuries, it usually signals problems. Our kickers used to be money, but alas, not forever.

To me, it's like Zeurlein. Maybe last year is the outlier because of injuries, but we don't know that. Forbath proved he's a good player to have for competition at kicker in case what we saw from Zeurlein last year is the new normal. We need to do the same thing at punter and not just assume Jones is going to get better.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, now that I checked, when the XFL folded on March 12, their commissioner gave permission for players to sign March 23. About 12 players signed back then, but no punters. Couldn't hurt to try out.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, it's like Zeurlein. Maybe last year is the outlier because of injuries, but we don't know that. Forbath proved he's a good player to have for competition at kicker in case what we saw from Zeurlein last year is the new normal. We need to do the same thing at punter and not just assume Jones is going to get better.
I think he was injured and then rushed back either on his own or by the coaches. Never hurts to test the waters.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have something in place but decided to hold off getting it done until after the draft. Maybe just to see what fell in their laps or to make everyone think they were going QB whenever they were approaching their picks.
The hoodie is much too clever to just stand pat (yeah, pun not intended.) Maybe they have a big trade cooked up or they like what they have in fourth rounder Stidham or backup Hoyer? Hmmm...

Oneiros

Reaction score
What does this guy see that literally no one else does. I haven't see a single write up on him that says he is anything but average.
I've been wondering the same thing. The only real positive that I've seen was his size.

Outside of that though its been a real head scratcher.

fansince68

Reaction score
Noah Brown's value is as a match-up player in the run game.

He is a terrific blocker but defenses have stayed in Nickel when he is in the game but defenses go to base if a 2nd TE is in the game.

Brown has been a dominant blocker against NFL Strong Safeties and has won his share of blocks vs LBs.

Brown has also been a top special teams player.

The problem is that he can't stay healthy and his niche role combined with being an injury risk player will make it difficult for him to make the team this year.
3 years maybe 4 good blocks that I haven't seen. I keep hearing the same stuff about Brown. Time to cut bait and move on. I'm confident that McCarthy and any coach that can watch film will agree.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hearing McM comment in the wrap-up presser, my natural follow-up question would've been, "So, given the relationship you appear to already have had with the player, was there some reason to suspect that he wouldn't have signed as a UDFA, so you needed to draft him?"

Snarky question, yes, but seems only reasonable.

Its the money.

Teams are limited on how much money they can spend on UDFAs, so if there is a highly coveted one that a lot of teams want the money can escalate very quickly. That is how Dallas lost that WR that initially agreed to sign with them and then the Vikes stepped in doubled the offer. Dallas could have matched, but it would have limited what they could have spent on some other UDFAs.

To put it in perspective, some of these UDFAs are actually making more money than if they were drafted in the 7th round. So yeah, its very smart to draft a QB in the 7th (several teams actually did this, not just Dallas) because the money is already slotted and you got the player's rights for 4 years.